Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were we sold an old bulb ?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

We have two long tube lights in the kitchen. One of them went a few weeks ago, so my brother bought a new one about three weeks ago and at €15 a bulb, its not cheap.

He waited until this week to put the new bulb in as he also had to get a new starter which he didn't get until sunday.

Once he had the new bulb in, it was darker than the old one. (Two bulbs, side by side, one new and the other still working so thats the old bulb). I hope im making sense.

But the day after, the new bulb went. And looking at it, one side of the bulb is blacker as you would find in an old bulb.

I'm going to ask my brother if he kept the receipt and i'll bring it back.

Are shops meant to take away old bulbs as you would if buying a new kettle? If they do take away old bulbs, maybe some one brought in and it got mixed up, some how?

Or I was in the same shop on sunday and walking past the bulb section and saw a couple of them cracked and broken, why were they on the shelves.

Are they selling anything they want?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

fluorescent tubes have to be disposed of in a certain way, and new ones come wrapped in cardboard, so it's hard to mix them up.

did he get the right starter? is there no electrical fault?

actually, cracked and broken tubes on a shelf would just look like bad shop keeping. those tubes don't take a lot of force to break, and should be removed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Possibly a faulty ballast did for both the previous lamp and then the new one.

Ken

Advertisement