Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice walking trails in East Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

We just moved to East Cork and I'm wondering if there are any nice walking trails or woods to bring my dog - better still if there is a shallow river or lake so she can go swimming as she's not too keen on swimming in the sea. I heard about a woods just before you come to Castlemartyr village but it was closed off yesterday.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey there - the woods is actually in Killeagh - near that "thatched" pub and it is a gorgeous woodlands. Also, head down to the beaches - went dog walking with a friend recently - beach out Ballymaloe/Ballycotton way i.e. close to Shanagarry - his dog enjoyed chasing a stick for what seemed like hours, my shoulders are still trying to recover from throwing said stick. Head to Whitebay - i.e. pass Whitegate refinery towards lighthouse. There is a car park at roadside of Whitebay and you can head down path to beach there. Or Garryvoe beach - miles of sand to walk on there. As much as dogs love woodlands - they just love running into the sea - (and shaking all over you later). And hopefully your dog will learn to love the sea too - but there is enough sand to run along, to avoid wet paws :D Welcome to East Cork - it's an undiscovered gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

Judes wrote: »
    Hey there - the woods is actually in Killeagh - near that "thatched" pub and it is a gorgeous woodlands. Also, head down to the beaches - went dog walking with a friend recently - beach out Ballymaloe/Ballycotton way i.e. close to Shanagarry - his dog enjoyed chasing a stick for what seemed like hours, my shoulders are still trying to recover from throwing said stick. Head to Whitebay - i.e. pass Whitegate refinery towards lighthouse. There is a car park at roadside of Whitebay and you can head down path to beach there. Or Garryvoe beach - miles of sand to walk on there. As much as dogs love woodlands - they just love running into the sea - (and shaking all over you later). And hopefully your dog will learn to love the sea too - but there is enough sand to run along, to avoid wet paws :D Welcome to East Cork - it's an undiscovered gem!

Thank you so so much!! I am beginning to see a little of beautiful Easy Cork! We were in Garryvoe yesterday but the waves were too high for my little furry friend! She's only a puppy though so hopefully she will get more brave as time goes by. Are there any lakes around? I saw the one on the road between Midleton & Castlemartyr but it doesn't look like you can access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There are nice woods in Rostellan(on the whitegate road from Midleton) Past Aghada GAA club(turn right past the swans as you enter rostellan. They felled a lot of it lately, and the weather has made it quite muddy too though.
    There is also a lovely walk that goes from rostellan to whitegate along the waterside. Lots of people walk their dogs there, but it is 5 miles long in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Ballyannan woods outside Midleton is nice.

There's two ways in, take dwyers road at the side of Midleton Park Hotel and keep going till you run out of laneway. Or there is a car park on the Bailick road next to the N25 (but not immediately accessible from it) with a walkway through to dwyers road. As a bonus there are dog poo bins along this walk (maintained by Midleton Tidy Towns volunteers) so you don't have to take smelly bags home in your car.

Ballycotton Cliff Walk is very good as well

I second Garryvoe and Whitebay.

There is a nice roadside / harbourside walk from aghada to whitegate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I haven't been there, but a friend takes his dogs to a reservoir north of Carrigtwohill, Tibbottstown I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For the record, there is a woods in Castlemartyr, and while it's not as nice as Glenbower, it's a fine woods for a walk and there's a few paths off the main drag if you fancy an explore. You can get to it from the Cork side but best way to come at it is to head for Garryvoe, you'll find an entrance on the right just past the entrance for Castlemartyr Resort. There's barriers at both entrances, but there's no parking inside anyway, just park on the road and walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

Thank you all so so much! Can't wait to start exploring!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jadestar

Louboutfan wrote: »
    Thank you so so much!! I am beginning to see a little of beautiful Easy Cork! We were in Garryvoe yesterday but the waves were too high for my little furry friend! She's only a puppy though so hopefully she will get more brave as time goes by. Are there any lakes around? I saw the one on the road between Midleton & Castlemartyr but it doesn't look like you can access it.

Hi, the gate to that entrance of the woods is always closed, just park your car up and walk through, if we are talking about the same one. It is just before Castlemartyr on the right, coming from Midleton. There is a lovely lake there, it looks over to the Castlemarytyr resort, nice and peaceful in the evenings. You also access the woods on the other side of the resort by going through the resort :) (well through their car park)

Advertisement