Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared SNA for 7 year old - does anyone know what this means ?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Started back to school this morning. My 7 year old is special needs and has had full time Special Needs Assistant for the last 3 years.
    The school was hectic this morning.
    When the Teacher arrived, she told me my son would have a 'Shared Special Needs Assistant ' this year and hurried into the class.
    Another lady who I have not met before passed me and said I will be with him for now and the door was closed.
    Went to the office but no one available who knew anything.

I am not a very forceful person (and a widowed mom) so I didn't know what to do next. I am home and have searched online and cant find anything to explain what an Shared Special Needs Assistant means.
    I would like to have the information before I try and speak to the teacher this afternoon

Can anyone help ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It basically means the SNA will be shared between him and another child(ren).

Last school year the allocations for SNA's were handed out you should have found out then what hours your son would have for himself. A lot of them were cut. Some kids who previously had SNA's now have none at all.

Speak to your principal and find out why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Shared sna means there is another child in the class the the sna will be looking after as well as your child. Mine has had a shared sna for the last two years in secondary school.

I suggest you ring the school and ask to speak to the resource co coordinator and the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I don't know yet if my son will have a shared sna he had one last year she worked from 10 to 1 and he had my son and another boy in the same class, sometimes snas are shared between kids in other classes.

His going into senior infants. I hope by this time next year he wont need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

Contacted the school and they were very sorry, I should have been told before my child started today who the SNA would be whether full or shared and all explained.
    I also should have been told about resource hours and who the teacher would be.
    happy to say shared, in my childs case, is an SNA with my child except when my child attends resource, the SNA will attend another child then.

Have also learnt the shared SNA can mean , SNA shared in the classroom with another child or shared with a child in another class.
    Again thanks.

Advertisement