Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these drives would you pick for a NAS?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've seen too many failed seagate drives to even consider them as a viable option myself, but that said i've had a coupleof WD's go on me in the last couple of years, so i dont think i'd choose either.

my current favourite is the samsung spinpoint. i've had six 1.5tb ones and 8 2tb ones (in 2 different NAS's) and they're all still going strong (4 years+ 24/7 constant use for the 1.5's and over a year for the 2's) and the only time they've been powered off is when i moved house so take from that what you will. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I agree about the seagates, avoid at all costs. However, i do not agree to avoid the WD's, have been using WD's for years and never had an issue with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

It would be going into a ZyXEL NSA310 1 bay nas and i would get another of the same drive in a month or two to connect to the ZyXELs rear sata port connector in order for the nas to run a raid setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd for WD reds. They're a bit more expensive. I don't see them on amazon. The 3TB version, at least.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-3tb-red-sata-6gb-s-64mb-3-5--hard-drive-8602.html

3 year warranty vs 2 year WD green vs 1 year seagate.

The reds are very similar to the greens but with a few extra features thrown in to make them a bit more suitable for RAID. Speed and power consumption have improved a little also. There's a lot of up to date reviews on them around as they're only new.
    If you were sticking with the one drive, they I'd say that you might as well go with a green, but with RAID, I think the Reds are a good idea.

If you happen to order €400 worth of stuff from them, you can get €30 off. Not a fantastic offer but they might possibly have better ones in a few weeks. They seem to be going for coupons more lately.
    http://www.dabs.ie/articles/landingpages/landing-pages/coupons-updates-11650.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in the same situation with a nice shiny HP 40NL waiting on some new drives.

It's worth pointing out that the only Samsung drives you'll find on the market now are ones that are still in the supply chain, and you won't be able to get hold of any replacements down the line once that stock has gone.

The reason is that Seagate took over Samsung, and WD took over Hitachi so effectively there are now only two major players in the HD market. The only other remaining one is Toshiba, but I think they only make 2.5" laptop drives now.

The new RED drives seem like a good idea but since they're brand new there won't be any reliable real world data on their reliability, only what the manufacturers are claiming from their accelerated testing. There's lots of cynicism around on the various fora that this might be little more than a marketing gimmick cashing in on the recent rise in home NAS sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh yeah, I agree of course that the reds are more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. They're not that much different from the greens. A few tweaks here and there to gain a few extra MB/s and slightly better consumption on top of enabling TLER could easily have been done by WD to make a better green drive. There's a few extra other things like balance technology, but you can't really tell what effect these will have before they've been out a few years. Unlikely to make the drive worse, at least. By itself it's not worth the money, but you are getting that extra year for warranty (or 2 years over Seagate/Samsung). IMO, one year is not enough for a hard drive. They're one of the most likely components to break in your system. It's an extra 20% cost over the greens and if you could afford it, I'd say go for it. If it was just a case of that you needed some storage and didn't care too much, a green would be fine

Advertisement