Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking the streets with your CV

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

Who's done this and called into businesses/companies with your CV looking for work?

Would love to hear success stories. Does it work or would you be better off applying online via the company email etc?

I'm tempted to do it but does it smell of desperation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

What city are you in? And what kind of job you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Perth

Any kind of full time work. I'm a recent business graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Unless they are a retail shop/bar/cafe or wouldn't have an online presence then go for it.
    But professional company stick with online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

In my opinion it cant really hurt to try. Look up companies that interest you and go and drop in your CV. At worst they will tell you they have nothing going at the moment but if they do have a position available you will come with the added bonus of costing them nothing in employment agency fees which can be quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

It's not the business sector but my BF is a carpenter and went into every building site he passed asking around about work and left his number with a few foremen.. Little while later he got a call asking him to start a job with a carpenter contractor!!

4 weeks in and he's still working away with the guy, building new houses.. So for anybody in the construction side of things it's worth a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What city are you in Lippy?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Zambia wrote: »
    What city are you in Lippy?

I'm in Brisbane! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Wouldn't do any harm I reckon. Make sure you give it to a manager and not just one of the regular staff as chances are they might forget to pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Definitely do it.
    Enjoy Brissy, I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

chrismon wrote: »
    Definitely do it.
    Enjoy Brissy, I miss it.

Same.... biggest mistake of my life leaving there and coming home in '07 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Same.... biggest mistake of my life leaving there and coming home in '07 :mad:

Best year of my life there, would love to do it all again.:(
    Need to stop looking on the Australia forum, deperessing myself everytime Im on here :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Esse85 wrote: »
    Who's done this and called into businesses/companies with your CV looking for work?

Would love to hear success stories. Does it work or would you be better off applying online via the company email etc?

I'm tempted to do it but does it smell of desperation?

Go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thats how I got my first job there. Looking at the Oz thread now makes me regret having come home to Ireland last year.
    Be neat, polite, you never know what may come up.

Advertisement