Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Leak

• 29-08-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,
    I have noticed a very strong smell of heating oil in my hotpress and it turns out that there has been an oil leak from my oil tank under the house, what do I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Environmental Science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Shakeane wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have noticed a very strong smell of heating oil in my hotpress and it turns out that there has been an oil leak from my oil tank under the house, what do I do next?

I find it hard to believe that you could have an oil tank under your house. The Oil storage tank installations in the Republic of Ireland must meet the requirements of approved document J of the building regulations (2006), and those would not allow a tank to be under a house. Are you sure you don't have a leaking pipe to an oil burner somewhere? Kerosine can travel surprising distances through concrete etc, and the smell can turn up in any enclosed and unventilated spaces. The most usual places for leaks are at the boiler and at the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I'm sure you mean the oil has gone under your house, if you have a leak and its gone under your house you will need professional help and they will need to contact your insurance as it can be an expensive job to put right.
    Have you lost a lot of oil ??
    Pm me a number if you need help.

Advertisement