Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use my iPad3 as a hot spot?

• 29-08-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi I'm currently using an ipad3, My fixed line is only 5.1 over wifi and can be awful to connect to in the house and I'm wondering can I use my iPad as a hot spot, I'm currently with Vodafone but would move if needed to get this option, use as hotspot isn't coming up in my setting, bought from apple not from Vodafone,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Dan82 wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently using an ipad3, My fixed line is only 5.1 over wifi and can be awful to connect to in the house and I'm wondering can I use my iPad as a hot spot, I'm currently with Vodafone but would move if needed to get this option, use as hotspot isn't coming up in my setting, bought from apple not from Vodafone,

You can only use it with an Irish carrier that supports it: Meteor and Tesco Mobile do. When you insert one of their SIMs, you will see the option appear. Ditto 3UK in the UK and various other carriers around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

culabula wrote: »
    You can only use it with an Irish carrier that supports it: Meteor and Tesco Mobile do. When you insert one of their SIMs, you will see the option appear. Ditto 3UK in the UK and various other carriers around the world.

Thanks for this info, why don't the other networks let you do this

Thanks for this info, why don't the other networks let you do this

Very few do, they don't want you to. For example, I know of no French network that allows it. In many cases, they are not even aware of the facility.

Get a Meteor PAYG and try it for a day for 2.99€.

Very few do, they don't want you to. For example, I know of no French network that allows it. In many cases, they are not even aware of the facility.

Get a Meteor PAYG and try it for a day for 2.99€.

I don't find that they have great coverage, thanks again for all the info tho

I don't find that they have great coverage, thanks again for all the info tho

That's why I am suggesting you try it for day -ditto Tesco Mobile. Remember, iPad has superior antennae.

• Advertisement

That's why I am suggesting you try it for day -ditto Tesco Mobile. Remember, iPad has superior antennae.

Worth a try then, it tesco the same as 02

Worth a try then, it tesco the same as 02

Yes, Tesco mobile is the same as O2 in so far as it piggy-backs on their network. Unlike O2 it allows tethering. Perhaps you should check in their sub-forum as to whether or not the hotspot appears on the new iPad though. I have checked my meteor micro-SIM and it definitely works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

O2 does allow tethering for an extra fee of 5 euro (or so) per month. But their data allowances are very small unless you buy extra.

Emobile also allow tethering (they use the same infrastructure as Meteor and are essentially the same company)

Advertisement