Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've been one for a long time, been trying to get my hands on a frame over the last few weeks.

So nice. So much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

OldBean wrote: »
    I've been one for a long time, been trying to get my hands on a frame over the last few weeks.

So nice. So much fun.

I credit them with turning me off carbon
    The 725 is a joy...
    Also - for some reason speed doesn't seem to matter when riding them
    Bikes are so smooth you seem to float
    Love them

It's great - it's got equal ride qualities of my first bike, a single speed On-One Inbred, and my current pride and joy tourer.

My secret reason for getting one a size smaller was so I could convince my other half to get back into cycling after her bike was nicked and 3 bikes she didn't like. She really enjoyed it. Great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well Mrs BB's bike

Old kids bike deemed for the skip, few bits a metal lying around the shed, some old tongue and groove planks, a crate , some black spray paint and c. €10 spent on some brackets and couplings in the hardware store and Coco now has a chariot :D

19607531411_a2db718f67_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Nice chariot. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Did two things at once. Changed chain rings from 50/34 to 52/36 and installed a power meter. Not in bad shape for a 6 year old bike with 22,000km behind it

354947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I wish I knew the mileage on my BMX. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

So, it is not today, but it is something I am planning on doing. I have done some bits and pieces with my own bike, and friends and family. Cassettes and Free Wheel changes, replaced brakes (V-brakes and callipers, not just the pads), chain replacements, bottom bracket replacements, flats to drops conversions.

I bought a beater at the Garda Auction, €40, steel frame, Shimano odds and sods, a hybrid type thing. I am planning on stripping it of it's parts, cleaning/replacing them when needed, upgrading if I think it merits it, and stripping the paint. I am thinking about Olive Drab on the frame, flat white on the forks, clear coat to finish. A Brooks tan leather saddle, tan grips, black mudguards, and black pannier racks front and back.

I am not doing this for the love of the bike, but to have something that I can say "I did that!". How long do you reckon such a project will take? I think the spraying and flatting will be the longest bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I decided I didnt find my bars comfortable any more (Ritchey Streem WCS) The ramp to the levers was too steep which meant I had to angle them upwards which in turn meant the tops weren't flat and it shortened the overhang in the drops. So I bought Pro PLT compact bars, the Ritchey bars were 44cm but I went back to 42cm with the Pro bars and I have to say I absolutely love them, they have a shorter reach and drop meaning I can cycle quite comfortably in the drops now for long periods whereas before I really only used them on descents, also when i riding on the corner of the tops, its only a short reach to the hoods/brakes. I also fitted my new Garmin 500.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well Mrs BB's bike

Old kids bike deemed for the skip, few bits a metal lying around the shed, some old tongue and groove planks, a crate , some black spray paint and c. €10 spent on some brackets and couplings in the hardware store and Coco now has a chariot :D

19607531411_a2db718f67_b.jpg

Ja&s*s they are cruel out your way. Who Super Glued the poor childs head to the bike................

Joking......... grand job there, my smallest dog can't walk too far these days. Should probably jimney up something for here too......

• Advertisement

So, it is not today, but it is something I am planning on doing. I have done some bits and pieces with my own bike, and friends and family. Cassettes and Free Wheel changes, replaced brakes (V-brakes and callipers, not just the pads), chain replacements, bottom bracket replacements, flats to drops conversions.

I bought a beater at the Garda Auction, €40, steel frame, Shimano odds and sods, a hybrid type thing. I am planning on stripping it of it's parts, cleaning/replacing them when needed, upgrading if I think it merits it, and stripping the paint. I am thinking about Olive Drab on the frame, flat white on the forks, clear coat to finish. A Brooks tan leather saddle, tan grips, black mudguards, and black pannier racks front and back.

I am not doing this for the love of the bike, but to have something that I can say "I did that!". How long do you reckon such a project will take? I think the spraying and flatting will be the longest bit.

If it were me doing it, probably ages or 20 years, whichever came sooner. As its you it should be somewhat quicker. Fair play to you. I love cycling them but view fixing them as a necessary evil....

I am happy enough to shake some of those coloured sprinkles over a pre packaged Cake and think "I did that". Fulfills my sense of achievement every time.... plus I get a slice of cake out of it.

BTW where are those auctions advertised. You are giving me bad ideas against my better judgement......

I decided I didnt find my bars comfortable any more (Ritchey Streem WCS) The ramp to the levers was too steep which meant I had to angle them upwards which in turn meant the tops weren't flat and it shortened the overhang in the drops. So I bought Pro PLT compact bars, the Ritchey bars were 44cm but I went back to 42cm with the Pro bars and I have to say I absolutely love them, they have a shorter reach and drop meaning I can cycle quite comfortably in the drops now for long periods whereas before I really only used them on descents, also when i riding on the corner of the tops, its only a short reach to the hoods/brakes. I also fitted my new Garmin 500.

2 years ago(2013 B.C. ... before cycling) what with "bars, drops, stems, 44 versus 42, overhang, etc. etc. etc. I would have thought you were some kind of nutter... Today with multiple bikes I know exactly where you are coming from.......

I inherited the lazy gene (fathers side) so unfortunately one of my bikes has a bar set up I don't like but because of my genetically predisposed illness I am unable to change the set up and continue to ride it as it is. Are you busy next Saturday by any chance ..........:D

I would say nice bike but these days I think anything with 2 wheels is a nice bike........enjoy the bike.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

BTW where are those auctions advertised. You are giving me bad ideas against my better judgement......

It is Wilson's Auctions. This month they are looking for a €500 refundable deposit which is BS, so give it a skip this month. I am learning as I am going, and it is great fun. The wee ones are coming into the house full of grease and oil, so Lady Wife is not to impressed, until I finished the Giant Avail I sorted for her. When you do go, go early. Check it all out, know what you are looking for and set your limit. If it goes over that, let it go and move on to the next one. Some people loose the run of themselves. There are some good machines there that do need work. But once it is done, there is the sense of satisfaction. I got the Avail for €60, and with some judicious EBay shopping for another €70, I could get €300 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

2 years ago(2013 B.C. ... before cycling) what with "bars, drops, stems, 44 versus 42, overhang, etc. etc. etc. I would have thought you were some kind of nutter... Today with multiple bikes I know exactly where you are coming from.......

I inherited the lazy gene (fathers side) so unfortunately one of my bikes has a bar set up I don't like but because of my genetically predisposed illness I am unable to change the set up and continue to ride it as it is. Are you busy next Saturday by any chance ..........:D

I would say nice bike but these days I think anything with 2 wheels is a nice bike........enjoy the bike.:)

I do, thoroughly although with this crap weather my 'winter' bike gets used considerably more than my 'good' bike.

I'm the opposite to you, once i receive new parts, I cant wait to fit them and feel the immediate improvement, which inherently there always is with new parts. It killed me having the Pro bars for one day and not being able to fit them as my new bar tape hadn't arrived, sad I know but hey ho thats me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Changed my bog standard pedals to SPD-SL. Cycled 7km to work and thankfully didn't fall. One dodgy stopping moment but I got my foot down in time. I found it a little tricky to clip back in when taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Total clean last night. Apart from usual cleaning routine I took cranks out, pedals, bb, cleaned bb bracket, put everything back together, changed the saddle, cleaned the seatpost and seat clamp, adjusted the chain catcher and headset. Removed the cassette and disassembled the hub to check out the freehub body in my zondas. Tightened the chainring bolts just to make sure. Took the bike for the spin this morning, runs smooth, chain catcher needs tiny bit adjustment. New saddle was surprisingly comfy. Most importantly the clicking noise is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

keep at it you will be a pro in no time, I was advised that treat it like driving, change down the gears & clipout as you near a red light or junction. as for clipping back in, I am still trying to master it!

It is Wilson's Auctions. This month they are looking for a €500 refundable deposit which is BS, so give it a skip this month. I am learning as I am going, and it is great fun. The wee ones are coming into the house full of grease and oil, so Lady Wife is not to impressed, until I finished the Giant Avail I sorted for her. When you do go, go early. Check it all out, know what you are looking for and set your limit. If it goes over that, let it go and move on to the next one. Some people loose the run of themselves. There are some good machines there that do need work. But once it is done, there is the sense of satisfaction. I got the Avail for €60, and with some judicious EBay shopping for another €70, I could get €300 for it.

Thanks, I'll check it out..........

I do, thoroughly although with this crap weather my 'winter' bike gets used considerably more than my 'good' bike.

I'm the opposite to you, once i receive new parts, I cant wait to fit them and feel the immediate improvement, which inherently there always is with new parts. It killed me having the Pro bars for one day and not being able to fit them as my new bar tape hadn't arrived, sad I know but hey ho thats me.

Nah, that's a good trait..... Perhaps I am just getting either lazier or busier as I get older. Never seem to get the time...... plus that gene defect of course.....:)

traprunner wrote: »
    Changed my bog standard pedals to SPD-SL. Cycled 7km to work and thankfully didn't fall. One dodgy stopping moment but I got my foot down in time. I found it a little tricky to clip back in when taking off.

You'll get the clipping in bit soon enough, it's the clipping out bit that will get you........think I fell over four times because I forgot to unclip before I stopped forgetting....... Best one was after climbing a mountain up to a car park, delighted with myself because I wasn't struggling up. A few people admiring the view as I pulled in and promptly fell over. All I could do was lie there laughing................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Another year - another LED light upgrade. The 'retro' halogen light on her bike had to go, daylight visibility and living in a less well-lit area demanded this 75lux upgrade before winter comes.

Anyone here tried to run front and back LEDs from a 2.4W dynamo? I've gotten used to the auto-on, stay-on functionality of these lights....

eOZfIa7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Anyone here tried to run front and back LEDs from a 2.4W dynamo? I've gotten used to the auto-on, stay-on functionality of these lights....
    Most modern dynamos are 6v/3W, with 2.4W to the front and 0.6W to the rear.

I have run front and back lights from such a dynamo, although in recent winters I didn't bother with the rear, instead relying on a battery flasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I got a new scales, so I weighed the caad today. with powertap wheel on open pro, conti ultra sport tyre, standard front wheel, bottle cage, shimano r540 pedals and garmin mount and carbon saddle it's coming in at 8.11 kg. With race wheels (38mm carbon tubs) it's down to about 7.21 kg. Standard is about 7.75 i think. I didnt weigh it standard.
    weighed the bmc. With shimano rs80 c24 wheels & r540 pedals it's coming in around 7.44 kg.
    Weighed the TT bike, and with 50mm tubs with disc cover its coming in at about 9.43 kg.
    Weighed a front wheel with tyre and tube, but no skewer and it was 1078g.
    Weighed the new scales on my kitchen scales and it comes in at 102 g.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

lennymc wrote: »
    I got a new scales...

Got a rear child seat for the workhorse to balance the front baby seat - was curious about the weight - 60lb / 27kg - still more than your three combined, so I think I win... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

lennymc wrote: »
    Weighed the new scales on my kitchen scales and it comes in at 102 g.

for feck sake lenny could you not have got a lighter scales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i weighed my surly and that came in at over 12kg.
    I then weighed myself and the scales said get off

I'm afraid to weigh my Pass Hunter...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I took apart my rear brake as it wasn't opening after I pulled it (made for great resistance training)

gave all the parts a good clean and lube and then put it back together with zero part left over :)

opening and closing like new. I'll be taking the mountain loop home today, i've avoided them while the brakes were dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Installed Racing Ralphs tubeless on the XT wheelset for Croix de Fer. 600g off rotating mass - should win me a place or two in the next CX race :)

10kg without pedals and accessories, not too bad for a steel disc bike, innit? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Installed Racing Ralphs tubeless on the XT wheelset for Croix de Fer. 600g off rotating mass - should win me a place or two in the next CX race :)

10kg without pedals and accessories, not too bad for a steel disc bike, innit? :D

What tubeless wheelset do you run again

Advertisement