Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Shimano WH-M785 wheels, SM-RT81 IceTech rotors, Bontrager TLR sealant, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 35mm.

Only managed to install them yesterday thanks to wheel01's Co2 cartridge delivery, non-tubeless tyres need some puff to pop into rims properly without a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

2D0lVku.jpg

Picked up a set of Vision Metron 55 carbon clinchers a couple of weeks ago and got around to installing them at the weekend. Had them delivered from bike24.de and am happy, thus far. The decals work well with the overall colour scheme, and are easily replaceable with a "stealth" version should the need arise :)

Next on the list: replace the bar tape (Lizardskin) this month as new season starts in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ted1 wrote: »
    I took apart my rear brake as it wasn't opening after I pulled it (made for great resistance training)

gave all the parts a good clean and lube and then put it back together with zero part left over :)

opening and closing like new. I'll be taking the mountain loop home today, i've avoided them while the brakes were dodgy.

Did you weigh it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Saddle angle dancrowley?

Installed 28mm GP4000S tubeless on the new wheelset, with Bontrager sealant.

Sidewalls did not want to seal properly, still I pumped them up in the morning and went to work va Phoenix park.

Rain and all, not the best circumstances to ride it hard... Bike felt very smooth though, and very responsive in acceleration.

After uploading the ride to Strava it turned out I've beaten most of my PRs on the way, despite the weather, no motivation, work luggage (lock, lunch, clothes etc.).

I'll wait to see if they are going to seal completely, if not the next tyres I'll get will be a dedicated tubeless model. They're great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    Shimano WH-M785 wheels, SM-RT81 IceTech rotors, Bontrager TLR sealant, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 35mm.

Only managed to install them yesterday thanks to wheel01's Co2 cartridge delivery, non-tubeless tyres need some puff to pop into rims properly without a tube.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

Here's an idea for getting air into tyre quickly.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Saddle angle dancrowley?

It's a few degrees; will check it with my iPhone this evening. It's an ISM Adamo Attack saddle, allowing me to enjoy a lot more time in the drops. The dudes who make it recommend playing with the angles until you find what works; around this point is what works for me.

Here's an idea for getting air into tyre quickly.

Tried this! Didn't work for me, air flow was too weak to seat the non-tubeless tyre, but then I was scared of pumping the bottle more than 70psi.

CO2 did the job perfectly - you just need to remember to seat the tyre without the sealant, as some say CO2 can deactivate it. Then you can lift a little bit of the bead, add the sealant with a syringe and finish with a floor pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

New wheels, new freewheel (singlespeed), new chain, new front tire(GP4000sII), new brakes.... ohhhhhhh boy. turns out the bearings in both my wheels were ****ed. The cycle yesterday evening was so unbelievably smooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Got a set of the new Ksyrium Elites on the TCR, managed to get the red ones to match the frame, next up groupo change either 105 or Ultegra not much difference between the two in the new 11s

[IMG][/img]20713767225_b27f14013c_c.jpgUntitled by Aaron Gilmartin, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]20527006229_b52acaea0c_z.jpgUntitled by Aaron Gilmartin, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]20527006389_53cacd2b04_z.jpgUntitled by Aaron Gilmartin, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Saddle angle dancrowley?
    dancrowley wrote: »
    It's a few degrees; will check it with my iPhone this evening. It's an ISM Adamo Attack saddle, allowing me to enjoy a lot more time in the drops. The dudes who make it recommend playing with the angles until you find what works; around this point is what works for me.

I checked out the angle and it was at around 5 degrees; it was set up that way as I was doing some interval sessions on aero bars on the turbo. I readjusted to go back on the road and its back at 2 degrees (as per my iPhone).

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Finally sorted the sporadic rattle from the discs on my Lapierre X-Control. Centred them dozens of times to no avail, torqued the rotors and the noise dissappeared. Could have saved myself two hours if I'd check that first. Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

On the subject of rattles, I had the fairly notorious shifter rattle on my Winter bike (tiagra 4600) and it was driving me nuts. I have read hundreds of threads on the subject yet none of them offered solutions and any that did, didn't cure my rattle. Yesterday I finally broke, I hated riding the bike because of it so started trying to figure out where the rattle coming from exactly. After a lot of hoking and pulling at bits I figured it out. Mine was being caused by the little black plastic covers which protect the spring/mechanics at the rear of the lever part of the shifters. I simply folded a few pieces of electrical tape and wedged them in between the plastic cover and the metal and hooked up the brake cables again and hey presto....rattles gone (both shifters) I went for a short spin on a poor surface road near me to road test them and not a peep out of them! I need to come up with a more permanent solution than wedged tape but it'll do the job for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did a lot of work today on a bike.

I swapped out my first crankset. :o

I'm slightly terrified the whole thing will come apart when I start to use it.

Removed Pie Plate, changed the rear cassette & RD, updated the Ui2, tweaked the brakes. I never knew that there was always a bit of "play" on a rear cassette!

Google tells me it's OK.

And finally found a use for some of the red/orange valve caps I've amassed.

I'm a slight tad colour blind though

They come close to matching the livery, I think.. It possible the pics don't do the red colour justice.

2n9xj0k.jpg

20sht0k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

New kmc chain for my hopefully soon to be winter/commuter road bike! Came with a missing link too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I have decided that, before I purchase an n+1 road bike, I should build out of the spares box and get an old Irish frame back on the road/hills. The custom DiZecca road bikes from Bray, CoWicklow have a black sheep in their family - an MTB DiZecca prototype frame that I bought, built, used and then hung on the wall pending a rebuild, which after 15 years is about time...

Today - I found out the spindle is too long for the new-old cranks so it had to go - it wasn't easy nor pretty in the bottom bracket, putting the new one back in this weekend may not be easy (too little thread depth...?)

keogknH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Like the last one, not all done in a day. Handlebars and A few new spokes had to be replaced but all the rest is cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Fitted a pair of Vittoria Cross XG Pro tyres on the CX bike. Damn things look like slicks compared to the Rocket Rons. Hopefully I won't be carrying half a tonne of mud on my wheels this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Left my hybrid in to LBS for a new chain. About 500m from the shop I got my third puncture in about 2 weeks. So I got a little annoyed and getting two Schwalbe Marathon tyres put on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

just replaced the BB on my old specialized alley comp , the original ultegra bb lasted 10 years . Was a little surprised to find they don't make them any more , was looking online at Dura ace unit as a replacement but was surprised to read a lot of negative comments regarding its lifespan to complicated adjustments etc . so went for a new 105 bb from chain reaction cycles 54 euro for next day delivery as opposed to 97 for Dura ace . Fits perfectly after a little issue with lining up the splines with the crank arms, but this was the only difficult bit , runs very well , happy out as no bike mechanic me , just find that i have more of a head for doing repairs these days it's good fun too{when it goes well!!}very limited choice for old octal ink bb though which is worrying !!suppose i'd have to buy new chain set next time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

As its really starting to feel like winter is coming, I finally replaced the factory tyres with Continental ultra sports II. Gave the bike a good clean, degrease and lube, and final threw on a bell - road legal now :)

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    As its really starting to feel like winter is coming, I finally replaced the factory tyres with Continental ultra sports II. Gave the bike a good clean, degrease and lube, and final threw on a bell - road legal now :)

Paddy

Are the Ultra Sports a winter tyre? I always thought they were summer/dry tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

PaddyFagan wrote: »

Paddy

I hope you have a reflector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Are the Ultra Sports a winter tyre? I always thought they were summer/dry tyres.

Not sure to be honest. Based on the reviews I felt they where a good winter choice for me - better grip in damp conditions than the factory jobs and good puncture resistance - very much a fair weather cyclist. :o

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Sore ankle so couldn't cycle. Instead did first real techy thing with bike, up to now only did cleaning and replacing brake blocks. Today stripped out , cleaned and re-greased headset bearings. Feeling like a genius , or at least like someone who can copy a GCN video.
    Encouraged by that am moving on to chain replacement next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rtmie wrote: »
    Encouraged by that am moving on to chain replacement next weekend!

Before replacing the chain, check it for wear. If it's too worn, you'll likely need a new cassette...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

cdaly_ wrote:
    Before replacing the chain, check it for wear. If it's too worn, you'll likely need a new cassette...

Checked with my newly purchased wear tool. It is in the needs replacement soon category rather than the worn category. Good point about the cassette though. I see some advice to always change chain and cassette together, but other advice saying it depends.
    Is there a visual clue wrt cassette wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

rtmie wrote: »
    Checked with my newly purchased wear tool. It is in the needs replacement soon category rather than the worn category. Good point about the cassette though. I see some advice to always change chain and cassette together, but other advice saying it depends.
    Is there a visual clue wrt cassette wear?

I'm on my 3rd chain and same cassette. Previous 2 chains replaced at about 2.5-3k km using the chain wear tool so changed at the .75 mark ... Don't see the point on the added expense of changing the cassette and no obvious signs of wear either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some beauties in here.

This is my modest scott, temporary wall hanger, it can't fall or move the way it is, I also used some wire to secure it while I was removing the wheels. It's going to be waxed tomorrow evening cos it has a hard winter of commuting ahead of it. I won't be sitting in the car to get to Sandyford every morning!

I am going to engineer a better wall hanger that is more secure and allows for rotating the pedals freely. I'll cracking the welder out soon

oRsFNa7h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I am going to engineer a better wall hanger that is more secure and allows for rotating the pedals freely. I'll cracking the welder out soon]

They're pretty reasonable to buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BDBikes-Mounted-Repair-Plates-Storage/dp/B005GA7SQS

Advertisement