Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with behavior of Mod.

• 29-08-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

I wish to complain about the behavior of one of the MODs in the Christianity forum - PDN - specifically regarding this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056736856&page=3#31.

In this post the MOD in question launched a personal attack on the poster (me) stating that 'But I think, either through ignorance or dishonesty, that you are prepared to exploit it.' I cannot see this as any thing but an unwarranted and uncalled for comment. When I protested I was told by the same MOD to 'Oh spare us the fake outrage' (post#33).

I reported the post but nothing was done.

I am not alone in believing this MOD was specifically targeting me for personal abuse -another poster did comment on PDN's attitude towards me personally (post # 41) and the response was that an ad homenium 'no matter how off the wall her opinions are'. Which I commented that in this instance means that I do not agree with this MOD. I certainly do not think that in the context of this thread my statements that there is a sectarian element to the recent violence in Belfast is in anyway 'off the wall'.

In post #51 I addressed the MOD personally and stated 'Disagree with me all you wish, but there is no need to be so uncivil about it.'

I was rounded on and accused of being uncivil myself for disagreeing with people who believed there is no sectarian element in violence in NI. If that is the case - why was I not infracted? At no point was I uncivil, I made my case by showing statements form Ian Paisley that were clearly anti-Roman Catholic and therefore sectarian and pointed out the influence of Paisley as a political figure.

When I realised the thread had become derailed due to the actions of a MOD, I politely requested, as OP, that the thread be closed as I feel this is a very serious topic could quickly descend into a flame war if posters see that a MOD is leading the charge when it comes to attacking posters. I was then accussed of 'having a hissy fit'.

I stated my position clearly in post #59
    PDN.

With the greatest of respect I decline to engage with someone who resorts to unnecessary personal abuse of the sort contained in post #31, which I have also quoted, and is not sanctioned for doing so.

It makes a mockery of the term debate when a moderator is allowed to flaunt the charter and attack the poster not the post.

Yet another poster commented on PDN's attack on me personally (post #64)
    and his response was (#65):

In fact I was using the word 'ignorant' to be charitable to her. It would be easy to assume that she was doing a Dawkins and that her exploitation of sectarian violence was wholly dishonest. Instead I decided to cut her some slack and allow for the fact that she might be genuinely mistaken and just isn't very well informed about Northern Irish tribal warfare. After all, not everybody has had the misfortune to grow up North of the border or to live there for any length of time.

My main issue is that this thread quickly became a train wreck directly because of the actions of a MOD who decided to attack a poster rather then deal with what that poster was saying. This MOD decided - based on his own suspicions rather than anything I had said in the thread- that I, as OP, had an agenda and resorted to a personal attack based on his incorrect suspicions.

I do find a situation where the MOD of a forum is allowed to insult posters and apparently escape any kind of infraction for doing so to be akin to a MOD being 'above the law'.

I could trawl through the fora and find other instances of this MOD attacking posters - myself included - but as I did not report those at the time I, to an extent, colluded with enabling his behavior.

TBH I didn't report him as I felt there was no point - and given that my report did lead to no infraction perhaps my original assessment was correct - but enough is enough and I ask for clarification of the following

If a MOD is in breach of a forum charter will they be seen to be treated in the same manner as ever other poster and receive a deserved infraction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hi, any chance of someone getting back to me on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hi, any chance of someone getting back to me on this?

Did you tell the mods and cat mods involved that there was a Helpdesk thread opened about this?

Spear wrote: »
    Did you tell the mods and cat mods involved that there was a Helpdesk thread opened about this?

I pm'd one of the C Mods and he advised me to open a thread here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So the mod involved doesn't know of it's existence to respond to it? PM PDN and inform him of it. Including the soc cat mods wouldn't hurt either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, there are other factors at play here, which I am not at liberty to discuss.

So, can we hold off doing anything for the minute and sit tight? It may be a few days before somebody gets back to you.

I'm not trying to fob you off, but I am asking for your cooperation and patience.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »

So, can we hold off doing anything for the minute and sit tight? It may be a few days before somebody gets back to you.

I'm not trying to fob you off, but I am asking for your cooperation and patience.

Thanks.

No worries Tom. Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll sit tight, just wanted to make sure I hadn't inadvertently missed a procedural step somewhere.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Thanks.

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

PDN is no longer a moderator, so I see no point in continuing this discussion.

My issue was not with PDN personally but the fact that he appeared to be able to breach the forum charter and despite reports being sent no action was taken so the fact that he is no longer a MOD doesn't address my basic question which is:

'If a MOD is in breach of a forum charter will they be seen to be treated in the same manner as ever other poster and receive a deserved infraction?'

I think this is an important point of principle and should be clarified.

'If a MOD is in breach of a forum charter will they be seen to be treated in the same manner as ever other poster and receive a deserved infraction?'

Yes, if a mod is in breach of a forum charter, they should be treated as any other poster and if deemed necessary, will receive an infraction.

• Advertisement

Thanks. We can close this now ;).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement