Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social housing- louth

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I find myself in the unfortunate position of applying to be put on the social housing list ( please don't judge mefrown.gif).

I am wondering about the areas of choice. Anyone got suggestions on where not to put on my list?

Comments

Judge you? Are you being sarcastic?

Most of the people I know on social housing lists (or in such houses) are sound, nice, genuine people. Like everything else, it's the few scumbags that give everyone else a bad name.

How does it work, by the way? I assumed that if you wanted a house, you put your name on the list and when they offered you one you took it and that was the end of it? I didn't think you got to pick and choose, to be honest? Do you get a certain amount of refusals before you must accept one or what way does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

See 'Areas of choice' & 'Allocation of housing'.

My advice - choose three areas where you may have lived before, or somewhere where you have family or friends. In other words a part of town with which you are familiar. I've always lived on the south side of Dundalk, in and around the Dublin Rd area so I'd want somewhere this side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

How does it work, by the way? I assumed that if you wanted a house, you put your name on the list and when they offered you one you took it and that was the end of it? I didn't think you got to pick and choose, to be honest? Do you get a certain amount of refusals before you must accept one or what way does that work?

I used to hate when people put in applications with 'not x or y' on them, if i were able to id have binned the forms. If there was a request to be in an area for purposes of needs eg being close to family or close to the kids school then no problem. When new housing schemes became available a huge pile of new applications arrived including those already housed wanting to move for no good reason really. Thankfully as social housing now include Local Authority leases someone could be housed in a really plush pad anywhere - the luck of the draw in this regard. It is true that the vast vast majority of those in social housing are good decent folk. There is the few that cause grief but can now be dealt with easier now than in the past. For the OP being on a housing list is one thing, actually being allocated a place is another - with this in mind i'd take whatever is offered as goodness knows how long a preferred spot could become available. Could take years depending on your circumstances.

Advertisement