Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wear tracksuits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah I wear them, I find them so comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Black O'Neills ftw

they so comfy
    and throw on a tshirt and can wear it to pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Wear sweatpants in the house as they're comfortable but that's where it ends.

Adults wearing full on adidas tracksuits or even the bottoms out and about is just cringeworthy though.

O'Neills are fine if you're about 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Do you wear tracksuits?

No matter what I wear, I'm still the best-dressed divil in any place I shop.... Yesterday, for instance, I went to the local supermarket with shorts and a sports top splattered with sauce on the front from the spaghetti I had just eaten for dinner. Without doubt, I was the best-dressed person there. It's so easy to be a sloppy lazy-arsed git in some areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I wear them when I can't find anything else to wear. For comfort, training and around the house.

I couldn't care less what people think. The clothes don't make the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I was wearing a tracksuit yesterday for the first time in years because was going to cut the grass in my front garden and someone rang the Guards on me for looking suspicious :pac:

wprathead wrote: »
    Black O'Neills ftw

they so comfy
    and throw on a tshirt and can wear it to pub

:pac:
    There's always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

bbam wrote: »
    and a general low class look.

If you want a low class look, look no further than half the hipster lads you see on the streets of Dublin.That rent boy meets Sparks roadie look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

use to wear a tractsuit bottom at times, but who wears a full tracksuit if they are not on their way to playing sports or doing something athletic :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

People who complain about tracksuits are very insecure and several classes below what they aspire to themselves.

IM0 wrote: »
    use to wear a tractsuit bottom at times, but who wears a full tracksuit if they are not on their way to playing sports or doing something athletic :confused:

You could insist on being as stringently utilitarian about many fashion items if you wanted to.

Why wear work boots if you'?re not an building site.

Or combats.

Or trainers.

Or hats in good weather.

The whole functionality and tracksuits argument is a pretty dumb one given that the people that usually get snobby about them think of themselves as more fashionable which, as noted above, doesn't stand up to much investigation as to functionality which is really the antithesis of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

A full shell-suit is only acceptable if it was during Euro '88.

Only real men can carry off a shell suit.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    People who complain about tracksuits are very insecure and several classes below what they aspire to themselves.

People who complain about people who complain about tracksuits, wear tracksuits.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Gods, no I could never wear a tracksuit. The lad next doors father is a regular visitor to his house and dear me, a short, fat, balding, bucktoothed, bug-eyed man in his late 50's wearing a tracksuit is not a sight for those of a nervous disposition. It shouldn't be allowed. Tracksuit wearing, other than for sporting reasons should be made a hanging offence.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Halfpan

I'd wear tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt out the odd time yeah. I wouldn't judge somebody for wearing a full tracksuit either. That seems a bit much :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Twice. Generally because the washing machine was broken.

Other than that no, I don't like the look of them and I don't find them comfortable. Also I'm not involved in any kind of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Damn right I wear tracksuits! Every day. I wear them around the house. It's all about comfort. I have no idea how someone can stand sitting on their couch in a pair of jeans. Very uncomfortable.

If I'm going anywhere (other than popping over to the shop) I get changed into a suit with a top hat and monocle, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Gods, no I could never wear a tracksuit. The lad next doors father is a regular visitor to his house and dear me, a short, fat, balding, bucktoothed, bug-eyed man in his late 50's is not a sight for those of a nervous disposition. It shouldn't be allowed. Tracksuit wearing, other than for sporting reasons should be made a hanging offence.:D

But what does that have to do with wearing a tracksuit?

If you someone looks like that, people aren't really going to pay much attention to their clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

But what does that have to do with wearing a tracksuit?

If you someone looks like that, people aren't really going to pay much attention to their clothes!

Because its my opinion and what I say should go, so there. So many tracksuit wearers are obese. Its ironic that so many fatties embraced sports wear as their clothing of choice, it must be the elasticated waistband. Tracksuits are ugly in my opinion. Therefore ugly people wearing ugly clothing should be outlawed. If for nothing more than aesthetic reasons. I'm not exactly skinny but Jeebus I'd never dream of wearing a tracksuit.:p

*Am joking*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

If I'm around the house I'll wear shorts, I know a lad whose 'clothes shopping' involves going Lifestyle Sports, he's in his 20's.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    yes when im out walking/keeping fit or when i am valeting cars for ppl, apart from that never. Tracksuits are not fashion.

"Tracksuits are not fashion"?!

Is your life one big fashion parade? Do you feel you have to look good at all times unless exercising or cleaning cars? What do you wear when you're chilling at home on an early Saturday afternoon? Fashion is fickle. And also sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

id wear a pair of cantos alright, but leave the nike/addidas/mckenna for those on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Just to the gym.The rare occasion I've throw one on dashing to the shop...although the last time I was asked for ID while buying a bottle of wine :o
    Won't be doing that again :(

srm23 wrote: »
    id wear a pair of cantos alright, but leave the nike/addidas/mckenna for those on the dole.

You've got some sort of problem with snobbishness.

You've got some sort of problem with snobbishness.

a pair of cantos are comfortable yet don't scream knacker like the rest.
    its the most sensible option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Your attitude, however, does scream knacker

I don't know what cantos are.

Aren't they all just trousers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I completely agree. Track suits are for poor people who can't afford proper clothing . It's just a trend in ireland , no where else ! They just make you look like knackers . Especially the matching luminous ones. Yes I'm a snob.

if everyone is honest they'll admit that cantos are fine & unlikely to be seen on a swedish house mafia attending, hackenberg drinking, dole scrounging knack while they sit in hill 16 roaring intelligible sentences at each other or walking their horse/cart down a busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I don't know what cantos are.

Aren't they all just trousers?

Look here to know what they are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Oh god Canterbury? That's "posh" knacker clothing if ever I seen it. For the people who started "supporting" rugby around the time we got good at at. How embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Tracksuits no, hoodies yes. Haven't worn a full tracksuit in years. I prefer hoodies but can't stand a full tracksuit or tracksuit bottoms any more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Only tracksuit bottoms and only then when I am on a walk or in the gym. I hate them with a passion! I've even threatened my boyfriend about wearing them when I'm around! And that includes "Cantos". I hate them even more to be honest!
    "Tracksuits are not fashion"?!

Is your life one big fashion parade? Do you feel you have to look good at all times unless exercising or cleaning cars? What do you wear when you're chilling at home on an early Saturday afternoon? Fashion is fickle. And also sh*te.

Personally, I always like to dress well. I see no reason in dressing badly when it takes the same amount of effort to dress well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't know how people think tracksuits are cheap. Go into Lifestyle or Elvery's and you'll see Canterbury, Nike and Adidas tracksuits going for 100 quid or more easily. The jumpers alone can be up to €70. You could pop down to penneys and get jeans and a nice shirt for less than half of that and somehow that makes you an upstanding higher class citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No I am not a filthy junkie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I find it humorous that people still associate tracksuits with junkies, just walk around town and the majority of junkies/alcos you see will be wearing jeans, the reccession must be adjusting the 'fashions' :P . Nothing wrong with full tracksuits and as above they are not cheap or "poor peoples" clothing, while I'd never pay over €60/€70 odd for a tracksuit some cost in the 100s (which I think is ridiculous, same way I think about the prices of abercrombie and that other one in dundrum forget the name are). But at the end of the day it's up to the individual how they want to dress, if they want to spend €100 odd on a pair of jeans, let them. Doesn't make them "posh" or an upstanding citizen.
    Dress a scumbag in a suit, they remain a scumbag. When a person shows up to court on a murder charge in a suit are they automatically a better person? By some peoples logic here that is what they are suggesting...
    I'm certainly not a scumbag and wear tracksuits and runners pretty much exclusively :) .

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I find it humorous that people still associate tracksuits with junkies, just walk around town and the majority of junkies/alcos you see will be wearing jeans, the reccession must be adjusting the 'fashions' :P . Nothing wrong with full tracksuits and as above they are not cheap or "poor peoples" clothing, while I'd never pay over €60/€70 odd for a tracksuit some cost in the 100s (which I think is ridiculous, same way I think about the prices of abercrombie and that other one in dundrum forget the name are). But at the end of the day it's up to the individual how they want to dress, if they want to spend €100 odd on a pair of jeans, let them. Doesn't make them "posh" or an upstanding citizen.
    Dress a scumbag in a suit, they remain a scumbag. When a person shows up to court on a murder charge in a suit are they automatically a better person? By some peoples logic here that is what they are suggesting...
    I'm certainly not a scumbag and wear tracksuits and runners pretty much exclusively :) .

Nick

Personally, I don't link tracksuits with anyone but I just see it as lazy and ugly dressing tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Personally, I don't link tracksuits with anyone but I just see it as lazy and ugly dressing tbh...

Do you also apply this to wearing a t-shirt and jeans/leggings? It takes about the same time and effort as putting on a tracksuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

When I first arrived off the boat, I thought it was a cultural thing. Maybe the Irish wear the tracksuits like Americans wear our jeans, but then I noticed that it was mostly a young male Irish thing. I eventually came to the conclusion that it may also be a class thing - at least for those who seem to wear them as their everyday wardrobe and not those wearing them to work-out.

When I first arrived off the boat, I thought it was a cultural thing. Maybe the Irish wear the tracksuits like Americans wear our jeans, but then I noticed that it was mostly a young male Irish thing. I eventually came to the conclusion that it may also be a class thing - at least for those who seem to wear them as their everyday wardrobe and not those wearing them to work-out.

You arrived from America in a boat and you're complaining about the lower classes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

anncoates wrote: »
    You arrived from America in a boat and you're complaining about the lower classes?

^^Amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

I wear them around the house, when just going to friends houses etc or sometimes in college, would'NT be in a rush to wear them going to the pub though.

Do you also apply this to wearing a t-shirt and jeans/leggings? It takes about the same time and effort as putting on a tracksuit.

Well my point is if it takes the same amount of time to put on tracksuit bottoms as it does to put on jeans why not dress well and put on the jeans?

and don't start me on leggings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Well my point is if it takes the same amount of time to put on tracksuit bottoms as it does to put on jeans why not dress well and put on the jeans?

and don't start me on leggings!

It's quicker to put on a pair of trackie bottoms, no buttons or fly to be done up or belt to be put on. If I'm running to the shops for a quick carton of milk etc I will put on my trackies and not jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I wore a tracksuit out for the first time 2 days ago. Just a hoody and bottoms, was so comfy!!!

But I spat ice cream all over myself when I laughed, and had brown stains all over it :P

kfallon wrote: »
    It's quicker to put on a pair of trackie bottoms, no buttons or fly to be done up or belt to be put on. If I'm running to the shops for a quick carton of milk etc I will put on my trackies and not jeans.

Well fair enough, I was replying to King of Moo who says otherwise but tbh it's just the way I see it! I hate tracksuit bottoms and as a girl it's definitely just as easy to throw a dress and tights on than those yokes. I just can'y stand them on anyone

mauzo wrote: »
    I wore a tracksuit out for the first time 2 days ago. Just a hoody and bottoms, was so comfy!!!

But I spat ice cream all over myself when I laughed, and had brown stains all over it :P

You can't beat a good hoody :D

P.S. can't take you anywhere :p

Well fair enough, I was replying to King of Moo who says otherwise but tbh it's just the way I see it! I hate tracksuit bottoms and as a girl it's definitely just as easy to throw a dress and tights on than those yokes. I just can'y stand them on anyone

Somehow I don't think me throwing on a dress or leggings running to the shop is gonna go down too well :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

kfallon wrote: »
    mauzo wrote: »

You can't beat a good hoody :D

P.S. can't take you anywhere :p

You actually can't, a few minutes before that I fell off a stool and poured my ice cream toppings all over myself....
    My friend kept making me laugh about it so I ended up spraying chocolate ice cream all over the place and crying with laughter.

So I was walking around in a scruffy tracksuit :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement