Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mater private type of laser treatment

Options
  • 29-08-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I went for consultations with both Ultralase and Mater private and both said I could get either lasik or lasek but the mater recommended lasek to me.

I was surprised that I was quoted a cheaper price from the mater as I thought it would be more expensive. The surgery I would get from ultralase would be "wavefront". Basically I was wondering is this the same surgery as provided by the Mater so i'm comparing like with like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Well you should really ring the Mater to confirm rather than have it confirmed by some anonymous internet user but yes, the Mater will use Wavefront.
    The Mater will generally recommend Lasek over Lasik because quite simply it's better. It's a far less invasive treatment. The downside is that it is considerably more uncomfortable/painful and takes much longer to actually heal and for your eyesight to settle (usually a matter of months). You'll find that those laser surgeons that have the procedure themselves will generally choose Lasek over Lasik - I've asked several of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

i got LASEK in the mater private about a year ago. only reason they didn't do LASIK on me was because my corneas were too thin.
    i found the follow ups brillaint. i had a few problems after and had to go in every 2 weeks and once you pay for procedure all follow up is free.
    all great now.
    i'm sure they are recommending what is right for you.
    one eye is not as good as the other and the choice was mine to get it done again but the risks were too high because of thin corneas that it would do damage so i declined it. its still grand now though and much much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

Thanks for the responses. I found the consultation not the best, didn't think the eye test was v detailed. I'm not sure about the name of the equipment but its the machine they use at specsavers for getting your prescription where they show loads of different lenses to you and best one is found. This was also done ultralase but not at the Mater. Also, The test with the green and red background (dont know the name again) was not preformed.

I found the one at the mater a little old fashioned with covering my eye looking at the board, I wasn't nearly 20 feet away from it and was at a slight angle as well.

What was other peoples consultation like at the Mater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

i'm surprised you found the mater consultation old fashioned. but then again i didn't get a consult anywhere else so i have nothing to compare it with.
    i got all the tests in the mater. the colour background etc.
    the only issue i had was with SNIP her hands were real shaky when she was doing everything and i thought **** would she be able to do the job?
    i definately would have complained about it if it didn't turn out right. i was going to complain before because it is your eyes after all and very delicate but i was persuaded by the person i was with not to.
    it turned out great anyway in the end but i still don't understand how she can do the job when her hands are so shaky. scary stuff :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fwiw Wavefront can be done with either LASIK or Lasek. It's considered a slightly better option because there is a reduced risk or night time glare than you would be at risk of getting with the standard op. Wavefront is also custom to the shape of your eyes

Personally if it was me I would be getting wavefront. The number of people affected by night time glare and saturated colours is high.

That being said, I'm not eligible for laser surgery. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Be careful regarding Ultralase. I read they are bankrupt (see below)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2160695/Banks-sale-sign-eye-surgeon-Ultralase.html

Advertisement