Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cave. RIP.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Looks like the beginning of the end. I doubt Cave will be trading in 2013, we might not even see DDPSDOJ at this rate. :(

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119331-Cave-CEO-Bails

Sad news alright. I was just wondering the same, will DDPSDOJ see the light of day on the 360.

How come they never released the games on PS3 I wonder - isn't that a bigger seller than 360 over in Japan anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sad news alright. I was just wondering the same, will DDPSDOJ see the light of day on the 360.

How come they never released the games on PS3 I wonder - isn't that a bigger seller than 360 over in Japan anyway?

Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It's pretty upsetting news alright. I wonder if they'll disband and reform all the wayward elements of Toaplan, Raizing, G.Rev and Gazelle? That would be a great result if poor Cave shuts it's doors. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

:(

RIP Shmups.

1971-2012

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If Cave do go under the guys will just form another company to make shmups. There's way to much passion in the team for them to take it lightly and disappear. At least we still have G.Rev. As much as I much prefer traditional shmups to Cave's Danmakus which I was never fond of it will still be a sad day if they go under.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not really in the least bit surprising TBH. Frankly, we got more good games than we could have realistically hoped for from a tiny, uber-niche company. Their basic formula has rarely changed, though, so would be nice to see people innovating more if this new gap in the market does appear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Perhaps they should have made more MMO's, SMT Imagine isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

It wasn't CAVE but Sony that prevented them to release shmups on the PS3 , and others like Konami and G-Rev followed .
    Only Mamoru kun was released on the PS3 with a terrible horizontal stretched version that killed the game and so it tanked sales wise .

I read every year that CAVE closes or goes bankrupt so I'm still optimistic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Casey120 wrote: »
    It wasn't CAVE but Sony that prevented them to release shmups on the PS3 , and others like Konami and G-Rev followed .
    Only Mamoru kun was released on the PS3 with a terrible horizontal stretched version that killed the game and so it tanked sales wise .

I read every year that CAVE closes or goes bankrupt so I'm still optimistic :D

You have to hand it to Sony, if there's a way to drop the ball, Sony more often than not finds it.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If Cave do go under the guys will just form another company to make shmups. There's way to much passion in the team for them to take it lightly and disappear. At least we still have G.Rev. As much as I much prefer traditional shmups to Cave's Danmakus which I was never fond of it will still be a sad day if they go under.

Think of it this way though, Cave were a big name in a tiny market. If a company like that can't make it, do you really think it's employees are going to think it's a good idea to form another one?

Maybe. But then maybe they'll just go on to find another job and make doujin shmups, who knows.

I'm not into Cave's latest releases either by the way, much rather tranditional shmups too. But I can appreciate what they've done and it will make a lot of people sad :(

On a side note, anyone think this will make their current releases skyrocket on ebay? I may take this as a chance to pick up some ones I still need to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

My rose tinted and optimistic take on it :

Miko Watanabe resigned last May and Mashahito took over , he wanted to reform CAVE to make other, in his vision more profitable stuff like MMO's and puzzle games instead of Shmups but then SaiDaiOuJou was released in the Arcades and it was a succes , they made good money , so good in fact that MS asked CAVE for a port which they agreed on .
    They made so much money on Iphone/Android shmup ports and SDOJ for the arcades that Mashahito's new reforming plans didn't fall good any more with the rest of the staff and he now leaves .
    Under the new chief Takano they will continue to release at least 2 awesome Shmups a year and prosper starting with a Yawaga BL version of SDOJ :P

All hail CAVE !

Pyongyang can untie that rope from the ceiling now.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pyongyang can untie that rope from the ceiling now.

Anyone ever see the episode of breaking bad with the ATM machine?

I'm pretty sure that's how Pyong would choose go. Just replace the ATM with his Astro.

tumblr_m3pvt3h3vm1qg39ewo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Play this and imagine a montage of cave games playing.

Even though I'm not massively into the games and fairly crap at them, always sad to see awesome an company go under

Excellent choice JB, but in all honesty though, this is probably the most fitting piece of music for Cave, Toaplan, Raizing, Gazelle and all those that have gone before.

I dare you not to let the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end listening to that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Excellent choice JB, but in all honesty though, this is probably the most fitting piece of music for Cave, Toaplan, Raizing, Gazelle and all those that have gone before.

I dare you not to let the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end listening to that. :)

sampled in here and used well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Love that song in 28 Days Later, fantastic film aswell

Thats another one that would be good, sh1t I really want to make a video of that now. But I have no video editing software on this computer, waiting for a new build next month.

Advertisement