Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing work on Townhouse & need advice

• 29-08-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi All,

Currently living in a 2 bed townhouse with nice back garden area and everything we need , well an extra room would be nice :) but all in all it's a nice area with nice couples living around us,

The building is 6 years old and in great condition but in the winters it gets very cold, it has a lovely open fire but we have the dreaded storage heaters and we get not much heat and a lot of bills from them, With the winter rolling in I've a few question you might be able to help me with.

1. Do any companies supply energy test or test for where we can improve the property.
    2. What else could we put in to replace the storage heaters that are cost effective.
    3. Are stoves worth while investment to save money.
    4. I do believe that builder put rubbish wall insulation in the property, can we check this and is it expensive to put more in , we have a property above us and built onto us in the block so can we do this?
    4. Are there any other measures we should be looking at to have a warm winter this year?

Be great to hear from some people with advice or someone that has done or does this type of work,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dan82 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Currently living in a 2 bed townhouse with nice back garden area and everything we need , well an extra room would be nice :) but all in all it's a nice area with nice couples living around us,

The building is 6 years old and in great condition but in the winters it gets very cold, it has a lovely open fire but we have the dreaded storage heaters and we get not much heat and a lot of bills from them, With the winter rolling in I've a few question you might be able to help me with.

1. Do any companies supply energy test or test for where we can improve the property.
    2. What else could we put in to replace the storage heaters that are cost effective.
    4. I do believe that builder put rubbish wall insulation in the property, can we check this and is it expensive to put more in , we have a property above us and built onto us in the block so can we do this?
    4. Are there any other measures we should be looking at to have a warm winter this year?

Be great to hear from some people with advice or someone that has done or does this type of work,

Thanks

I have a 2 bed townhouse.
    I got a stove and it heats the whole house . In fact it gets to hot .

You could go around the house looking for drafts. Front doors and windows to start with, and fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I have a 2 bed townhouse.
    I got a stove and it heats the whole house . In fact it gets to hot .

You could go around the house looking for drafts. Front doors and windows to start with, and fix.

What size one did you get, and it warms the whole place? Did you have storage heating too?

i do think the insulation job could be well worth doing or checking at least, really need something instead of the storage heating too i do believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

What size one did you get, and it warms the whole place? Did you have storage heating too?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57501982

I put it in a while ago. It was a little stanley osin.

Not plumbed in. But it still heats my little home very well in winter. Doors open everywhere .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi All,

Thanks
    1. yes put your query here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682402&page=4
    2. lots of things but your building fabric/envolpe is the weak link so start here
    3.yes, you will need to allow a budget for flue liner etc
    4. yes you can insulate (and consider air-tightness as another poster suggested) but careful consideration of the type and location is required.
    5. do number 1. or first read around this forum and the construction one.
    best of luck

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    1. yes put your query here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682402&page=4
    2. lots of things but your building fabric/envolpe is the weak link so start here
    3.yes, you will need to allow a budget for flue liner etc
    4. yes you can insulate (and consider air-tightness as another poster suggested) but careful consideration of the type and location is required.
    5. do number 1. or first read around this forum and the construction one.
    best of luck

Thanks a million, this has helped a lot

Advertisement