Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is rubbish dumped in front of the buildings for collection?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I didn't use to work in the city centre but now I do so I have the opportunity to see and smell lovely heaps of rubbish bags left for collection in front of the buildings. I've lived in a couple of cities and it's the first time I see such an arrangement - elsewhere rubbish containers are hidden at the back of terraces and where not practical, large containers are placed every couple of buildings for businesses and residents to drop their bags in. Why cannot it be done this way here?

There's so much discussion on how to make the city more tourist friendly... I'd say that smelly, leaking bags the tourist must maneuver around just as they go out for their dinner must make strong impression and contribute to their memories of Dublin. Removing them would make the streets much more attractive. It would help with traffic too, as the guys wouldn't have to stop at every doorstep and only couple of times per street.

Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

bolton street/dorset street is terrible with all the eateries and private accomodation putting their ripped bags out every day -utter mess and the smell as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

mhge wrote: »
    I didn't use to work in the city centre but now I do so I have the opportunity to see and smell lovely heaps of rubbish bags left for collection in front of the buildings. I've lived in a couple of cities and it's the first time I see such an arrangement - elsewhere rubbish containers are hidden at the back of terraces and where not practical, large containers are placed every couple of buildings for businesses and residents to drop their bags in. Why cannot it be done this way here?

There's so much discussion on how to make the city more tourist friendly... I'd say that smelly, leaking bags the tourist must maneuver around just as they go out for their dinner must make strong impression and contribute to their memories of Dublin. Removing them would make the streets much more attractive. It would help with traffic too, as the guys wouldn't have to stop at every doorstep and only couple of times per street.

Or am I missing something?
    I don't think the large container option would work as everybody is meant to pay for rubbish collection, non residents would just start dumping in the next street over to avoid having to pay fit their own. Would large containers be more attractive? At least wheelie bins are only out one night a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should see the state of Brussels!

They have plastic-bag collections for absolutely everything and it's just disgusting - Rubbish everywhere on the various bin and recycling days.

In general, I think plastic bag collection systems are a disaster anywhere.

Dublin should come up with a better solution than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't think the large container option would work as everybody is meant to pay for rubbish collection, non residents would just start dumping in the next street over to avoid having to pay fit their own.

But there is nothing stopping them from dumping today either. They can easily dump their bag with other paid bags passing by...
    Would large containers be more attractive? At least wheelie bins are only out one night a week.

Wheelie bins are not too bad, it's these revolting splitting stinking bags :)

Seriously, one change in waste collection policy could make the town look so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But there is nothing stopping them from dumping today either. They can easily dump their bag with other paid bags passing by...

They'd be a hell of a lot more obvious doing it. You're more likely to notice someone else putting rubbish in your own wheelie bin than noticing someone who's not meant to be using a communal container.

Are plastic bags a problem in Dublin so? Can't say I've noticed down in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

TheChizler wrote: »
    They'd be a hell of a lot more obvious doing it. You're more likely to notice someone else putting rubbish in your own wheelie bin than noticing someone who's not meant to be using a communal container.

There are no wheelie bins, these are just bags dumped on the pavement before businesses or houses - you could easily dump another one. In the city centre there is no space for a wheelie bin for each door.
    I think the way it works with containers is that legitimate users are issued keys or passcodes. Sometimes also rolls of stickers with barcodes to put on bags so that the crew can scan them.
    Are plastic bags a problem in Dublin so? Can't say I've noticed down in Cork.

I find them quite noticeable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I live on Echlin st, which is one of the main routes to the Guinness Storehouse - it's bags only around here, and with Greyhounds sporadic collecting in the area the whole street can often look like a rubbish tip. There are literally thousands of tourists walking up this street every day, and every tour bus heading for the brewery - it's quite regular for bags left out to be thrown out onto the road, kicked around and in a couple of cases, set on fire. I have also witnessed kids from nearby throw bottles, stones, and in one case, a car battery at passing tourists. I also have the pleasure of my front door being kicked in at least twice every night and listened as the occasional tourist tries to scold the door-kicker only to be at the receiving end of an impressive torrent of abuse.

In case anyone asks, the matter has been raised with the Guards but their advice, and probably one best adhered to, is to say nothing as 'you don't want to make an enemy out of them'.

Other than that it's a lovely place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bags are not supposed to be put out before 4pm and any commercial properties putting them out before then should be fined for littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

must make strong impression and contribute to their memories of Dublin
    Have you ever been to New York City? Every street seems to be strewn with rubbish bags for collection. It's the same in most other cities I've been to. Dublin is quite clean by comparison.

Advertisement