Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking on a budget

Options
  • 29-08-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to budget and cut down on my food bill among others. I'm looking for cheap but HEALTHY recipes (low in saturated fat and salt etc).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

P.S. I cook for one but don't mind freezing some of a meal to be use at a future date.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

the oul spuds, cabbage and a chop. Cant go wrong
    Noodles with stir fried vegetables
    Chicken curry with rice
    Spaghetti Bolognase

I dunno what meals you have been cooking previously but the above should only cost 2 euro or less a day for one person

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the first thing you need to do is see where you are buying your food from, it will have a big impact on your food costs, regardless of what you are actually cooking and eating.

We saved a fortune by switching our weekly shop from Tesco/Dunnes/Superquinn to Aldi and Lidl for most of it with a few speciality items got from Tesco online and having it delivered to save the bother of actually going there.

I'd say we're doing about 80% in Aldi and 10% each in Lidl and Tesco online and saving atleast at 100 quid a week just doing this, if not more. And imho most of the food is actually jus at as good and in many cases better than what we were originally getting from Tesco etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I know those shops can be cheaper. However, i always have to go to Dunnes as well for thinks Aldi/Lidl don't stock. I find this a real pain!

areyawell wrote: »
    the oul spuds, cabbage and a chop. Cant go wrong
    Noodles with stir fried vegetables
    Chicken curry with rice
    Spaghetti Bolognase

I dunno what meals you have been cooking previously but the above should only cost 2 euro or less a day for one person

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I'm looking for healthier options and actual recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

As a thin person I won't be lowering my carb intake as I don't want to loose weight. I always choose brown carbs. With my family history a low saturated fat and salt diet is seriously recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have a look at net mums web site, some great tips

Have a look at net mums web site, some great tips

Great. They have a 'budget meals' section. I'll have a look through this.

http://www.netmums.com/family-food/guide-to-cooking-on-a-budget

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement