Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation making my skin look flakey

• 29-08-2012 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This has been going on for the last 2-3 months now.

My foundation just looks really flakey and patchy on my skin. The sides of my nose and around my mouth (not directly beside my mouth though)

I started exfoliating my face more but that didn't help.

Had a facial on Friday and my skin was fine for 3 days and now it's back again.

Therapist told me to stop using the exfoliater so much and to use a cream wash.

I've tried different foundations: Revlon colourstay, mac studio fix, double wear, makeup forever HD and the problem persists.

Was told not to use a primer as it would dry my skin out further. Used moisturizer this morning and still have the same problem.

I use a stipple brush and clean it every few days (At least twice a week)

This dry, flakey skin can't been seen if I'm not wearing makeup.

I thought the facial would sort this out but alas, no.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Or what I could try to fix this ? New moisturizer etc?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

You were told not to use a primer? I find that curious. Only thing that stops my flakey foundation face is primer (I use the original one by Gosh).

Moisturiser-wise, I've used Oilatum Face Cream with great success as it's great for dry skin. I would leave a little of that soak in for a few minutes, then use primer, and then use foundation. I also found Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation great for non-flakiness as it's quite light but has good coverage.

Everyone is different though, I can only vouch for what has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Sounds like your skin is dry and exfoliating it might make it worse if you're not moisturising it properly. Get a good moisturiser that's meant for dry skin and that can be worn under make up and one that you can put on before going to sleep so it'll moisturise your skin over night. Make sure the products you use to wash your face aren't meant for oily skin because that'll dry your skin too. The facial probably helped because they might have put on a moisturising mask or something? And since you've tried different foundations and they all make your skin look dry, I'd say it's worth trying a good moisturiser first. :) I'd definitely stop exfoliating for a while though because it's probably drying your skin even more.

Also, you should look into why your skin has gotten so dry suddenly. Maybe there's been a change in your diet etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

My diet is pretty much the same. I don't eat any grains and I drink bucket loads of water a day so I can probably rule that out.

@Jenizzle I'll try using the primer again. I thought it was strange as well but the person told me it's to stop your skin looking oily and that because I've the opposite of that it would make it dry-er looking.

I've used Healthy-Mix in the past before. Can't remember why I stopped using it but I'll give it a go again.

I'll have a look out for the moisturizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi OP

this used to happen to me, I used to think I had dry skin until I did a dermalogica face mapping thing and it turns out I have deydrated skin. I never knew there was a difference!

So now I use their cleansers, toners, moisturising cream and their gentle exfoliator and I haven't had that problem since. I also find that not only are the flakes gone but my skin used to be red too and it's miles better now I dont' wear half as much makeup. They are a bit pricier than the niveas and stuff but they last so long I think it's worth it.

Another thing I'd recommend is to not use facial wipes to remove makeup (if that's what you use). They're very bad for drying out the skin

Hope that helps!

No I never use facewipes unless I'm in a mad rush.

I use the Simple Cleanser but am open to spending more money on a cleanser if it helps sort the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

If you're anywhere near Kildare town or Sallins then I highly recommend a visit to Millie's. The girls there are fantastic and genuinely you don't feel like they're just trying to sell you stuff. They will be able to give you great advice

They also have dermalogica slightly cheaper - check http://www.millies.ie/
    But I wouln't buy anything until you've spoken to someone to make sure you're getting the right stuff.

Good luck!

Not anywhere near Kildare I'm afraid.

Will look into seeing if I can get that done where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I use to have the exact same problem as you, All around my nose and chin, A really good moisturiser at night worked for me, i used the Trilogy Everything Balm and it really helped, my skin is still dry but not at all flaky anymore, You can get it in Health food shops and some pharmacies, its all natural aswell so wont irritate skin. Studio Fix and Colourstay are both quite mattifying foundations, maybe you could try a more moisturising one, I like Clinique Moisture surge, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, Mac Face and body or Bojouis Healthy mix bot the original and serum. Good Luck, hope it works out! I know how frustrating it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I have the exact same problem so I started using Garnier BB cream and that goes on my face flawlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'd say a lot of the problem could lie with the foundations you're using tbh. Studio Fix especially isn't supposed to be great for dry skin. Which version of Colorstay do you use? There is a Normal/Dry formula as well as the Oily/Combination one, so if you're using O/C you could try switching to the other. Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum is a very nice foundation for drier skin. Stipple brushes can also cause skin to flake more too so maybe you could change to a different brush style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Maybe try a different brush cos you're exfoliating a little with the stippling brush. I threw my good ole flat foundation brush to back of a drawer cos stippling and buffing brushes were said to give a flawless finish. However I've since rescued it and Ive been following advice I saw on pixiwoo recently which is to paint on foundation downwards with the flat brushso as not to disturb the skin. I do that followed by a light buffing to remove lines or else use my fingers and haven't had the flakiness. ( out of interest I've got oily combo skin). Like previous poster said, garner oil free bb has been doin wonders for me too.
    Also with regards primer, there are different types, they don't all take away oiliness so the type or ingredients will determine its suitability for the dryness. I bought the no7 beautiful skin one and was delighted with it but I don't really use it anymore after changing the brush I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I get the same problem with occasional dry/flakey patches on my skin. My foundation clings to the flakey skin and looks horrible. A mixture of moisturising and exfoliating helps me. Moisturising the problem areas enough to reduce any further "flakiness" and exfoliating any loose, dead skin once the problem area has been contained (I only exfoliate the problem area at the last minute, rubbing at the patches before the dead skin has "loosened" fully has caused irritation in the past)

I have oily/combination skin but use a cleansing lotion (Lush 9 to 5, using the cleanse and polish method) which has allowed me to use a moisturiser to tackle dry/flakey patches, whilst still regularly exfoliating. I do agree with the recommendation of a cream cleanser, anything remotely oil-stripping would only increase flakey patches.

I personally don't think changing foundation would help, changing your skincare routine would be of more benefit.

I'm using the dry combination colour stay foundation.

Maybe the stipple brush isn't the helping either. I'll go back to using the flat foundation brush and see how I get on.

What's the cleanse and polish method? I love lush products. Haven't heard of 9-5. I previously was using ultra bland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yeah this happens to me a lot hence me being addicted to bb creams too. Give them a try and see what you think - Bobbi Brown's new one is meant to be great, trying that out in the next few days!

Also try give Clarin's new Skin Illusion powder foundation a go next month, I tried it out and it didn't flake up my skin at all, was fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

My diet is pretty much the same. I don't eat any grains and I drink bucket loads of water a day so I can probably rule that out.

@Jenizzle I'll try using the primer again. I thought it was strange as well but the person told me it's to stop your skin looking oily and that because I've the opposite of that it would make it dry-er looking.

I've used Healthy-Mix in the past before. Can't remember why I stopped using it but I'll give it a go again.

I'll have a look out for the moisturizer.

The purpose of a primer is to even out your skin texture ie lines and wrinkles also gives longevity to your make-up.

Considering you drink so much water and diet is good then the dry skin is caused externally. It could be the air conditioning in your job or from the car,working out doors or lots of out door activities....these are all drying on the skin which is why a good moisturiser (day + night) is needed to restore and hydrate the skin. Exfoliating once a week should be sufficient enough for dry skin, afterwards try massage with an oil like jojoba or almond oil.

Also as others have said...have a look at the make-up you are using...is it aimed at dry skin...does it contain oils?

Ok so last night I used a Ren night cream.

This morning I used a La-Roche posay re hydrating moisturizer, Smashbox photo finish primer, Bourjous 10 hour sleep effect foundation (will get the healthy mix at the weekend) and used a flat foundation brush.

I just checked there and I've still got some flakiness. Not as much as before but it's still there.

Hopefully after a few days of this routine it will go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I got extreme dehydration a few months ago. The products that really helped me were:

Avene Skin Recovery Cream (at night)
    La Roche Posay Cicaplast (at night - not on the same night with Avene)
    Avene water spray throughout the day
    Oilateum face cream (for day. I still use this on dry days, it's fantastic)
    Cetaphil face lotion (for day)

For cleanser, I could only tolerate Cetaphil cleanser. Everything else was just too much. I stopped exfoliating for some time. My face was too sensitised. I couldn't wear make up for some time, first due to sensitivity, then due to flakiness. But when I started again, I used mineral oil to remove, which I still use. Beware though, mineral oil may either be awesome for your skin or it may wreck it in terms of breakouts. It's very YMMV.

I got extreme dehydration a few months ago. The products that really helped me were:

Avene Skin Recovery Cream (at night)
    La Roche Posay Cicaplast (at night - not on the same night with Avene)
    Avene water spray throughout the day
    Oilateum face cream (for day. I still use this on dry days, it's fantastic)
    Cetaphil face lotion (for day)

For cleanser, I could only tolerate Cetaphil cleanser. Everything else was just too much. I stopped exfoliating for some time. My face was too sensitised. I couldn't wear make up for some time, first due to sensitivity, then due to flakiness. But when I started again, I used mineral oil to remove, which I still use. Beware though, mineral oil may either be awesome for your skin or it may wreck it in terms of breakouts. It's very YMMV.

I've never heard of the Cetaphil brand. Where can you get it?

It's available in larger Boots'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

What's the cleanse and polish method? I love lush products. Haven't heard of 9-5. I previously was using ultra bland

The cleanse and polish method is using specific lotion/cream cleansers on dry skin (doesn't have to be clean skin, you can still have a face full of make-up on), rubbing the cleanser on the skin (it shouldn't disappear into the skin as a moisturiser would), and either:

1) wetting the face and wiping the cleanser off with cotton pads/flannel (polishing)

2) "polishing" your face with a wet flannel/wet muslin face cloth (wiping the cleanser off)

Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish is meant to be amazing and the original cleanse and polish product. No 7 do a version of it. The method isn't abrasive or irritating to the skin, but you do need to do it twice to get rid of make-up.

9 to 5 is described as a "calming cleanser", and I found that it has calmed my skin down and reduced excess oil, spots and dry patches. Ignore the instructions on the bottle if you do try it out, it needs a little bit of water to reduce any residue left after you wipe it off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Keep us updated op! It'll be interesting to see what works for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I have the exact same problem as you. I've had it for years, but it's also visible on my nose when I'm not wearing make-up (it's just not as extreme)

Going to try out some of the suggestions here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have the same problem, under my eyes and on/around my nose.

After reading this thread I bought Oilatum cream, but not sure if I can use the one I bought as it isn't specifically the facial cream.

I got this cream before seeing the facial cream in another pharmacy.

Oilatum.jpg

Can the cream I got be used on the face or would it be too harsh?

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Can the cream I got be used on the face or would it be too harsh?

I am acne prone (It is not self diagnosed, I actually have acne vulgaris as diagnosed by my derm). I use this on days where my skin is particularly dry. I am fine with it so far.

I've never heard of the Cetaphil brand. Where can you get it?

I forgot to add before: Cetaphil cleanser won't remove your make up. It is very very gentle. That's why I use mineral oil to remove make up beforehand, using a similar method to cleanse and polish as explained above. I use cotton pads to remove instead of a muslin cloth as my skin is too sensitive.

If you don't want to use an oil/oil cleanser/cream cleanser for make up removal, using a micellar water is a good option too. I like La Roche Posay's and Vichy's micellar waters. Boots No 7 has one, but it didn't agree with my skin.

Advertisement