Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Environmental and Social Studies

• 29-08-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Have to teach this subject this year but have little knowledge about it except for what I have picked up from past exam papers. Can anyone help me regarding what I should be covering with 2nd and 3rd years. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

2nd years should be doing one of their projects for the exam (most schools do the Field Study in 2nd year), then depending on what they have got done in 1st year,

Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions, causes and effects (including migration patterns, overcrowding in cities, push/pull factors, development of trade unions etc.)

Linking then with life in rural areas in developed and developing countries and also life in cities in developed and developing countries. (Access to medical care, education, transport, common problems of farmers worldwide, common issues of city dwellers worldwide, regeneration of cities, influence of planning on the living environment in urban areas etc.)

The IR links in quite well with post-colonial Brazil and favelas, deforestation, migration, worker's rights etc..

They should also be covering different types of information collection, survey taking, map making, etc. in preparation for the project.

I've PMed you a number if you want further info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I have seen it on the exam timetable but never knew much about it, it seems like a very broad and interesting subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

I would have though most of this is already covered under Geography?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

chippers wrote: »
    I would have though most of this is already covered under Geography?

A lot of it is, or in the history course, but the big difference in ESS is how it is taught. It is all based on active learning - specified in the syllabus. I rarely use textbooks with my classes. We spend a lot of time out, either of the classroom or the school, visiting sites, making our own 'discoveries'.

Some of the project work produced in some schools, particularly on family history, is of publishable quality. The subject has been around since the 70s when it was Humanities, it has been on the JC since 1992.

It is taken currently in about 10% of schools and usually given to weak classes, because of the project work, which is a pity, as bright kids love the projects.

I have had students go on to both LC Geography and History at no discernable disadvantage, according to the LC teachers.

In one way, I think if everywhere started offering it, it would kill it as a subject as the clamour would begin for textbooks, or the dreaded notes, or worse still, 'sample' projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Climate change, innit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement