Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why should I (we) pay the new Property Tax???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ncdadam wrote: »
    Well they don't provide it 'free'.

We pay for it through general taxation like we do for all services provided by any

Exactly. There is nothing that the LA provide for free. It is already paid for by our taxes. All our services have been paid for by our taxes. The Property Tax is an extra one which can be raided to pay for their pals gambling debts. At the minute the only service we are not already paying for is water and that will change soon.
    They can spin their tales but the people are wise to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

All our services have been paid for by our taxes.

What planet are you on? Taxes collected are not enough to pay for services, that's why there is a deficit!

All our services have not been paid for by our taxes, many of them have been paid for by borrowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

ardmacha wrote: »
    All our services have not been paid for by our taxes, many of them have been paid for by borrowing.

And who pays back what we borrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

And who pays back what we borrow?

We do, and probably future generations as well.

srsly78 wrote: »
    We do, and probably future generations as well.

My point exactly.

It's not as if we get the money for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

dvpower wrote: »
    There is a house price database with actual sale prices going back two years due to be published next month.

Is this the database that was going to be published in june?

The problem with taking the last two year is that the volume is so low. Less than 30,000 units sold in that period... Compared with over 250,000 units in the 2005 - 2008 period (according to cso). It is just going to be wildly inaccurate.

I have no problem with a property tax in principle. I am in favour of wealth tax in general, and property is a very tangible, and taxable form of wealth. I am concerned that the implementation will be both clumsy and overly expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So how come no one in Ireland even knows how many houses are in Ireland and even who owns them??????

The Goverment,Phil Hogan and LGMA havent a bloody clue who owns what and even what amount of houses are in the country.Neither does Revenue.

NO ONE KNOWS.

So there is no house/property data base.

I bet Google knows, even tho they aren't supposed to :pac:

Can imagine the Revenue firing up Street View... Google maps came in handy for the Greek taxman after all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Revenue doesn't know how many people are liable for Income Tax either and it hasn't really been a problem to date. It's up to taxpayers to declare it as it may be up property owners to declare theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

pwurple wrote: »
    Is this the database that was going to be published in june?

The problem with taking the last two year is that the volume is so low. Less than 30,000 units sold in that period... Compared with over 250,000 units in the 2005 - 2008 period (according to cso). It is just going to be wildly inaccurate.

I have no problem with a property tax in principle. I am in favour of wealth tax in general, and property is a very tangible, and taxable form of wealth. I am concerned that the implementation will be both clumsy and overly expensive.
    It was due to be published earlier and was put off and there is speculation that it will be delayed again.
    And you are right - it will represent low volumes in a volitile market, so its value is limited, but still a useful resource that gets more and more useful as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

People need to realise that this tax has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with LA services.
    This money is being thieved from people to give to unsecured bondholders.

As has been said, it all goes into the one pot only that pot is being emptied at a rapid rate, under the instruction of the ECB, to pay off unsecured secondary bondholders.

People who agree with this tax can dress it up any way they like but that's what's happening.

The property tax goes 100% to local authority funding. Not a cent goes to bondholders etc. That's the fact of the matter - no need to dress it up.

We pay for it through general taxation like we do for all services provided by any LA.

And it's free at point of usage - as stated.

alastair wrote: »
    The property tax goes 100% to local authority funding. Not a cent goes to bondholders etc. That's the fact of the matter - no need to dress it up.

Prove it.
    You say that's a fact, now show me the proof.

Don't google and get me some LGMA paraphernalia. Proper proof.

And it's free at point of usage - as stated.

And paid for by the people of this country. Not free.

We pay for it through general taxation like we do for all services provided by any LA.
    I was clear that it was free at the point of usage. Of course all services need to he paid for and the library service is one such service, provided by your LA, and will be paid for, in part, by the new property tax.

Anyone evading the property tax will still get to use the library service and all other LA services. But I think tolerance will fade fast.

Prove it.

Have you read the legislation?

Have you read the legislation?

No.

There's legislation about a lot of things in this country, doesn't always mean that's what happens though.

You'll have to excuse me for being a bit of a cynic, governments of the past and the broken promises of this one kinda do that to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Prove it.

Well the local authority fund is being cut so in that respect it is going to your LA. As for bondholders, it's probably truer to say it indirectly is funding mostly Welfare and Public Service pay, Health, Education etc. the main expenditure services we have.

The budget deficit is falling to about €13 Billion this year and this helps bringing it down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Prove it.

I didn't notice you providing any proof for your contention, but no matter.

The property tax is going to be a continuation of the HHC statute, albeit now administered through the revenue - but legally directed to local authorities just as the HHC is: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=19980&CatID=87
    12.—(1) All household charges, late payment fees and late payment
    interest payable to a local authority pursuant to this Act are
    placed under the care and management of the local authority
    concerned.

• Advertisement

And paid for by the people of this country. Not free.

Free at point of usage. As was stated.

No.

There's legislation about a lot of things in this country, doesn't always mean that's what happens though.

You'll have to excuse me for being a bit of a cynic, governments of the past and the broken promises of this one kinda do that to ya!
    Oh for fcuk sake.
    You want proof but you won't even accept legislation as proof.

What proof would you accept?
    On second thoughts dont bother. Next.

Free at point of usage. As was stated.

Now you hardly want us to pay for the services twice, do you? :rolleyes:

How are you paying for them twice?
    [Are you paying for them at all?]

How are you paying for them twice?
    [Are you paying for them at all?]

All my other taxes are being kept separate then, are they?

Oh for fcuk sake.
    You want proof but you won't even accept legislation as proof.

What proof would you accept?
    On second thoughts dont bother. Next.

You ok there?

You might believe everything that this government put out as fact, I don't.

They lied through their teeth to get elected, 'things will change, things will be more transparent, there'll be no cronyism' etc etc.

They have proven in 18 months that they are exactly the same as what went before.

I had really high hopes for FG/Labour, I was sadly mistaken.

• Advertisement

All my other taxes are being kept separate then, are they?
    So you're only evading some taxes! Good on you.

You ok there?

You might believe everything that this government put out as fact, I don't.

They lied through their teeth to get elected, 'things will change, things will be more transparent, there'll be no cronyism' etc etc.

They have proven in 18 months that they are exactly the same as what went before.

I had really high hopes for FG/Labour, I was sadly mistaken.
    So, what evidence would satisfy you?

The service is free at point of usage - regardless of whether you've paid for local authority services or not (it's also available to tourists, non-nationals, kids, etc).

As opposed to those local authority services that do require additional payment at point of usage (swimming pools, leisure centres, golf courses, etc)

What tax is he evading?

What tax is he evading?

The HHC.

• Advertisement

Hey now, nothing wrong with good old tax evasion. Avoiding tax however is the criminal one!

So, what evidence would satisfy you?

Suppose everyone pays the HHC or the property tax when it's eventually brought in and the LA's are still cutting services, would this not prove that the money is not going to the LA's?

If we see an improvement in services then I might believe it.

Suppose everyone pays the HHC or the property tax when it's eventually brought in and the LA's are still cutting services, would this not prove that the money is not going to the LA's?

No that would prove that the HHC alone is not enough to fund the LAs, and that they need to be topped up from general coffers.

700,000+ people decided not to pay the HHC either.

They are all very naughty people indeed.................:pac::pac:

Hey now, nothing wrong with good old tax evasion. Avoiding tax however is the criminal one!

Nope. It's the other way 'round.

The HHC.

Sure over half a million haven't paid that.

I am not arguing with you. I pay all my other taxes and you told me on other threads that ALL taxes were put into the same pool. My point is that my income tax, PRSI and USC are in that pot and therefore paying for those services already. Nothing is free.
    If I owe anything then it's 100e plus charges which I will always dispute as I feel a tax on homes is unfair and unjust and not everyone who uses the services are asked to pay for them. I paid a lot of stamp duty too.

Other way around.

Nope. It's the other way 'round.

Oops I always get that mixed up :pac:

That makes 1/2 million evaders so.

• Advertisement

You're not going to see any improvement given that local authority funding is still going to be well down on previous years. The proof that the money goes to the local authorities has been presented to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

paddy147 wrote: »
    700,000+ people decided not to pay the HHC either.

They are all very naughty people indeed.................:pac::pac:

Yes they are. The rest of us good citizens who have paid our taxes are subsidising the leeches who haven't paid theirs.

...yet. And you did ask which tax he was evading - it's that tax.

That makes 1/2 million evaders so.

It sure does,even more if the goverment actually gave out the real figures,instead of just pulling ones from thin air to suit themselves and scaremonger.:rolleyes:

I am not arguing with you. I pay all my other taxes and you told me on other threads that ALL taxes were put into the same pool. My point is that my income tax, PRSI and USC are in that pot and therefore paying for those services already. Nothing is free.
    If I owe anything then it's 100e plus charges which I will always dispute as I feel a tax on homes is unfair and unjust and not everyone who uses the services are asked to pay for them. I paid a lot of stamp duty too.
    It must be nice to be able to pick and choose the laws you choose to obay.

Godge wrote: »
    Yes they are. The rest of us good citizens who have paid our taxes are subsidising the leeches who haven't paid theirs.

Leeches?

The leeches are that section of society who won't even be liable to pay anything!

I'm sure it is until the sting of the penalties kick in.

Have you ever broken a law dv?

Say a law was brought in that you found completely abhorrent, and went against all your principles, would you break it?

We had many laws in this country over a long number of years that people actually took up arms over. Were Pearse, Connolly etc guilty in your eyes?

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    It sure does,even more if the goverment actually gave out the real figures,instead of just pulling ones from thin air to suit themselves and scaremonger.:rolleyes:
    Scaremongering would be overestimating the number of criminals, not underestimating it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement