Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

did you buy locally or internet?

I'd see can you send back which ever one of them you don't want and try to exchange that item for the correct one, so in this case an SPD-SL shoe or SPD pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been commuting across the city quite a lot recently and as a result the bike had become full of crud and other sh1te. I'm usually anal about keeping the drive train clean as a bare minimum but with all the commuting and kids stuff I find it difficult to get a chance to clean it somedays.

Anyway, I'd planned on a short spin today but when I looked at the bike I thought "I can't go out on that filthy steed" so I took my trusty Lidl work stand out of the shed, armed myself with degreaser, chain whip and lock removal tool, sprayed on the Muc Off and got stuck in. I spent just over two hours cleaning and scrubbing and missed the first ten minutes of the Rugby World Cup final but at least my ride is all set for a spin tomorrow.

IMG_2294.jpg

There's almost 5,000km on the chain so that's next up for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This level of cleanliness is simply obscene. !

:pac:

Alek wrote: »
    This level of cleanliness is simply obscene. !

:pac:

Naked - not dirty!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had 105 5700 10 speed on it and upgraded the rear derailleur to ultegra and changed all the other components to 105 5800

The X800 shifters pull more cable per-shift than the X700 ones so your shifting is going to be off if you use a 6700 rear mech with 5800 shifters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

TychoCaine wrote: »
    The X800 shifters pull more cable per-shift than the X700 ones so your shifting is going to be off if you use a 6700 rear mech with 5800 shifters.

Go back to the original post detailing the changes, and you'll see the poster had been running a 6800 derailleur with an x700 groupset, and has upgraded to 5800 now, so the issue you describe will not arise with that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Getting over a harsh bug that I picked up over the weekend, I finally felt a tad normal'ish this afternoon, with some energy, so I decided to do the main wintery bike. Which would be the main commuter too, if I was commuting :/

Those Crud MKIIs don't like 25mm Conti GP 4000s (let's face it, they are really 27mm and 23s are more 25mm!) I considered fitting 23mm ones but I had a set of new 25mm Vittoria Rubinos and they allowed the required clearance, just about! They are not the pro version, just the cheap standard ones.

You'd want the patience of a saint fitting those bleedin' mud guards! But I got there in the end!
    Swapped out the semi padded x1 saddle for a different Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio one I got cheap on ebay and changed the seat post to an older Canyon one that was more "in-line" with little set back. (Canyon sent it to me accidently once! :)

Added the newest Garmin out in front mount that has an attachment for the garmin virb as well.

I think that's enough work done on my AL9.0 aka The Beast Of Ballycullen for a while now, just got to add the various lights I'll be using!

22678062447_d44f0f8372_c.jpgAL9.0SIDERH (2) by David, on Flickr

22475023513_ba413e5e65_c.jpgAL9.0FRTWHL by David, on Flickr

23082589422_44482125eb_c.jpgAL9.0RRWHL by David, on Flickr

23107488341_267b794866_c.jpgAL9.0FRTQTR by David, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Put on new 25mm Contis and lightweight tubes. Greased the hubs, headset and BB. Cleaned and lubed the chain. Haven't been out for nearly 3 weeks now, the weekend can't come soon enough. I don't care if the weather is apocalyptic, I will be cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted an FSA SL-K setback seat post and Swisstop 'Green' pads to my Felt and cleaned it ready for its winter sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Winter is an Ugly thing
    20151119_151754.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

tumblr_m5huzi0GMW1ql17wq.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Put on an ISM Adamo Prologue saddle, felt a bit strange at first but really like it.

Put Vittoria open pave tyres on the Campagnolo Eurus wheels I bought on here, cue much swearing and two tubes fooked. So tight to get on!! Tried gp4000 ones and they were even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I found cracks in the welds in my frame where the seat post meets the top tube going all the way around to the rear stays.

Was just dropping it in to be serviced!

Bike mech rang the rep for the brand and I should be covered for a new fame.
    Current frame is 2013 so should be getting a new 2016 frame which would be nice.

No bike for a while though as unsafe to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Having been revitalising a few High Nellies where you cannot damage to much I finally got round to doing the Racer.
    New Bottom Bracket. Headset Bearings, Jockey Wheels, Cables and Bartape.
    Funny thing getting the tape right was prob the hardest and most time consuming:D
    New Saddle is next but which one.
    Do Love the Brooks on the H. Nelly so leaning that way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I found cracks in the welds in my frame where the seat post meets the top tube going all the way around to the rear stays.

Was just dropping it in to be serviced!

Bike mech rang the rep for the brand and I should be covered for a new fame.
    Current frame is 2013 so should be getting a new 2016 frame which would be nice.

No bike for a while though as unsafe to cycle

What make/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What make/model?

Giant Defy 2

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Giant Defy 2

This exact thing has happened to me this week on my 2011 Defy 4 frame. Hoping to get it warrantied as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil Jones

I removed the cassette and chain rings and put them through the dishwasher(twice - forgot the tablet first time!)

Also, fitted a new chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Phil Jones wrote: »
    I removed the cassette and chain rings and put them through the dishwasher(twice - forgot the tablet first time!)

Also, fitted a new chain.

You do realise hot soapy water and degrease does the same thing without risking the wrath of a partner.

Kudos for having the plums to put them in the dishwasher though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I brought my new Raleigh Renvino 1 which I got last week from CRC down to Aidan Hammond for a fitting. It was a profitable 90 minutes.
    Now I just need the weather to improve so I can get out on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Put my SKS mudguards from the recent Cycleways BA onto my commutter/tourer Steel bike. My last ones snapped off and left me with a soggy back in the middle of last week.

I brought my new Raleigh Renvino 1 which I got last week from CRC down to Aidan Hammond for a fitting. It was a profitable 90 minutes.
    Now I just need the weather to improve so I can get out on it :)

I'd a fitting from Aidan in July. A sound bloke who really knows his stuff. Only small changes were made but the comfort difference is noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd a fitting from Aidan in July. A sound bloke who really knows his stuff. Only small changes were made but the comfort difference is noticeable.

He made some adjustments to the bike and my cleats and I got a new stem.
    I had bought the right size bike which was a relief.
    Nice bike for £282. Gone back up to near £500 now :)

Wonder when the rain will stop? Must ask in the weather forum !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Put a new bell, stem, handlebars and bar tape onto my her CdF.

Bars are the VO Rando bars - A little bit odd to look at, but incredibly comfy, with lots of control. Someplace between touring bars and dirt drops.

22873805874_d357058cf0.jpg

23134144799_f0f2044d72.jpg

Now pretttty much complete as a road/gravel bike apart from throwing a Carradice saddlebag on the back.

I spent yesterday and today giving the bike it's annual overhaul.

I removed the brake callipers and gave them a clean and a lube. It's amazing the amount of sh1te that gathers at the top of the fork. The calliper mounting was seized and it took a bit of WD40 and some gentle persuasion to remove the bolt.

I dismantled the rear derailleur and cleaned the guide and tension pulleys and lubed them. I removed the cassette and cleaned it.

I fitted a new set of Jagwire cables (brake and gear). Excellent quality and cheaper than Shimano cables. A Dura Ace HG900 chain was fitted. I thought I'd ordered a 9000 chain which is symmetrical but I obviously made a mistake. When I fitted the chain and went to check the gear indexing, I found that the chain was skipping off the tension roller - it turned out that I'd fitted the roller the wrong way round.

I also fitted a new pair of Dura Ace pedals.

Finally I fitted new bar tape. I bought Bontrager tape in my LBS last week. It's rubbish form a fitting perspective. I'm going to bin it and buy the Giant tape that I've used for years - it fits well and I find it comfortable on the hands.

Now all I need to do is go for a spin. Hopefully nothing will fall off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Like crosstownk above, this is the time of the year for overhauls and my Trek FX 7.3 was selected for attention today.

The work took most of the day and involved:
    • Replace pedals with Wellgo V8 Copy Flat Pedals
    • Cassette dismantle and clean
    • Clean chain
    • Major clean of remainder of drivetrain & bike
    • Replace both wheels with Shimano 501s - after swapping tyres, tubes and cassette
    • Install chain
    • Replace brake pads front and rear with Clarks V-Brake Pads

What went wrong?
    • It rained when I was all setup outdoors - had to shift everything inside
    • Rim tape on one wheel not aligned with valve hole - had to rotate it before installing tube
    • I routed the chain incorrectly in the rear derailleur. The chain had to be broken again and re-routed correctly - not a big deal when you use Sram Powerlinks.
    • I refitted the original "pie plate" in the new wheels but there wasn't enough clearance meaning the freewheel wouldn't work. The cassette had to come off again and the plate removed before the freewheel operation was restored. (The 501 freewheel is very quiet)
    • New wheel spokes hitting derailleur in low gear - adjusted limit screw
    • Gears required some adjustment after new wheels fitted. This didn't go so well and I then discovered the reason - the rear gear cable was badly frayed inside the mechanism in the brake lever. This messed up the ratchet and meant not all gears were selectable. Assuming Halfords have the correct Jagwire replacement, that will have to wait until tomorrow.

So, just a few more hours minutes (;)) to install the new cable, lube the chain and install new reflectors on the wheels. I wonder what I would have to charge per hour if I was trying to make a living from this :eek:

P.S. Last year's overhaul award went to my Felt Z6. The creak I attempted to fix then (read all about it here) is still there ...

route66 wrote: »
    Like crosstownk above, this is the time of the year for overhauls and my Trek FX 7.3 was selected for attention today.

Replace brake pads front and rear with Clarks V-Brake Pads

The one thing I forgot about was my brake pads. I noticed as I headed out for today's spin that my rear pads look worn - they'll do for a few more spins and thankfully I've a set of Swissstop Green's ready to go.

I find it a good time of year to get some serious cleaning & servicing done.

I've been out for 3 spins (almost 150km) since and the bike is now filthy again. There is so much water out on the roads.

Soon it'll be time to replace the tyres.

One of these days I'll add up what I've spent on the bike since starting back just over 2 years ago but I won't be divulging the amount to Mrs. crosstownk. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

A new day and some work to finish ...
    I got cable inners earlier in Cycle Surgery in Dundrum. The guy there had some "left over" reflectors and threw them in. Nice shop, great service!
    The cable inners went in very easily and after some adjustments, the job was done. Tidying up was another story. I left everything as was last night - including an inverted toolbox - and it took about an hour to put everything back where it belonged :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Putting a load of electric tape on me saddle on my all weather commuter. Got a spill earlier. A cheap solution until summer/spring, when I upgrade to some nicer bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Spent this morning giving the Giant Defy a going over before the Birr 200 audax next Sunday. Full wash, chain and cassette degreased and relubed, headset bearings cleaned and regreased and then cleaned the BB. Left bearing was gone so new BB ordered and will refit during the week.

Advertisement