Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 29-08-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Im starting in UCD next week,but Im not sure about textbooks for my course. Do we need to know what they are before we start lectures or are we told what books to get during orientation?
    Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You will be told during lectures, but in some cases they will be posted on the school website or blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just bring a notepad for the first week, you'll be told what you need for each lecture in the first lecture for each subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

also be careful re buying books. It may not be neccessary to buy many, if indeed any, of the books listed on the course as the Library will have them. You can take photocpoies of the appropriate chapters etc. Books are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

don't buy books, it's a waste of money in most cases. the only people i know who've bought books are law students and they need them for their whole degree. the library has everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Try not to buy brand new books if you can, they're horribly expensive. You'll find plenty of books on your subject in the library. Saying that, I definitely only passed a certain exam with help from a textbook I got online, check out Amazon and places like that where you might get older editions for cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

don't buy books, it's a waste of money in most cases. the only people i know who've bought books are law students and they need them for their whole degree. the library has everything you need.

I'm going into second year Law, and I managed well enough without buying any books last year. There would have been no point in buying, for example, a Contract Law book as once the module is finished I wouldn't touch it again for my degree, unless I fail it. But other courses might continue on with certain modules, in which case a text book might be useful.

In first year you'll probably manage just fine with the library and photocopying chapters. Although if you're in a large course, get the texts you need for assignments as soon as possible, before they're all gone.

If you do need a certain book, be careful regarding different editions. We were given an assignment where the core recommended text was due to be pusblished in May this year (I think). The assignment was due in March :rolleyes:

Advertisement