Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking thin-ish slices of loin of bacon

Options
  • 29-08-2012 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi all,

I accidently bought loin of bacon at the weekend instead of pork fillet. (Yup, I'm a doofus).

It was a 500g piece which I divided in three approximately one inch thick medallions. It was when I fried one of these that I realised my (highly salty) mistake. :o

I'm just wondering how would I cook the remaining pieces, baring in mind I have apple sauce made, which I realise doesn't really go, but waste not want not! They'll need to be boiled a bit, I know, to remove some of the salt but I'd like to either finish them in the pan or oven if possible. I know how my mother cooked bigger lumps of bacon for dinner and for the Christmas ham, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the thinner pieces. How long should I boil them for? Bascially, what would you do?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Quorum wrote: »
    Hi all,

I accidently bought loin of bacon at the weekend instead of pork fillet. (Yup, I'm a doofus).

It was a 500g piece which I divided in three approximately one inch thick medallions. It was when I fried one of these that I realised my (highly salty) mistake. :o

I'm just wondering how would I cook the remaining pieces, baring in mind I have apple sauce made, which I realise doesn't really go, but waste not want not! They'll need to be boiled a bit, I know, to remove some of the salt but I'd like to either finish them in the pan or oven if possible. I know how my mother cooked bigger lumps of bacon for dinner and for the Christmas ham, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the thinner pieces. How long should I boil them for? Bascially, what would you do?

Thanks! :)

You could always slice them thinner and use them as rashers?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm assuming they're about an inch thick? If so I'd boil them for 30 to 45 minutes, then pat them dry and fry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

You could always slice them thinner and use them as rashers?!

I can foresee chopped off fingers! :)
    I'm assuming they're about an inch thick? If so I'd boil them for 30 to 45 minutes, then pat them dry and fry them.

Will try this! :)
    Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not a pasta fan but this sounds good minus the pasta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Oh, one q. Do you boil for the 30 minutes, or bring to the boil then reduce the heat?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's al awful long time to boil a piece of meat that small.

Quorum wrote: »
    Oh, one q. Do you boil for the 30 minutes, or bring to the boil then reduce the heat?

put the chop (for lack of a better word) in a cold water and bring to a boil and then turn it down to a very gentle simmer.

Give it about 15 minutes and pat dry if you are going to fry it aswell.

Or just leave it for about 20 minutes and add in some cabbage and serve it with mash and white sauce and you have bacon and cabbage.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/bacon/pages/baconchops.aspx

That's not a bad bacon chop recipe either.

Bacon chops are actually quite nice, you just need to be careful what you pair it with.

I'd imagine the extra seasoning you added to it when you fried it (I'd assume you seasoned it if you thought it was pork) would have made it seem a lot salter than it actually is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Seaneh wrote: »
    That's al awful long time to boil a piece of meat that small.

You're probably right. 20 minutes would probably be enough - it's just that you'd want it to be tender.
    My generation tend to boil the bejakers out of bacon!

You're probably right. 20 minutes would probably be enough - it's just that you'd want it to be tender.
    My generation tend to boil the bejakers out of bacon!

haha, well I'd reckon 40mins per kg is about right, at a low simmer, and if it's a big piece of meat (3kg or more) I like do to 20mins over as well. just because that's how I was told how to do it in college :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement