Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly Moving to Belfast - Advice Needed

Options
  • 29-08-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I may be moving to Belfast in the next month or so in relation to a job, however it's not set in stone yet but I'd like to get some advice on the best places to move to and places to completely avoid.

The job will be located in Carrickfergus, and as I currently don't own a car, I would like to move somewhere within walking distance or somewhere with good transport links to get there.

I was intially thinking of moving to Carrickfergus itself, but further research suggests that it may not be the best idea, especially with an obvious Cork accent!

Are there any areas which people could suggest that would be both safe and provide an easy means of getting to work everyday?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

there are a few violently unionist areas in Carrickfergus that a cork accent wouldn't be particularly welcome in. Castlemara for instance......

once you get outside Carrick you'll be fine,

depends on your budget of course, but Greenisland is nice enough, and there is a train service to Carrick. Its fairly rural, form Belfast you ahve Jordanstown/whiteabbey, then Greenisland, carrickfergus, Eden, and whitehead.

take a run up and have a look around first, just in case, but with the university at Jordanstown there is a fair bit of rental acoomodation available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

<SNIP>

Mod edit: If you have nothing positive to contribute then dont post. Warning given.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm from Carrickfergus, and it saddens me to say that it is still full of quite a lot of scum that wouldn't be too welcoming to you.

Jordanstown is a lovely spot, 10-15 mins train into Carrick and there are some great apartments there for fairly cheap. Nice view of the lough and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Thanks very much for the advice. So I reckon I'll have a look around the Newtownabbey and Jordanstown areas and see how they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Don't rule out living in Belfast and travelling to Carrickf. by public transport.

No offense intended to anyone from there but I would struggle living up thtaht direction. Don't get me wrong it can be a lovely area but socially I think it would be a bit wick. I couldn't imagine spending a night in the area let alone work and live there. :eek:

Definitely visit before you commit. Standard advice applies, avoid areas with flags, painted kerbs and murals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

there are a few violently unionist areas in Carrickfergus that a cork accent wouldn't be particularly welcome in. Castlemara for instance......

once you get outside Carrick you'll be fine,

Can't agree with you enough Martin on that. I remember walking through the SunnyLands Area (who came up with that name) with my Dub Wife and got quite alot of strange looks from people I knew fairly well.
    depends on your budget of course, but Greenisland is nice enough, and there is a train service to Carrick. Its fairly rural, form Belfast you ahve Jordanstown/whiteabbey, then Greenisland, carrickfergus, Eden, and whitehead.

take a run up and have a look around first, just in case, but with the university at Jordanstown there is a fair bit of rental acoomodation available.

Personally I would avoid GreenIsland at all costs, can be just as bad as Castlemara, I know it has calmed down in recent years, but I know I personally would not live there.

As has already been said, Jordanstown is a lovely spot, right between Belfast and Carrick and has decent links to both, via train and bus, and you can also pickup a black cab into Belfast from that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lastnight showed why maybe Carrick isn't such a good idea....

It's not the whole town, but f*cking hell there are an awful lot of scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

maximoose wrote: »

Tell me about it, one thing I do not miss about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

maximoose wrote: »

You could say this about the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

love how it was Belfast city council who made the decision, so the muppets in Carrick, who are covered by a completely different council, decide to riot.

silly, silly children

• Advertisement
Advertisement