Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I appear to have broken my motherboard.

The PC is currently in getting repaired so I'll be discussing what to do next with their engineer shortly. It's possible that I'll be able to sort it out with its warranty but failing that I'll need a replacement.

I've seen alot of AS Rock ones mentioned. I take it they're the best.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/58054/ASRock+H77+Pro4+MVP%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+ATX.article

Money's tight at the moment so the one above (assuming it fits my spec) would seem to be ok for under €100.

Full spec, as I remember it (don't have PC so possibly a little guesswork):

CPU: Intel i5 750
    GPU: MSI HD5770
    RAM: G-Skill Ares 8GB 1600Mhz
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
    PSU: OCZ 700W MOD-X Stream Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You need a socket 1156 motherboard with that CPU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You need a socket 1156 motherboard with that CPU

Would I be wrong in saying that because they're obsolete they're quite expensive? That's certainly the impression I'm getting. Looking in Komplett, Dabs and HWVS there aren't many of them.

What a mess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Maybe pick up a second hand board on boards, something like this and put the cash saved towards a 1155 mobo and CPU? you could sell the 2nd hand board and your 15 750 when the time comes to upgrade as well?

I'm going to the US soon. I was planning on picking up a 660ti and an SSD.

I might forego one of the two above and get something like an i5 2500k

The rule of thumb seems to be that components are the same price in the US but instead of € they're in $.

Obviously it'd be a pain bringing back a Mobo given the size of the packaging so I'd get a 1155 here and the parts to fit into it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Prices in the US are quoted without sales tax (known to us as VAT).

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Prices in the US are quoted without sales tax (known to us as VAT).

Their VAT is about a quarter of what ours is though.

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm going to the US soon. I was planning on picking up a 660ti and an SSD.

I might forego one of the two above and get something like an i5 2500k

The rule of thumb seems to be that components are the same price in the US but instead of € they're in $.

Obviously it'd be a pain bringing back a Mobo given the size of the packaging so I'd get a 1155 here and the parts to fit into it over there.

Lucky git:) yea it's more or less $ per €. Should get a few quid for the CPU on ebay as well, bound to be someone looking for one out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Gbear wrote: »
    Their VAT is about a quarter of what ours is though.

Their VAT varys depending on state.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Their VAT varys depending on state.

Somewhere between 7%-9.25% in Tennessee.

The other question is, what happens if I get faulty components? Ship back to US? Or just hope it doesn't happen.

At times it feels like I emit some sort of anomalous em field that breaks all electronics within a 50 foot radius. :o
    Something not working would be par for the course with my luck.

Should be OK if you have relations in Tennessee, worst case scenario you could send the part to them and get them to RMA it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement