Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 29-08-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone,

Think this is only my second or third post! I am at the references stage of securing a new job in Dublin but being from Cork my knowledge of Dublin is terrifyingly bad.

I'll be working in Stephen's Green side of town and my boyfriend will be working around O'Connell Street.

Where should we live? We would like 2 bed, within 20 mins walking distance of either work area but an area with a villagey feel if that makes sense?

I am looking at Drumcondra? Also, is €1100 a fair enough budget to get something good?

Any advice anyone has would be really appreciated, we have about 3 weeks to turn this around!

Thank you :)
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Drumcondra is a great spot to live, especially if you're a younger couple. €1100 will definitely get you a nice 2 bed there. There are 2 beds available from anything from 900/950 upwards, depending on what standard you're looking for.

When you're looking, on daft.ie for example, I'd advise including Phibsborough and maybe Glasnevin in your search as a lot of great places would be on the border of Drumcondra/Phibsborough or Drumcondra/Glasnevin but their actual address might not show up in a search for Drumcondra alone.

For example, I currently live opposite train station in the middle of Drumcondra and in about a month am moving to an apartment on the canal between Phibsborough & Drumcondra, literally a couple of minutes around the corner. I only found this apartment when searching for places in Phibsborough but I'm actually the exact same distance from town/work/etc as I am in my current place, and only a 5-7 min walk to my current place, which is right in the middle of Drumcondra.

Also, your boyfriend won't have a long walk into O'Connell St from Drumcondra but your walk to St. Stephens' Green will be a bit more than 20 mins. It's still easily commutable, probably a 35 min walk (depending on where in Drumcondra you are) or a 15 min bus journey.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the house hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 portiani

Oh that's really helpful, thank you so much! I'll expand the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

To the north as has been mentioned you have Phibsborough and Drumcondra.

To the west, Stoneybatter probably has the village feel to it moreso than Smithfield.

To the east, the IFSC/Grand Canal Dock area, although they are often very quiet at the weekends in my experience.

Then to the south Rathmines and Ranelagh are easily walkable from St. Stephen's Green.

Just a few more areas for you to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 portiani

Thanks Clive, I will add those areas in, really helpful cheers!

Advertisement