Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postgrad my.tcd.ie

• 29-08-2012 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Have other postgrads received their email to access their Student Portal on my.tcd.ie yet? I understand the website says they are coming out in batches as and from yesterday, but I have fees due next Monday and the fees office told me I should have received an email by now, just wondering has anyone else got one or are people waiting? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 missdisco

no, i haven't got one either, and i really want it so I can relax and be less worried about it all. (registration and money stuff is so stressful, especially since i'm going away for a week next week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Shame about that alright, maybe they'll be out to us by Friday...hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

I received an email about 2 weeks ago about the log in details. managed to pay the first part of my fees as well. I haven't heard anything about when I am officially starting nor have I received anything from the Uni except how to pay my fees. Does anyone have any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KingKazama

I haven't received any word yet. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Colonia

Me neither..

• Advertisement

anyone had any word today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

as far as I know there's no 'general' Postgrad info that's sent out, it's down to the individual courses so you're probably best off contacting the Course Coordinator or Course Admin. The teaching date for most taught Postgrads is the same as the Undergrads (24th Sept.) and all the details about Postgrad Orientation are on the General Orientation page: http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/postgraduate/index.php

If you're doing a Postgrad by research get in touch with your supervisor about it.

edit: sorry, I misread the OP, I didn't realise you were talking exclusively about fees :o

missdisco wrote: »
    anyone had any word today?

No word today either :rolleyes:
    Jerrica wrote: »
    as far as I know there's no 'general' Postgrad info that's sent out, it's down to the individual courses so you're probably best off contacting the Course Coordinator or Course Admin. The teaching date for most taught Postgrads is the same as the Undergrads (24th Sept.) and all the details about Postgrad Orientation are on the General Orientation page: http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/postgraduate/index.php

edit: sorry, I misread the OP, I didn't realise you were talking exclusively about fees :o

Not at all Jerrica, any additional info is always helpful, especially start dates etc, I have no information about these things as yet! I just mentioned fees because I won't have them paid by their due date because I can't get in to my TCD portal thing yet! :)

yeah, i'm wondering about the portal thing. I'm a phd, teaching is over, i does as i pleases for now until someone asks to see work! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Research masters student here. I had been told that the fee invoices would be available on my.tcd.ie by the 22nd of August. From what I can see at least, this form is still not available. Has anyone managed to get hold of one of these?

• Advertisement

well, I haven't even received my log in data for my.tcd, I am still only able to log into pac.ie.
    Should I be worried? I have already asked per mail a few times about what is going on, and they always told me to just wait...

I can't log in to the tcd student portal yet, just sitting waiting on an email to let me start paying fees etc! Mailed the student fees office and she told me I should have received it, I mailed back I hadn't and still no word :rolleyes:

has anyone had information? i'm still waiting on it.

Dies anyone know the actual starting dates? As far as. Anyone on the phone can tell me research postgrads aren't starting until the 24th September. Anyone any idea? Trinity halls is letting postgrads in in the 14th.

Not a clue when postgrads start properly, would love to know though, especially my timetable!

did everyone else just work out from the post in the other thread that the my.tcd.ie portal can be accessed before you get the email, because the password is a date of birth.

didn't see that, did you try it missdisco?

wow, this actually works!

username is your student id
    password is your birthday in this format : "01JAN1990"

Tried it there but no joy! :rolleyes:

I was able to use the password that I used for my application.

• Advertisement

Ok now I am able to see the total fees, but I am a little bit confused. Dont they offset the deposit against the tution fee?
    I just see the sum of the total tution fee + Sports Centre Charge + USI Levy + Commencement. Is this correct?

What do you mean by deposit? I don't recall paying one.

i did try this, it worked. i'm sorta disappointed by tcd for not being more helpful. like, thank god i'm a google savvy person, cos i'd be so confused now otherwise, without this forum. :)

missdisco wrote: »
    did everyone else just work out from the post in the other thread that the my.tcd.ie portal can be accessed before you get the email, because the password is a date of birth.

Cheers missdisco, it worked! It shows the option to pre-register but I think I'll wait to receive word for the college to do it.:)

Well I had to pay 500€ deposit in order to secure my college place. (Applied via pac.ie)

For me it seems like this is only a proforma bill yet, not the final one.

Colonia wrote: »

Well I had to pay 500€ deposit in order to secure my college place. (Applied via pac.ie)

For me it seems like this is only a proforma bill yet, not the final one.

Ok thanks-I applied directly through the university. Going to phone on Monday to see what the starting date actually is for me.

Guys, I put in my DOB for password and the page came up asking for security questions and to confirm new password :cool: did any successful people see this page?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

I logged in with my PAC number & DOB. When I clicked on the my finances tab & looked to see what fees i have to pay I have my course tuition fees, usi levy & sports charge. The €500 deposit I paid earlier has been taken off the overall cost. So the overall total is just over €5K. What I'm wondering is, there's no registration fee (student contribution charge). I think this is about the €2K mark. Have they forgotten to invoice me for this or do I not have to pay this as I'm paying full fees as a postrgrad student? I'll be delighted if the fees are less than I anticipated but I reckon they've just forgotten to include this contribution charge. Anyone enlighten me?

moorele wrote: »
    I logged in with my PAC number & DOB. When I clicked on the my finances tab & looked to see what fees i have to pay I have my course tuition fees, usi levy & sports charge. The €500 deposit I paid earlier has been taken off the overall cost. So the overall total is just over €5K. What I'm wondering is, there's no registration fee (student contribution charge). I think this is about the €2K mark. Have they forgotten to invoice me for this or do I not have to pay this as I'm paying full fees as a postrgrad student? I'll be delighted if the fees are less than I anticipated but I reckon they've just forgotten to include this contribution charge. Anyone enlighten me?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is no student contribution charge for postgraduate students. I did a HDip last year and didn't have to pay it, just the course tuition fees, usi levy and sports charge. So the figure you are seeing there is correct.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Not a clue when postgrads start properly, would love to know though, especially my timetable!

Registration is done online, and new entrants can collect their student cards from the college during the week beginning September 10th. There is an 'orientation' meeting for new postgrads on September 14th.

For most taught courses, classes begin the same week as the undergraduates' classes I believe, so that is Monday 24th September. From what I remember, a lot of taught Master's courses don't tend to change radically their timetables from year to year, so it might be worth dropping your department an email to ask, even just for an indicative timetable (although things are crazy at this time of year, so be prepared to be ignored! :p)

gutenberg wrote: »
    From what I remember, a lot of taught Master's courses don't tend to change radically their timetables from year to year, so it might be worth dropping your department an email to ask, even just for an indicative timetable (although things are crazy at this time of year, so be prepared to be ignored! :p)

ah gutenberg, I've sent them several emails from some time in July and have been ignored! ah well, suppose I'll have the timetable soon enough! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

ah gutenberg, I've sent them several emails from some time in July and have been ignored! ah well, suppose I'll have the timetable soon enough! :)

Ah :o Well best of luck with it!

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 FanillaIce

Hi all

I just thought I'd pass on some advice based on my experience last year. I am a PhD student in the history department entering my second year there now. When I started last year it was first my year in Trinity so I hadn't a clue how things worked and any help was very useful!

Research students always wonder when they are supposed to start -I would recommend registering and picking up your student card asap and once you have your student card go to the library and start reading. If you haven't heard from your supervisor yet then contact them as soon as you have registered asking for a meeting. (It's good to have done a bit of reading first before the meeting though and to be well prepared: my supervisor wanted to know what work I had done since I had submitted the research proposal and asked me very detailed questions about what I was going to discuss in the thesis so I was glad I had at least made a rough plan of potential thesis chapter topics etc).
    Once you've had the meeting though you should have a clear idea of what you should be working on for the next while.
    My school had an orientation meeting for new postgrads on the 22nd September last year but as far as I remember we got fairly late notice about it so don't worry if you don't hear anything for a while.
    The main thing I would recommend to all new postgrads (taught and research) is to register and familiarise yourself with the library and postgrad reading room etc as soon as possible -you won't want to waste any time at all.

That's all I can think of right now but enjoy your time in Trinity and let me know if there's anything else I can help with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

KingKazama wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is no student contribution charge for postgraduate students. I did a HDip last year and didn't have to pay it, just the course tuition fees, usi levy and sports charge. So the figure you are seeing there is correct.:)

Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭siobhanosaur

Have any postgrads been called to register yet? Since it said postgrads register from the 28th and undergrads from the 5th I presumed I would have been called by now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 V1P3R

Have any postgrads been called to register yet? Since it said postgrads register from the 28th and undergrads from the 5th I presumed I would have been called by now! :eek:

I'm still waiting to register as well.

Have any postgrads received their TCD email yet or know when we get this?

V1P3R wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to register as well.

Have any postgrads received their TCD email yet or know when we get this?

Nothing as of yet, unable to register or pay fees! Been checking emails continuously since last Tuesday thinking I would've been sent something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

I am getting so frustrated with this new system. I was an undergrad at TCD for the last four years and had a bit of a laugh when I got the email about the new portal system that would minimise having to queue. A new system which involved a complicated online process and then joining a queue to get your new student card?!

ANYWAY... I haven't been contacted about my password/username by the college at all, was not invited to register, even though postgrads were supposed to be invited to register from August 28th onwards (a week ago).

I found my way into my portal thanks to boards, only to find that I'm listed for the incorrect course. Great. I'm listed for a course I originally accepted on PAC but then declined in favour of a second offer that came through. PAC reflects this change of mind and I was assured by the grad studies office back in May that it was all sorted.

So, I rang the GeneSIS helpline three days in a row and dealt with two unhelpful people before a third rang me back to tell me that there was a delay in the updating of data between PAC and my.tcd.ie. She said my portal should be corrected in a day or two and that I would receive an email and not to do anything.

I feel so messed about and let down by college. My course fees are in excess of seven thousand euro, a massive amount of money. I thought long and hard about parting with such an amount and this sort of service from the college does not reflect the price we pay for postgraduate education. Of course, glitches are to be expected in a new system but this is ridiculous. It's September, why on earth isn't it sorted by now? I'm sick of checking my email every half hour, waiting for them to sort this out. It's frustrating and worrying.

Sorry about the long post/rant. I just feel that this whole changeover to the portal has been badly handled and is running too late into the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Did anyone else receive a cryptic message about ´New intray message received´ from TCD registry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JJ.

Amber 123 wrote: »
    I am getting so frustrated with this new system. I was an undergrad at TCD for the last four years and had a bit of a laugh when I got the email about the new portal system that would minimise having to queue. A new system which involved a complicated online process and then joining a queue to get your new student card?!

ANYWAY... I haven't been contacted about my password/username by the college at all, was not invited to register, even though postgrads were supposed to be invited to register from August 28th onwards (a week ago).

I found my way into my portal thanks to boards, only to find that I'm listed for the incorrect course. Great. I'm listed for a course I originally accepted on PAC but then declined in favour of a second offer that came through. PAC reflects this change of mind and I was assured by the grad studies office back in May that it was all sorted.

So, I rang the GeneSIS helpline three days in a row and dealt with two unhelpful people before a third rang me back to tell me that there was a delay in the updating of data between PAC and my.tcd.ie. She said my portal should be corrected in a day or two and that I would receive an email and not to do anything.

I feel so messed about and let down by college. My course fees are in excess of seven thousand euro, a massive amount of money. I thought long and hard about parting with such an amount and this sort of service from the college does not reflect the price we pay for postgraduate education. Of course, glitches are to be expected in a new system but this is ridiculous. It's September, why on earth isn't it sorted by now? I'm sick of checking my email every half hour, waiting for them to sort this out. It's frustrating and worrying.

Sorry about the long post/rant. I just feel that this whole changeover to the portal has been badly handled and is running too late into the year.

Hear Hear. To be honest, I'm a little shocked at the lack of communication from the college. I'm a new undergraduate, and so was supposed to be told about registration yesterday, the 5th, but it doesn't bode well if the postgrads haven't heard anything a week on from the date they were supposed to. I feel sorry for the people who perhaps aren't aware of forums like these, because if it wasn't for reading boards I'd have no idea what was going on with this new SIS system and registration. The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess. Whilst I too understand there will always be teething problems when migrating onto an entirely new IT system, that they hadn't prepared for this over the summer is really surprising, and nobody at the college seems to have an idea about how it works - so many mixed messages. What perhaps is most irritating is when, amongst all this confusion, the college news release somehting like this: http://www.tcd.ie/Communications/news/news.php?headerID=2658&vs_date=2012-9-1 :rolleyes:

JJ. wrote: »
    Hear Hear. To be honest, I'm a little shocked at the lack of communication from the college.I feel sorry for the people who perhaps aren't aware of forums like these, because if it wasn't for reading boards I'd have no idea what was going on with this new SIS system and registration. The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess. Whilst I too understand there will always be teething problems when migrating onto an entirely new IT system, that they hadn't prepared for this over the summer is really surprising

I too am a bit surprised and likewise if it wasn't for this site I would be crapping myself that I'd been forgotten about etc what with it being September already!
    Ravelleman wrote: »
    Did anyone else receive a cryptic message about ´New intray message received´ from TCD registry?

I got this too, emailed back to say I hadn't received a username or password yet! :rolleyes:
    Amber 123 wrote: »
    My course fees are in excess of seven thousand euro, a massive amount of money. I thought long and hard about parting with such an amount and this sort of service from the college does not reflect the price we pay for postgraduate education. Of course, glitches are to be expected in a new system but this is ridiculous. It's September, why on earth isn't it sorted by now? I'm sick of checking my email every half hour, waiting for them to sort this out. It's frustrating and worrying. Sorry about the long post/rant. I just feel that this whole changeover to the portal has been badly handled and is running too late into the year.

I'm in the same boat as regards checking emails all day long and the high course fees and have debated all summer over handing it over, hopefully will be for the best in the long run! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Has anyone managed to get a fee invoice yet? I can't proceed with registration until I can get this form.
    When I log into my.tcd.ie all I see under "My Finance" is an "Amend Bank Details" option. No fee invoice. No fee information whatsoever. I rang the helpline there and was told that new postgrads are supposed to get an email this evening with more information. If I don't get that, I've to ring back tomorrow.
    Starting to worry that I'll miss registration and have to jump through even more hoops. I'm coming straight from a TCD undergrad degree, so it's not like I'm new in the system...

I'm trying to pay fees here and every attempt at payment is unsuccessful :(

I'm not even sure any more what's going on, but i (or my friend with a credit card) have paid half my fees, and the balance says o due now, and i guess it's all sorted, cos I seriously have no idea at all! All I know is I'm coming to Dublin next week for the day to pick up an card, and if it's not there, i'll be off fuming and stressed in the national gallery, or summat.

There are more people who are clueless than are clued in by the looks of things! :o I have no idea what I'm at anymore :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I got this too, emailed back to say I hadn't received a username or password yet! :rolleyes:

Neither have I. I've also received absolutely no communication regarding fees.

Edit: upon closer inspection, I have.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Neither have I. I've also received absolutely no communication regarding fees.

Edit: upon closer inspection, I have.

I am sick looking at emails and worrying what I'm supposed to be doing! :o At least you got something...in the end...!

anyone else been invited to register and got their WOWCOOLSUPERAWESOMETHISISWHATMYMONEYISFORALLTHATMONEYSOMUCH
    OFITIMEATINGLENTILSTILL2015NOWANDCRYINGMYSELFTOSLEEP uni email address?

Lol, "eating lentils till 2015" :D

i haven't received a college email address yet! I got invited to register yesterday, put in my personal details, got to the finance bit, my balance due is all messed up telling me I owe nothing, then telling me I owe way more than I actually am, rang and emailed TCD today, they're waiting on the 'tech guy' to get back before it can be rectified cause other people bills are messed up too apparently, mailed me out my bill which is actually for some first year man but filed under my name, so I'm only half registered, won't get finance and proper balance sorted till next week, gonna be a rush to get registered, collect my card... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement