Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant not approved yet.. Mature student WIT.. Time table ?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm eligible for back to education and I have applied to Susi to cover fees. Im certain they will but I still have to send another piece of documentation of to Susi so It won't be approved in time for registration. I'm going doing level 8 social care in WIT and just wondering if I can register without paying on the day, will the college wait till my grant is approved.
    Also if anyone has any advice for me regarding mature student life. What kind of time table can I expect for first year?
    I have two kids and It would be so handy to be home at a reasonable time because i live an hour away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Re registration, some colleges understand that people are waiting on the fee grant etc and will grant you a grace period. They may not complete your registration without payment of the fee but that usually does not stop you from attending lectures. It just means that you wont get your student card which can prevent you taking out library books. If you pay the fee yourself then it will be reimbursed.

Hope this helps

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kapa

I am going back to do a level 8 also. I rang the College but they could'nt give me a timetable yet. They said that its approx 20 hrs per week and usually dont have any classes on Friday afternoon. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

I started a level 8 degree last year as a mature and the vec did not approve my grant until may this year, after college year ended!!
    The college was fine with it, they might ask you for confirmation from the awarding body that it is being processed, just check with your college but I wouldn't be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deeol

Thanks for replies.

I think I'm just getting nervous now and impatient. I received a letter yesterday from college about induction on Monday so maybe they will explain things and we might also get a timetable.

Deeol. I got a letter from WIT yesterday also about the induction day on Monday. I think we will get the timetable when we go into register next week

• Advertisement

What day do we register kapa, I've not received anything from WIT about registration day. I phoned them a few weeks ago and the girl I spoke with told me she thinks it's the 4th or 5th but wasn't certain.

She also said that we would receive an information pack at the end of August

I think registration is Wed and Thurs of next week. We are supposed to get a letter in the post this week about the registration process, but I didnt get anything yet. All I got was the letter about the Induction on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

kapa wrote: »
    I think registration is Wed and Thurs of next week. We are supposed to get a letter in the post this week about the registration process, but I didnt get anything yet. All I got was the letter about the Induction on Monday.

Well I haven't recieved anything from WIT yet.

I read on the website that you will recieve a registration pack on the 30th/31st of this month, that will allow you to access the online registration and fee payments section. If you don't recieve your reg pack on the 31st your to contact the college immediately.

Registration is the 5th and 6th, with an induction day for all first years on the 7th. Not sure what the induction on Monday, that you guys have recieved a letter about, is for.

Thanks Kapa,
    Maybe we'll get something in the post tomorrow

• Advertisement

TomWN, the letter stated it was induction for mature students

Deeol wrote: »
    TomWN, the letter stated it was induction for mature students

Deeol, I am a mature student myself. However, I have attained a cert and diploma in civil engineering from WIT in the past. Maybe it's for mature students who haven't attened 3rd level before or haven't attended WIT.

TomWN
    Thats probably it. I havent been to college before so it must be for complete newbies ha ha

TomWN I did 3rd level in WIT before and I got a letter to go in on Monday. Maybe you should contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

im a mature student also, i ll be doing psych but i did nt receive anything from WIT either. im hoping i ll get something tomorrow or fri the latest.

kapa wrote: »
    TomWN I did 3rd level in WIT before and I got a letter to go in on Monday. Maybe you should contact them.

I'll contact them on Friday morning anyway if I don't recieve any registration info. I'll leave this til then. It may be just slow coming through An Post, which is all to common.
    john 08 wrote: »
    im a mature student also, i ll be doing psych but i did nt receive anything from WIT either. im hoping i ll get something tomorrow or fri the latest.

Like myself I you recieve nothing by Friday morning you'd best contact them then

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi I am in the same situation , also doing social care , 3 kids , waiting to hear from Susi.
    Also waiting to hear from WIT.

I rang Susi my status is pending on reseipt of the information they requested. I explained to them I sent in the information 2-3 weeks ago.. So from what I under stand my information is in a pile some where in the postal room. They do not know when they will get to it.

Does any else have more information?????

Deeol wrote: »
    I'm eligible for back to education and I have applied to Susi to cover fees. Im certain they will but I still have to send another piece of documentation of to Susi so It won't be approved in time for registration. I'm going doing level 8 social care in WIT and just wondering if I can register without paying on the day, will the college wait till my grant is approved.
    Also if anyone has any advice for me regarding mature student life. What kind of time table can I expect for first year?
    I have two kids and It would be so handy to be home at a reasonable time because i live an hour away.

I found this on pdf for new students on registraion page for WIT http://www.wit.ie/current_students/student_affairs/registration

NOTE re Fee Payment
    a. If you have been awarded or applied for a Maintenance Grant select YES
    i. Click ‘Pay WITCard fee only now’ button (€15 fee)
    ii. Ensure to bring the letter of award/confirmation of application from SUSI with you on Registration day

You just need a letter that shows you have applied and you'll be alright.

By the way, anyone get their reg details from WIT today yet?

Thanks TomWN
    I still got no reg details but maybe tomorrow it might arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

just to let people know, i got my letter in the door this morning and i registered online. i ll be going in nxt thursday 6th to register in WIT.

• Advertisement

john 08 wrote: »
    just to let people know, i got my letter in the door this morning and i registered online. i ll be going in nxt thursday 6th to register in WIT.

Just got mine as well. In to complete registration on the 6th as well.

I got mine too :-) all very exciting

Advertisement