Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pajamas

• 29-08-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

why do people(girls of any age) wear pajamas in the street? at any time of the day or night??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I have read that in China some people wear pyjamas in the street to show they're so rich they don't need to work.

Don't know about Limerick, though — I've never actually noticed it (but I'm not too observant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Laziness and no job or interview or anywhere important to be and no plans to change this

Most likely stay in bed until lunchtime

Zero ambition

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've heard reference in the past to people changing into their "going out pajamas"...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian lamontage

I've heard reference in the past to people changing into their "going out pajamas"...

lol really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I hate seeing girls signing on for their dole wearing pyjamas. They obviously have no interest in looking for work, doing a course or attaining even the minutest amount of dignity for themselves.

I'd love to see a strict policy put in place to deter those of age dressing in such a fashion.

ps
    It's not just Limerick you see this taking place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'd wondered about this before, in terms of wearing the same PJs in bed and then out. That would be a bit scuzzy.

The pyjamas thing was in inner city Dublin back in 2007 before I moved to Limerick as well. It's not particularly nice one way or the other, and I don't really get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Spend an hour layering a tub of chocolate mousse coloured foundation on their face and doing their hair...then throw on a pair of jammies. The mind boggles.

Girls in my old school used to wear their pyjama bottoms under their skirts to keep warm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

I remember reading about an economic theory which I think originated in a study of unemployment rates in the the Bronx and Harlem that associated high rates of daytime public pajama wearing with high unemployment rates.

Limerick has the second highest unemployment rate in Ireland if I remember correctly...

I'll try and dig out the article (an American friend sent it to me about a year ago because the article mentioned Limerick and that theory :o)

Here it is, from the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/business/worldbusiness/04ireland.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&em

Limerick discussion starts on page 3 of the article. Here is a taste:

"Walking through the garbage-strewn, empty roads on a cold, misty afternoon, Mr. Kinsella points to the shuttered houses and the mothers still dressed in pajamas taking their children home from school. Social workers in Moyross refer to the “pajama index”: the more men and women one sees who do not take the time and care to dress for the day, the worse the economic situation tends to be."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I hate seeing girls signing on for their dole wearing pyjamas. They obviously have no interest in looking for work, doing a course or attaining even the minutest amount of dignity for themselves.

I'd love to see a strict policy put in place to deter those of age dressing in such a fashion.

The Dubs have started working on that :)
    A social welfare office in Dublin has banned interviewees from wearing pyjamas.

A notice has appeared at Damastown social welfare office which warns claimants that "pyjamas are not regarded as appropriate attire when attending Community Welfare Service at these offices".

It is believed the decision was made after a number of people complained.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16740199

Siging on is one thing, you barely have to speak but what kind of person wears them to an interview with a welfare officer :confused:
    You are just screaming that you don't care

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Dubs have started working on that ;)

Siging on is one thing, you barely have to speak but what kind of person wears them to an interview with an welfare officer :confused:
    You are just screaming that you don't care

The kind of person that doesn't want to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I remember reading about an economic theory which I think originated in a study of unemployment rates in the the Bronx and Harlem that associated high rates of daytime public pajama wearing with high unemployment rates.

Limerick has the second highest unemployment rate in Ireland if I remember correctly...

I'll try and dig out the article (an American friend sent it to me about a year ago because the article mentioned Limerick and that theory :o)

Here it is, from the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/business/worldbusiness/04ireland.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&em

Limerick discussion starts on page 3 of the article. Here is a taste:

"Walking through the garbage-strewn, empty roads on a cold, misty afternoon, Mr. Kinsella points to the shuttered houses and the mothers still dressed in pajamas taking their children home from school. Social workers in Moyross refer to the “pajama index”: the more men and women one sees who do not take the time and care to dress for the day, the worse the economic situation tends to be."

To be honest I would take that article with a pinch of salt. The pajama brigade are lazy slatterns who are quite happy living on benefit, having their rent paid and coining it in with their child benefit. They are a scourge on society and should be exterminated. Whether that needs to be done by sterilisation or stopping their benefits and taking their kids into care, I really don't care. Just so long as I don't have to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Simple solution- Make it economically, non viable for these people to survive by continuing their current habits. But will that happen,not a chance with our mickey mouse government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its a fashion trend apparently they go in and buy new pennys pjs every week and walk around their local with them on during the day,sometimes with ordinary non pj tops and uggs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

its a fashion trend apparently they go in and buy new pennys pjs every week and walk around their local with them on during the day,sometimes with ordinary non pj tops and uggs..

More than likely that ones that cost €5 in Penneys!

The pajama look isn't complete without the atrocious makeup. The orange fake tan/ronseal varnish look with bad hair and a certain kind of 'sticky' look to the face and body. The makeup has to be caked on so as to give a clumped look to highlight the many layers of it that they have plastered on.

Also doused in cheap perfume that is so noxious it must be called Agent Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Not true. If you include the stats for the middle class suburbs, we don't fare too badly in the unemployment stakes. Most of the stats that are published relating to Limerick omit these large areas because they are officially outside the boundary even though they are effectively part of the city.

zulutango wrote: »
    Not true. If you include the stats for the middle class suburbs, we don't fare too badly in the unemployment stakes. Most of the stats that are published relating to Limerick omit these large areas because they are officially outside the boundary even though they are effectively part of the city.

That is correct but we have unemployment blackspots on the Northside and Southside of the city. Don't we also have the highest amount of social housing or is that skewed by the boundary too?

Either way we have a serious unemployment problem in the city.

EDIT: Found the following article on the issue from the Examiner

Highlights:

SEVEN of the country’s 10 worst unemployment black spots are located in Limerick City, according to a recent report from the CSO.

In Limerick, St Mary’s Park and O’Malley Park are the only two areas in the country where more than half the working population are unemployed.

Limerick City has a total of 17 unemployment black spots — the highest for any local authority area in the country.

Co Limerick in contrast has just one — Rathkeale

Link: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/unemployment-focus-day-4--limerick-region-has-potential-despite-black-spots-204274.html

Unemployment is not a valid reason to wander the streets in pajamas. When I see these girls/women, they most certainly are not looking miserable and staring into the gutter. They are usually extremely loud and in flocks or herds, whatever the correct term is for groups of them.

Limerick as well as our other cities has a long history of poverty. Historically the poor did not roam the streets in their pajamas. They held on to their pride and self respect, sometimes that is all people have. Then again it isn't just girls/women from deprived backgrounds that wear their pajamas to shop or generally wander about in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I get the sneaking suspicion that it started by chavs simply being scummy / lazy and now is more so done as a middle finger to civilized folk knowing that it skirts the border of being socially unacceptable without being aggressively offensive. Like a passive aggressive deceleration of being a scumbag and proud - if such a thing exists.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    I get the sneaking suspicion that it started by chavs simply being scummy / lazy and now is more so done as a middle finger to civilized folk knowing that it skirts the border of being socially unacceptable without being aggressively offensive. Like a passive aggressive deceleration of being a scumbag and proud - if such a thing exists.

The lads have their uniform too, tracksuit tucked into socks. Pajamas are the female equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian lamontage

all i know is my mother wouldn't answer the door in her pjs never mind walking down the street in hers....we were a poor family, she was a stay at home mum ....i just see this pj wearing female in Ireland (limerick) as a big fcuk you too all us people who pay tax and work hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I have read that in China some people wear pyjamas in the street to show they're so rich they don't need to work.

Don't know about Limerick, though — I've never actually noticed it (but I'm not too observant).
    Opposite way around in limerick I'd say

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the trend might have been started when magazines started featuring pictures of Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, etc strolling to the shops in their PJs. The time-frame fits anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PJs, oompa lumpa orange make-up, tucking your track suit leggings inside your socks and pimp canes are the fashion attire of the social welfare generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carbob

Jaysus my Da would kill me if I wore them outside the house and lets just say I am well over the 18 mark lol

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

What's worse is when they've into shops with their dressing gowns and slippers too. I wouldn't even go outside my house in my pyjamas.
    From what I've seen these people are the rudest and most aggressive people I've come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

What's worse is when they've into shops with their dressing gowns and slippers too. I wouldn't even go outside my house in my pyjamas.
    From what I've seen these people are the rudest and most aggressive people I've come across.

I wouldn't even allow myself to be seen through the window in my pyjamas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement