Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Comparative text question. Confused

• 29-08-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

I am returning to school tomorrow (sixth year, ugh) and today decided I would be a bit proactive and make out a few flash cards for one of my comparative texts that we completed last year, Macbeth.

My question really is because I will be using two other texts to compare as well as Macbeth, how many quotes is it necessary to know for Macbeth? Obviously as it is a play it will demand a lot more than 1984(one of my other texts) but I have been using a website " Quotes You must know to Survive Macbeth " and there are like 45 quotes, and none are particularly straight forward.

I'm now wondering are some of these quotes only necessary if Macbeth is being studied as a single text, and not a comparative?
    Basically I'm confused, and would gladly appreciate any help to shed some light on what and how much I need to know for this section

Edit: Ignore above my mind has gone to mush over the summer. Sorry, ofcourse Macbeth is the single text, its Sive, 1984 and another film that are the comparative. Major brain fart there... So the more quotes the better I presume for the single text, yeah?
    Anyway of changing title of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I didn't use any quotes in my comparative, I don't think you're expected to. I put a few snippets in as the sentence ran (e.g. when Justin says that he "would ...") but it's not like the Single Text in that way, they're just looking for comparisons. :)

Yep, but even at that I'd say it's optional. No harm having them, they can take up some space and be impressive, but I'd focus more on quotes from whatever you're doing as your Single Text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

buyer95 wrote: »
    I am returning to school tomorrow (sixth year, ugh) and today decided I would be a bit proactive and make out a few flash cards for one of my comparative texts that we completed last year, Macbeth.

My question really is because I will be using two other texts to compare as well as Macbeth, how many quotes is it necessary to know for Macbeth? Obviously as it is a play it will demand a lot more than 1984(one of my other texts) but I have been using a website " Quotes You must know to Survive Macbeth " and there are like 45 quotes, and none are particularly straight forward.

I'm now wondering are some of these quotes only necessary if Macbeth is being studied as a single text, and not a comparative?
    Basically I'm confused, and would gladly appreciate any help to shed some light on what and how much I need to know for this section

Edit: Ignore above my mind has gone to mush over the summer. Sorry, ofcourse Macbeth is the single text, its Sive, 1984 and another film that are the comparative. Major brain fart there... So the more quotes the better I presume for the single text, yeah?

You don't need that many quotes to do extremely well. I got an A1 and used no quotes in the Comparative and about 6-7 in the Single Text (Hamlet). I did use a load in the poetry though, but yeah, you don't need too many quotes to do extremely well!

buyer95 wrote: »
    Ah, yes, you do need quotes then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Don't listen to Patchy, he only got an A2. What an idiot!

• Advertisement

Don't listen to Patchy, he only got an A2. What an idiot!
    Don't listen to this guy, he fluked an A1 and didn't even get above a B in French...amateur :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

Best way for your single text is to know the events of the text inside out, and have a few good, relevant quotes to back up any major points you're trying to make! Know the key scenes, themes and characters, and you can pretty much use the same quotes to convey three aspects like that! Well, that's what I did for Hamlet, and it got me my A, so it must have worked.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Don't listen to this guy, he fluked an A1 and didn't even get above a B in French...amateur :pac:

Yeah well I did better than you in chem.

Yeah well I did better than you in chem.
    If I'd even done chem and gotten an NG I'd have wiped the floor with you.
    Irish...xoxo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Irish...xoxo.

Bítches, please keep it on topic ;):*

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

• Advertisement

Says the one who just turned the locked thread thing into a bit of an innuendo fest...:P
    But yeah, okay, GOD COEUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Says the one who just turned the locked thread thing into a bit of an innuendo fest...:P
    But yeah, okay, GOD COEUR.

Which locked thread eh Patchy? Which one there? :L

Irish...xoxo.
    Whatever... still did better than you in chem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'd probably know a few just to let them know that you know what you're on about. I can't remember if I threw any in but I'll see Saturday :P

Advertisement