Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In a skip outside a school!!!!!!

• 29-08-2012 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

In a skip outside a primary school today I found a large box full of perfectly good arts supplies (Paint brushes, plasticine/morla, pastel paints, stencils etc etc) and lots of perfectly good work books most of which are still in use. I drove straight to the house of a teacher who works in my kids school who took the lot with amazing gratitude. What gives?
    Even if for what ever reason these items were of no further use to the school in question should such waste be excused?
    My next job is to go back to the school when it is open and wave my fist at it.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why were you going through a skip ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Much talent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

michellie wrote: »

Oh but I wasnt. I used my super power of vision to observe said items in the skip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

More importantly what was he doing stached in a skip outside a school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So... that stain in your pants was from glue out of an open bottle, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Were you wearing your lucky blue suit op?

Hmmmm I'm not buying the super eye power thing.

I find it strange you rooted through a skip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

My dad spotted a working early 70's Vox AC30 in a skip once. It is now my prized possession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hmmmm I'm not buying the super eye power thing.

I find it strange you rooted through a skip!

Were you never a student? Dang good eatin' in a skip...

and school stuff apparently.
    There was no rooting required. This was a mini skip with the items mentioned on the top in plain view. i just find it barking with schools looking for 'voluntary contributions' and asking parents to send in toilet paper and yet some of them just bin perfectly good gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good find but you should have put them up on adverts and got some bank yo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In a skip outside a primary school today I found a large box full of perfectly good arts supplies (Paint brushes, plasticine/morla, pastel paints, stencils etc etc) and lots of perfectly good work books most of which are still in use. I drove straight to the house of a teacher who works in my kids school who took the lot with amazing gratitude. What gives?
    Even if for what ever reason these items were of no further use to the school in question should such waste be excused?
    My next job is to go back to the school when it is open and wave my fist at it.:mad:

Perhaps a teacher clearing a classroom of the previous teachers stuff before their own class gets going next week? Still no excuse for throwing out perfectly usable supplies though :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A school in my home town, about a year ago, threw out a load of computers that in all honestly, could have been passed onto the public/students for a cheap price.
    (School was buying new systems, sponsored by a company)
    The law as its stands for the re-sale of "white goods" and electrical items however restricts the resale of such items at times.
    The school was not allowed to sell them on or even pass them on (public liability issues - short version).
    FAS has done similar I'm told, at various stages too when they also are upgrading their systems.

Its daftness what we throw away sometimes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This is an incredibly anti-climatic thread title. I was hoping you were locked up in a skip and the garbage vans were due to collect in the next hour or so.

I envisaged a mass rush to identify exactly where you were by asking you specific questions before you were crushed to death.

I had my CSI pencil right beside me and all.

Bad form OP, bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe there was some sort of nit/contagious infection outbreak at the school and everything had to be thrown out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I thought the thread title was where OP lost his/her virgininty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Maybe it was thrown in by accident - someone absent-minded might have moved the wrong pile if they were working quickly to get the school ready.

Apparently you didn't grow up in the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So thats where all the exclamation points went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Im the caretaker of a school and today I was in doing some work before the summer holidays are over.
    The princaple told me to do a major clear out so no bother i order a skip and fill it up with old stationary and other things that are not wanted.
    Then after all my hard work Some fella appears and starts rooting around the skip i had just filled! I go over to tell him he is on private property and to not be so nosey and guess what!
    He starts throwing Morla at me and screaming about the economy and how the morla could be re-used.
    I told him that the morla was mixed (red and green together making it blue) and thus was unusable
    So guess what he then nonchalently steals all the stuff i just put in the bloody skip and drives off.
    I follow him and alas what do i catch him doing... Selling it to door to door about 5 miles away.. Some people !:P:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Rasmus wrote: »

Free Chalk!

(Plasterboard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Maybe it was thrown in by accident - someone absent-minded might have moved the wrong pile if they were working quickly to get the school ready.

No no thats not what happened at, this is after hours, so obviously some dole swindling, racist, bigoted b%*$£"d face intentionally threw all that stuff in the skip just to piss the kids off. Pitch fork anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

As a child, finding a skip had arrived somewhere in the neighborhood was one of the most exciting things ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Biggins wrote: »
    A school in my home town, about a year ago, threw out a load of computers that in all honestly, could have been passed onto the public/students for a cheap price.
    (School was buying new systems, sponsored by a company)
    The law as its stands for the re-sale of "white goods" and electrical items however restricts the resale of such items at times.
    The school was not allowed to sell them on or even pass them on (public liability issues - short version).
    FAS has done similar I'm told, at various stages too when they also are upgrading their systems.

Its daftness what we throw away sometimes!

Trinity College is the same, worked in their computer science dept and it broke my heart throwing out a load of perfectly good computers. I offered to buy some and they wouldn't let me take them even for free because of "Health and Safety" issues.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    No no thats not what happened at, this is after hours, so obviously some dole swindling, racist, bigoted b%*$£"d face intentionally threw all that stuff in the skip just to piss the kids off. Pitch fork anyone?

You silly boy - you forgot about the swans!

Go stand in the corner! :p

GAAman wrote: »
    Trinity College is the same, worked in their computer science dept and it broke my heart throwing out a load of perfectly good computers. I offered to buy some and they wouldn't let me take them even for free because of "Health and Safety" issues.

Yep, I know a few family's that can't afford a new pc for any of their kids.
    They would have loved to get their hands on one second-hand.
    When I hear of such things locally, I try and let such people know.
    A few bob passed onto a caretaker and sometimes they get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

GAAman wrote: »

Why, oh why are these items not recycled? They could sell the components on and recoup a bit of money.

Teachers pffftt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I worked in a school once, I had to take 600 desks and chairs apart to throw in a skip. Sure there was writing on them and old horrible chewing gum they still did the primary function, but the school has a budget and if they don't spend up to the budget limit the budget will go down and they will get less money the year after.
    Its like that in most businesses private and public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As a child, finding a skip had arrived somewhere in the neighborhood was one of the most exciting things ever.

Imagine if you found it full of paints, paper and plastacine :D:D

I did. And I was a student at one point too. But Jesus Id never go through someone's rubbish! Ewh

• Advertisement

I did. And I was a student at one point too. But Jesus Id never go through someone's rubbish! Ewh

So you never investigated a new skip on your street with a gang of friends when you were a kid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I did well out of skip lately, lots of paperbacks, new shoes and clothes, and they were my size, so thats me kitted out for another while.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That definitely sounded like a honey trap.

OP, there a van parked outside with free sweets written on the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Most of the art work in my home has come from a skip, pictures and paintings and the like. It's amazing what people throw away. Waste not, want not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When there's something strange in a skip in your neighbourhood
    Who ya gonna call.....

GHOST BUSTER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

miamee wrote: »
    Imagine if you found it full of paints, paper and plastacine :D:D

Boring. The real fun stuff was old tools, furniture, sharp objects, random rolls of wire netting, metal bars and stuff, glass window panes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

My Dad found a working hifi in a skip a few years ago. He keeps it in the shed and uses it when working/lounging in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I give art classes to several groups including national school teachers, and part of what I demonstrate is how to budget by using less expensive art supplies e.g. how to make your own marbling ink; DIY stencils; printing using acrylic paint etc. Teachers know the high cost of these supplies
    Probably some tradesmen clearing out the place to do last minute work before the school re-opens Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Little does the op Know that stuff was pissed on by an infestation of zombie rats with dengi fever :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You're never going to get any good at identity theft if you don't get your hands dirty every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My Dad found a working hifi in a skip a few years ago. He keeps it in the shed and uses it when working/lounging in the garden.

How did he know it works before fishing it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you sure it was a skip, and not an Easons van that someone had stolen the wheels from?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a skip, and not an Easons van that someone had stolen the wheels from?

Or a Lada - little difference, easy mistake to make!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Probably looking for the stolen laptop he stashed there :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Jump into a septic tank next time and report back with your findings, Wurzel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's mala.

Because you maul it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

It's not rubbish. Plenty of useful things in a skip. You see lads outside building sites at skips going through them the whole time. Mainly itinerants and a few Romani. Some lads just drive around looking for skips to take scrap out of. The things I've seen thrown out either where I worked or by others is mad. Copper sheeting you'd get a good few hundred euro for, aluminium, perfectly good lengths of wood, copper pipe, steel, radiators. My own father has a woodwork desk from one of the local vocational schools he found in a ditch. They just left it there, covered in graffiti, but it was grand and came with a vice grips so he threw it into the trailer and brought it home. About 50 years old so it is.

Lots of useful stuff out there. I found a bike in one once. Don't question the resourcefulness of the skip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Metres and metres of perfectly good cat5 cable was usually my excuse before wireless. That and and perfectly useable hard drives, Pentium processors and memory.

Once got caught investigating Dell's skip, and got told to bugger off. Not before I got two Pentium IIIs out of it :)

Damn WEEE legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

It's amazing what people throw out
    I seen a skip truck with two other skips inside a skip !
    Madness !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Perhaps one of the other parents were fed up with being pestered for money and planted the art box in the skip so that they could accuse the school of wastefulness?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Biggins wrote: »
    Yep, I know a few family's that can't afford a new pc for any of their kids.
    They would have loved to get their hands on one second-hand.
    When I hear of such things locally, I try and let such people know.
    A few bob passed onto a caretaker and sometimes they get lucky.

Upgraded a bunch of computers in the office a few years ago, and put the old ones on freecycle. Made a few people a bit happier and saved myself the price of a skip. Have since done the same with an old piano and an exercise bike. Less hassle than flogging stuff of borderline value, good for the environment, and mostly, people really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement