Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New old processors

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm currently working for a company that repairs old systems. Does anyone know a place in Ireland where I can buy New old processors.

EG. Pentium 4, Celeron processors single core. Still in packaging. x86 (32bit)
    single core. max 3.00 Ghz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Amazon.co.uk or Scan.co.uk might have something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I don't think you can get them new as they stop manufacturing old CPU's pretty soon after a new generation is out, second hand/refurbished is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 peter4sks

The pc's that i'm fixing are fairly important so i couldn't really rely on second hand processors. (To be honest I have a couple of second hand one's that could get me out if i'm really stuck)

Plus I wouldn't really trust a processor that has been shipped around a couple of times and possibly handled alot. I heard there was a guy around Manooth somewhere that sells New packets of old Ram and processors. Have either of you guys heard of him before.

I had a quick look on Amazon and Scan.co.uk there and couldn't find what I was looking for. The processor I need today is a Celeron D 331 2.66GHz LGA.

Thanks for the quick Replies.

Peter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I can't help you with where to find them, but as far as trusting second hand stuff, with a CPU, it either works or doesn't, very, very rarely does it do something inbetween.

I don't know of many people who overclocked that era stuff, and most of the second hand market in Ireland would be stripped from Dell machines, so its quite safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Can you not get another compatible CPU instead? One of the P4's on Scan might do the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

All CPUs are faulty - it's impossible to check them so just go with a second hand one. It works or it doesn't.

In really mission critical systems (like fighter aircraft) you'll find things like Motorola 68020s being used because they can be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

If failure is a major concern in an commercial environment you should be using workstation/server grade components i.e. Intel Xeon as they have a much lower failure rate and have built in error correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 peter4sks

I got sorted. Thanks!!!!! Had a look around and found a nearly new 08 machine that had a pentium 4 LGA cpu in it.
    Done the trick. thanks for the help.

Advertisement