Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching with an BEng

• 29-08-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any information on what the story is with becoming a teacher (maths in secondary or primary) after graduating with a BEng.

Any of my search results are giving me links to documents which don't exist anymore.

I will be qualifying with a BEng from UL in a couple of years and I am looking at possible career prospects.

Alternatively does anyone know what the story is with becoming a lecturer as this also interests me.

If anyone can shed some light on it I'd be very thankful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you're serious about becoming a teacher then you should pack in the B.Eng and switch to one of UL's teaching degrees. You say you'll have the B.Eng "in a couple of years" so I'm taking that to mean at least two years. Add to that two years to do a PGDE (open to correction but I believe they're two years instead of one now) and you're talking about four years to qualify and then need to figure out what parts (if any) of your B.Eng the teaching council will actually recognise as your teaching subjects. Or switch now to one of UL's teaching degrees which would also take you four years (I think) assuming you don't get exempted from some things after doing them as part of the B.Eng and you know that you'll be qualified to teach at least two subjects.

I might not be entirely right on my details so like I said, I'm open to correction but I'd say you should look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I will be looking into it, I was just wondering if anyone had any information. I am interested in the BEng as well, and I was just wondering if the BEng would also allow me to enter into teaching, as it could be a possible career direction.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The B.Eng on its own definitely won't. The B.Eng and a PGDE probably will but you might be stuck with only one teaching subject or maybe one or two uncommon ones that won't be very helpful when it comes to finding employment.

I couldn't tell you how much of the B.Eng the teaching council will recognise but one way or the other you're talking about another two years for the PGDE if you don't do the teaching degree (unless I'm wrong and there are still one year PGDEs around).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Mechanical, electrical, computer or aeronautical engineering?

Check teaching council and see is your degree recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I would have no idea as mt subjects are arts based. Although I remember when I was doing my PGDE (2010/11) representatives came from the Teaching Council and after they gave us a talk we had an oppurtunity to talk to them if we had any questions. While I was waiting to speak to an Arts delegate there were three men there who had engineering degrees and were teaching Maths and Physics. They were being told that their degrees would not allow them to register with either subject. A heated argument ensued as this was the first time they'd heard this - March of the PGDE year. If you really wanna tecah I'd suggest you get in contact with the Teaching Council immediately to find out if you can register your degree - WARNING: They will frustrate you no end!

Advertisement