Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a motherboard PLEASE:)

Options
  • 29-08-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I gvemy friends laptop to a local computer place.He said it needs a new mtoherboard.Its only 18 months old.He offered me 70 for the laptop,as he said it was very expensive to get a new one.
    Now all that happened was, she turned the laptop off and now its not starting up.
    I havent used this guy before, so Im being careful.
    If it is the motherboard, about how much is a new one.??Its a HP.Thanks,Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Could you please give the model name of the laptop? HP is just a brand name and we can't really tell much from that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Very unlikely that it is the motherboard in my opinion.
    I've fixed several laptops for friends recently that so-called computer shops have said 'the motherboard is gone'.
    9 times out of 10 it's the CPU that is blown.
    Usually the CPUs are AMD or Celerons and are easy to pop if they get too hot.

What happens when you turn on the power button?
    If you see the power LEDs light up and a blank screen,
    I would be 90% certain that it is the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are supposed to have a 2 year warranty by law. Just return it for free repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

give it to a male friend and see how he fares with a shop. not being funny but i have heard many a story of girls being ripped off with dodgy laptops or dodgy shops should i say or bring it elsewhere and get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moon54 wrote: »
    Very unlikely that it is the motherboard in my opinion.
    I've fixed several laptops for friends recently that so-called computer shops have said 'the motherboard is gone'.
    9 times out of 10 it's the CPU that is blown.
    Usually the CPUs are AMD or Celerons and are easy to pop if they get too hot.

What happens when you turn on the power button?
    If you see the power LEDs light up and a blank screen,
    I would be 90% certain that it is the CPU.

IMO(and statistically I'd wager) its far more common for the GPU to be at fault for non posts, than and power failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are supposed to have a 2 year warranty by law. Just return it for free repair or replacement.

You sure? What about Dell?

Yes even Dell. Don't let them fob you off with their "standard 1 year warranty", you have TWO years. I got a brand new laptop off them after my 1.5 year old laptop kept overheating.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Yes even Dell. Don't let them fob you off with their "standard 1 year warranty", you have TWO years. I got a brand new laptop off them after my 1.5 year old laptop kept overheating.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

OP: Unless you want a discussion on consumer law which is likely inaccurate skip to post #21.

The two year warranty is a misconception born out of a European directive that meant that all member states had to allow at least two years for consumers to make a claim under legislation. As Ireland allows six years so that did not apply here.

That aside an item must function for a 'reasonable' time. 18 months on a new laptop isn't reasonable. That said it's up to you to sort that out with the seller not the manufacturer. Where was it purchased?

EDIT: That linked website is terrible - No offence intended to the linker but that badly needs a rewrite - its just simply wrong.

Read the link, it seems pretty clear to me. The results are the same - you should get a replacement.

"Wherever you buy goods in the EU, you have two years to request repairs or replacement if they turn out to be faulty or not as advertised. If a product cannot be repaired or replaced within a reasonable time or without inconvenience, you may request a refund or price reduction."

And as stated, I used this to get a replacement even tho Dell tried to be difficult.

Read the link, it seems pretty clear to me. The results are the same - you should get a replacement.

"Wherever you buy goods in the EU, you have two years to request repairs or replacement if they turn out to be faulty or not as advertised. If a product cannot be repaired or replaced within a reasonable time or without inconvenience, you may request a refund or price reduction."

And as stated, I used this to get a replacement even tho Dell tried to be difficult.

As stated in my edit that is not the case in Ireland. That's not the case in most eu-member states (AFAIK) either that website is simply wrong - or very badly worded.

You may have quoted it but the rights you got vindicated where your rights under:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/index.html (See section 21 which inserts Section 53 of the 1893 Act)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1957/en/act/pub/0006/index.html (as amended in 1991 and 2000) (See Section 11)

• Advertisement

And your evidence for this is where?

It worked for me, and it will work for the OP.

edit: No way am I looking through that massive document you linked, provide something specific. Does it provide a 2 year guarantee? If so great, the OP should get a replacement anyway!

And your evidence for this is where?

It worked for me, and it will work for the OP.

See my edit.

Additionally European law has no effect in Ireland unless enacted - this is a constitutional protection and is referred to a dualism. It explains why we signed up to the ECHR in 1953 but didn't enact it until 2003.

EDIT: I've now referenced the sections. A brief explanation: Conditions are major terms e.g. I will provide oranges - providing apples would be a breach of condition. A warranty is a more minor term like the oranges will have little blue stickers on.

Which subsection should we be looking at?

And you said the other link was difficult to read ;)

So this goes in as a new post rather than an edit - you are limiting yourself by saying it's two years. Apparently registrars have been known to make awards for items over €1500 five years after purchase.

I know in the UK a printer manufacturer was made to replace a faulty printer after five years.

Instead of getting into a pointless argument over minutae, do you agree that the OP is entitled to a refund/replacement for their faulty laptop?

Which subsection should we be looking at?

And you said the other link was difficult to read ;)

You won't find a section telling you what warranty is given on goods because the act doesn't specify that - it states a 'reasonable' time.

Instead of getting into a pointless argument over minutae, do you agree that the OP is entitled to a refund/replacement for their faulty laptop?

Nope.

They are possibly entitled to a repair though. You would need to talk to someone with experience of the decisions the District Court (which encompasses the Small Claims Court). ORt he OP would need to provide more information on where it was purchased and then I might suggest taking it to the SmCC.

In my case Dell did try to repair the laptop. However it was a known design flaw so after the problem persisted they gave me a brand new one.

Similarly the OP is entitled to a free repair, and if that fails to satisy then a full replacement.

In my case Dell did try to repair the laptop. However it was a known design flaw so after the problem persisted they gave me a brand new one.

Similarly the OP is entitled to a free repair, and if that fails to satisy then a full replacement.

If the repair fails then they are likely entitled to a reject the good and repudiate the contract - in effect get a refund. They may leverage that to a replacement - or indeed argue they want a replacement in the first instance instead of a repair. What they are not entitled to though is to reject the goods in the first instance.

All this is against the seller though not the manufacturer - which is Dells case is generally the same - but would not be in the case of, say, a Dell purchased from PC World.

So we both agree the OP should not be paying anything for a new motherboard then.

• Advertisement

So we both agree the OP should not be paying anything for a new motherboard then.

I need more info but - assuming it was purchased new by the OP, as a consumer, off of an Irish seller trading in the course of a business. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I gave it back to my friends and she is going to another store to get a second opinion.Ill let yous know what happened.
    I do think sometimes, because Im a girl, they can take the piss , a big huge bit.
    Thank God, for boards.I can pretend I know whay Im talking about.:)

Don't go to another store, bring it back to the place of purchase and demand repair.

Don't go to another store, bring it back to the place of purchase and demand repair.

+1 Arguments about semantics aside this is 100% what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

seriously, call up the store you bought it from. you don't need to pay for the repair.

and being HP, I'm willing to put money on it that its the nvidia GPU that died.

Advertisement