Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed not great

Options
  • 29-08-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,

Just switched from vodafone to eircoms next gen 8mb broadband. just wondering if you could check my line to see what you make of the speeds. also should i have received a new eircom router or will i just continue to use my eircom one???

I can email you a screenshot of my speedtest if you like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jemmyboy wrote: »
    Hi,

Just switched from vodafone to eircoms next gen 8mb broadband. just wondering if you could check my line to see what you make of the speeds. also should i have received a new eircom router or will i just continue to use my eircom one???

Hi jemmyboy,

Can you PM me with the telephone number and a screenshot I can look into the speeds you are getting at the moment.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

Hi,

Hi jemmyboy,

Can you PM me with the telephone number and a screenshot I can look into the speeds you are getting at the moment.

Thanks, Mark

PM sent two days ago :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi jemmyboy ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I see your line / exchange was recently migrated to the NGB broadband. The address is classed as extended reach from the Dundalk exchange. So the line capability is max "up to 2MB" broadband.

can you confirm the modem you are using at the moment?

Thanks, Mark

Hi jemmyboy ,

I see your line / exchange was recently migrated to the NGB broadband. The address is classed as extended reach from the Dundalk exchange. So the line capability is max "up to 2MB" broadband.

Thanks, Mark

Yeah it's a Vodafone modem I can get the exact model if you like??? The max I can get downloading is 1gb!!!

Hi jemmyboy ,

Thanks, Mark

Yeah it's a Vodafone modem I can get the exact model if you like??? The max I can get downloading is 1gb!!!

1 megabyte I mean ha!!!

• Advertisement

Hi jemmyboy ,

Thanks, Mark

1 megabyte I mean ha!!!

Hi jemmyboy ,

Thanks, Mark

Mark any chance of getting back to me???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Mark any chance of getting back to me???

Hi jemmyboy,

Sorry for the delay. Have checked this again and can see that there may be some issue on the line. There's a few things we need to check first. Firstly, have you changed the setting on the modem to eircoms own settings (see below):

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

These likely won't change the connection status but we have to make sure you're on the recommended settings.

Next thing is the actual phoneline. There is a 'minor' fault showing here but this can be caused be a number of different things. To narrow this down, can you try plugging a handset with no filter/splitters and disconnect everything else from the line (any extensions/Sky boxes/monitored alarm/modem) and see if the phone signal sounds ok. If there is any noise on the line or it cuts out intermittently then we know the line is probably the issue.

If the phone signal is ok, unplug the phone and replace it with the modem. Then run a speed test and see if there's any difference. Again, if there's no improvement it may be an issue with the modem or the cable connecting it. The quickest way to narrow down the issue is to follow this checklist from our own forum. This gives all the basic steps and contact info to escalate further. If none of the basic troubleshooting improves the service then it can be escalated to an engineer.

You can have someone talk you through the troubleshooting if you prefer by calling tech support directly on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7 days). From looking at the line stats I would say it should be capable of slightly more than the current level but the above steps will help confirm this.

Regards

James

Advertisement