Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Lessons?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I have searched through the forum for any threads on this, and seems to be just a few dead links.

Does anybody know where one might take (reasonably priced!) guitar lessons in Kilkenny?

Few things;

I've been playing for over 5 years. I've never had a lesson before, I'm looking to tidy up my playing, and develop my skills.

So, I'm not looking for somebody who can teach me a few basic chords and that kind of thing (not knocking that, we all have to start somewhere). I'm a little more advanced than that, though to be honest I've probably skipped a few of the basic things I should have learned from day 1!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Try calling into the two music shops in Kilkenny - Essaness and Brodericks - as almost all tutors will advertise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Clive Barnes is a world-class slide/bluegrass/blues player as well as an excellent rock player, I saw him advertising lessons on a poster in Brodericks. You could also message him on his Facebook.

I saw an ad last week in the KK advertiser for Mark McGrath who's a classical guitarist, so if you wanted to learn theory and all that craic he'd be a good one.

Every music teacher should teach theory, regardless of style or even instrument.

If they don't understand the importance of theory change to someone who does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Thanks for the heads up, I have contacted both Clive and Mark. I'll update when I hear back!

And Sky King, I totally agree with you.. the reason I'm looking for guitar lessons is to build a knowledge of theory so I can learn to apply it, something I've neglected to do over the last 5 years. I wouldn't waste my time or money if I wasn't learning theory!

Yeah I am the same, though i have learned an awful lot from youtube tutorials, which are free! :)

No point paying 25 buck an hour to someone if they are just going to give you scales to play, you can do all your scales yourself with YT.

• Advertisement

Can't beat Marty Schwartz's lessons on YouTube for some song tutorials!

No reply from either of the two I have contacted, but a friend directed me to this website;

www.kilkennyrock.com

Seems interesting, I've got in touch with them, and will be attending a Saturday session next weekend (15th).

The picture on the site looks ROCKIN!

Seriously though, keep us posted. I'm interested.

Seems like a good idea to have different musicians jamming together etc.

I will keep you posted!

It does sound to me like a great idea. It's not going to yield the same results I'm sure as one on one lessons for technicalities and whatnot, but it's bound to improve timing, plus it seems cool to be part of a bunch of people playing a song together, rather than sitting alone somewhere playing the guitar part and mentally filling in the bass part ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

hi paul - if you PM me i'll give you clive number.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement