Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 week blow dry/permanent blow dry - whats the verdict?

• 29-08-2012 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭

i am going on hols in a month and i think i would like to get a permanent blow dry.
    i have curly hair and i do not wanna spend loads of time trying to tame it while i am away.

so I read that these were dangerous years ago as they used formaldahyde?

are they still on the go and are they any safer?

also can i get it done in cork?

thanks in advance, S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'm not sure where in Cork does it but here in Dublin there are salons using a new product that's formaldehyde free. The old product was taken off the shelves because of this ingredient so you won't find it in any of them now.

I haven't had the blow dry done myself but my friend has it done at the mo and she loves it, no frizz and easy to manage.I think you need to use a sulphate free shampoo & conditioner during the 12 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for that,..

what about permanent straightening or is that the same thing as the blow dry?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sporina wrote: »
    i am going on hols in a month and i think i would like to get a permanent blow dry.
    i have curly hair and i do not wanna spend loads of time trying to tame it while i am away.

so I read that these were dangerous years ago as they used formaldahyde?

are they still on the go and are they any safer?

also can i get it done in cork?

thanks in advance, S

There are a few 12 week blow dry formulas on the market, they will not straighten your hair but will take the frizz away. I find it great especially in hols as my hair won't react to crazy humidity! I still need to blow dry and straighten my hair but it takes no time like ten mins in total! You need to use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I have had it done loads and the best one I have found is called gk hair (it used to be called global hair). Some places try and rip you off by charging €150++++ plus shampoo and conditioner! I pay €120 which includes sgampoo, conditioner and follow up blow dry. There is a salon in Dublin offering permanent straightening it's called "yuko" but is extremely expensive (€350) and cannot be used on hair that has been highlighted, it is meant to be amazing and grows out from the root. I have seen the results and it is unreal but unfortunately my hair was highlighted up to 3 months ago so it will be awhile until I can get it done!

Millem wrote: »
    There are a few 12 week blow dry formulas on the market, they will not straighten your hair but will take the frizz away. I find it great especially in hols as my hair won't react to crazy humidity! I still need to blow dry and straighten my hair but it takes no time like ten mins in total! You need to use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I have had it done loads and the best one I have found is called gk hair (it used to be called global hair). Some places try and rip you off by charging €150++++ plus shampoo and conditioner! I pay €120 which includes sgampoo, conditioner and follow up blow dry. There is a salon in Dublin offering permanent straightening it's called "yuko" but is extremely expensive (€350) and cannot be used on hair that has been highlighted, it is meant to be amazing and grows out from the root. I have seen the results and it is unreal but unfortunately my hair was highlighted up to 3 months ago so it will be awhile until I can get it done!

cool thanks a mill for all that…

i have been quoted €238 for treatment and shampoo and conditioner in cork - its lisse I think or something like that…

i am gonna shop around though..

I will also ask about GK.. thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

i have been quoted €238 for treatment and shampoo and conditioner in cork - its lisse I think or something like that…

Wow that's expensive! My friend paid €100.

• Advertisement

You are being ripped off!! http://www.salonaddict.ie/search.aspx?service=hairdressing%2b12-week-blow-dry&country=ireland
    I think that one is very new, I saw an advertisement in the window of a salon that uses alfaparf products. (which I don't rate!). If it came to it I would travel to Dublin as you will save over €100! If you were to travel to Dublin I find Susan Barry the best at 12 week blow dries and does not scrimp on the product! It lasts me nearly 5-6 months! Also beware of "deals" there is one currently on a well known site for €99 and I have heard so many bad reviews about there 12 week blow dry!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How curly is your hair?

The more curly it is, the less the 12 week blow dry will do for you.
    I have very curly hair and two different hairdressers advised me not to have it done, as it would still be very wavy

Stheno wrote: »
    How curly is your hair?

I have very curly hair and two different hairdressers advised me not to have it done, as it would still be very wavy

The hairdressers are right it will still be curly but there will be no frizz and I really mean no frizz hail, rain or shine!

i have coarse/frizzy hair as oppose to curly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Stheno wrote: »
    How curly is your hair?

Thats because it's not a straightening treatment and anyone who advertises it as such is lying. It's a defrizzer and your hair will have the exact same curls just smoother.

• Advertisement

i am going to have it done anyway cos my hair is soooooo coarse and frizzy…

what are the shampoo/conditioner products that I have to use afterwards? what is special about them and how much do they retail for? a few salons are charging €38 for them???

Could I just buy them myself?

i am going to have it done anyway cos my hair is soooooo coarse and frizzy…

what are the shampoo/conditioner products that I have to use afterwards? what is special about them and how much do they retail for? a few salons are charging €38 for them???

Could I just buy them myself?

Any decent salon should include a bottle of each in the price of your treatment. It is essential that you use that shampoo and conditioner only or otherwise the treatment will not last in your hair. They are sulfate free. I pay €15 each for 300ml and it says on bottle no sulfates, no parabens, no gluten, no phylates, no dea, no tea, no petrolatum, no paraffin.

Any decent salon should include a bottle of each in the price of your treatment. It is essential that you use that shampoo and conditioner only or otherwise the treatment will not last in your hair. They are sulfate free. I pay €15 each for 300ml and it says on bottle no sulfates, no parabens, no gluten, no phylates, no dea, no tea, no petrolatum, no paraffin.

really? brand ? where can i get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Veronica P

12 week I'd say

Veronica P wrote: »
    12 week I'd say

huh?

really? brand ? where can i get them?

The brand is gk hair and I get them from Susan Barry hair design as this is the brand of 12 week blow dry she does. Some people will tell you just to get sulfate free shampoo e.g tigi or organix which you can get in boots but I would not recommend it! Use the brand of shampoo that is the brand of 12 week blow dry as then at least you will have come back as some hairdressers are very stingey on the amount of product that they put on your hair and obviously it won't work as well!

Advertisement