Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying books online

Options
  • 29-08-2012 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have never bought books online, what sites are good and hasslefree and easy for newbies like me!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Amazon.co.uk - The best by far imo, delivery is free when you spend over £25 and you're more or less guaranteed to have them within 3-5 working days, also have the option to buy used books for a good discount.

Bookdepository.co.uk - Free delivery, so if I'm just looking to buy a particular book I'll go with these rather than paying for postage with Amazon. Delivery takes 1-2 weeks in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Amazon.co.uk - The best by far imo, delivery is free when you spend over £25 and you're more or less guaranteed to have them within 3-5 working days, also have the option to buy used books for a good discount.

Bookdepository.co.uk - Free delivery, so if I'm just looking to buy a particular book I'll go with these rather than paying for postage with Amazon. Delivery takes 1-2 weeks in my experience.

MagicMarker, bookdepository hasn't the book I am looking for and Amazon has the book I want but it only takes credit card, not laser, and I honestly haven't anyone whose credit card I could use :( Do you know anywhere else I can go to for books online? thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

www.play.com maybe. I can't remember if they accept laser or not. But the maestro logo is on the bottom so I think they do.

Thanks for that Wing126, had a look there, great site but the book I am after isn't on it! :rolleyes:

www.easons.com

You might pay over the odds, if they have the book that is.

Also http://www.omahonys.ie/, never used them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

MagicMarker, bookdepository hasn't the book I am looking for and Amazon has the book I want but it only takes credit card, not laser, and I honestly haven't anyone whose credit card I could use :( Do you know anywhere else I can go to for books online? thanks...

Can you use one of those 'top-up' type cards? I'm not familiar with them but I've heard them advertised as being accepted everywhere a credit card is.

echo beach wrote: »
    Can you use one of those 'top-up' type cards? I'm not familiar with them but I've heard them advertised as being accepted everywhere a credit card is.

Are they like a gift card echo beach?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Are they like a gift card echo beach?
    Not quite; I think he's talking about something like the O2 money card. The main problem with them all is that they charge you per top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 smileybee

What about awesomebooks.co.uk? They take paypal and possibly laser. I've used them quite a bit (maybe too much) and they're pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

smileybee wrote: »
    What about awesomebooks.co.uk? They take paypal and possibly laser. I've used them quite a bit (maybe too much) and they're pretty good.

Awesomebooks is great. 3 used paperbacks delivered for a tenner- unbeatable really

• Advertisement

awesomebooks looks great but the book I want isn't on it, the only place I've seen it is ebay US and amazon! Thanks for the replies and helpful links though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You could also try http://www.bookshop.kennys.ie/ - an Irish company based in Galway, free delivery too.

Not on there either but thanks Prenderb!

Have you tried eBay?

Yes MagicMarker, it's on Ebay.com and the sellers will only ship within the US, I haven't anyone in the US that I can ask to get it for me, typical that I want the one book that I can't get! :rolleyes: :p

Advertisement