Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave fish

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I bought a pack of two salmon fillets in Dunnes that were packed in a plastic tray with garlic butter on them. The instructions said to microwave for 3 minutes and the plastic covering them billows up into a dome. I was really impressed it was so fast and the salmon was lovely. Can you usually cook fish in the microwave or would it need a plastic covering like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

if i was to microwave a fish i'd wrap it in a cling film, otherwise bits of fish will be all over the microwave. but i wouldn't microwave a fish in a first place, much nicer pan fried or steamed and takes similar amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks, I had never done it before until I bought the salmon and was just impressed at how quick and easy it was. I am only starting to introduce fish to my diet regularly so any that is so easy can only encourage me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was some clever microwave thing like this that whistled when it was done, which takes into account different microwave powers etc.

It is sort of like a mini pressure cooker in the microwave. It is trapping the steam in so the fish cannot dry out easily, which would happen if unwrapped. It is both microwaving and steaming the fish.

You can get microwave pressure cookers which run at a low pressure. In the 80's there was one which went to 30psi, but it was taken off the market after a few explosions. Most stove pressure cookers are only 12psi these days, 15psi.

Advertisement