Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Reef's.

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I would like to ask when should I start surfing reefs. I have been surfing on and off now for the last 5 years. Its been tough because I dont live close to the sea. Ive been doing alot of beach break surfing now, all the spots from whiterocks Portrush, Lahinch, Tullan Bundoran and streedagh strand. I surf a 6,2 Al Merrick and am comfortable out with 4 footers. I have been watching the Peak, PAMPA and inside left now for some time and have been debating whether or not to paddle out. Can anyone give me pointers as what to expect/be careful off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Always amazed when people ask this question. Maybe it is me, but reckon you know when you can paddle out at certain reefs, remember there is such a huge range of surfable reefs in Ireland (DG).

However, it is not as simple as just saying 'can you turn the board, make a section, read the paddle out lines'. There is a lot going on but getting an answer from a forum is crazy. There is very little in your post as to your level of surfing or fitness, very little on what reefs you are thinking about etc.

My recommendation would be to book a one on one lesson with someone like Bens Surf Clinic who will assess where you are and help you get to where you want to go with your surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bonstar

Thanks very much for your post mate. I am well aware that the forum is not the correct place to post for an automatic answer, but i am just searching for general guidance/experience. I was planning on going out on the peak/inside left. My skill level would be above intermediate, my fitness is quite strong. I go to the gym three times a week with a specific view to develop my shoulders/arms for paddling and endurance. I am also a strong swimmer and am a qualified pool lifeguard.
    I have taken intermediate lessons and feel that i am ready to advance to more challenging waves. Where would you recommend to begin my reef surfing career?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Good question to be honest.
    It's a stage everyone that gets into surfing eventually gets to.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

And amazingly enough before the advent of the internet and influx of surf schools, thousands upon thousands of people managed to make this jump all on their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

Take an improver one-on-one lesson with someone reputable like Ben Bennett and ask their advice, or if you've been surfing that long surely you know a few people that surf reefs?

There are plenty of mellow reefs around - maybe the peak, pmpa and inside left aren't the best place to start your first foray - competitive, shallow, heavy and crowded. They can give you a real beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

If you do paddle out - you will notice a tenser vibe than at most beachies, the most important thing is following good etiquette, and being sure of your ability...

NEVER LET GO OF YOUR BOARD with people behind you even if you take an entire set on the head.
    PADDLE WIDE of the surf zone so you don't get in people's way even if a big set comes.
    If you are in someone's way, paddle into the whitewater if necessary to avoid spoiling their ride - don't paddle into the face.
    Don't sit inside people in the take-off zone and get in their way at take-off.
    Sit back and WAIT YOUR TURN - there are subtle rules re priority, reading a line-up, snaking etc. - it's not just a case of not dropping in.
    Make sure you know how to duck-dive, or at the very least turtle roll.
    If you get caught inside, paddle wide, not straight out, and try not to ruin anyone's ride on the way.
    If you are at the peak, GO. If you pull out a couple of times in a row people will start taking your waves regardless.
    Have fun.
    and... ...don't hit the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I went to my first reef today with a friend,only caught one wave,it was probably a mellow reef.
    The rock slope was a huge slab which tapered off into the ocean,it's not far from Spanish Point.

It was good for my confidence.

I'm also a fisherman and was in awe at the huge bass leaping out of the water along with pollock there was a huge shoal of sprat in so there was a feeding frenzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I went to my first reef today with a friend,only caught one wave,it was probably a mellow reef.
    The rock slope was a huge slab which tapered off into the ocean,it's not far from Spanish Point.

It was good for my confidence.

I'm also a fisherman and was in awe at the huge bass leaping out of the water along with pollock there was a huge shoal of sprat in so there was a feeding frenzy

Advertisement