Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felting (torch on) a coal bunker lid

• 29-08-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Folks have a reasonably large (2.5x1.2m) coal bunker and boiler house which needs a new lid, original is there donkeys years and falling apart. It's currently felted, and I figure I need to do the same. No danger of burning a house down or anything, so happy to tackle it myself - it's basically just felting a sheet of 8x4 ply

Will a small campinggaz blowtorch like this
    9018546_1.JPG&sa=X&ei=q_Q9UJOdJIrOhAffjoCQCQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Hg&usg=AFQjCNGG29VnIvcbN7yiMFDuVwur45L4kw
    do the job or will it not be hot enough? Any other suggestions besides torch-on?

How is this stuff applied? It's way cheaper than torch on, and cheap is good, as I said it's just the roof of a bunker.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

3/4 inch galvanised clout nails.

Start with a strip at the bottom and overlap each strip about 8", the lap covering the row of nails. Fold the edges over and either staple or use clouts underneath. Use a complete strip for the apex, you will have plenty left if you are only doing an 8 X 4 sheet.

Should last 8 - 10 years.

TT

Advertisement