Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Club ride was cancelled so cleaned disc rotors, sanded brake pads and bled brakes - an annoying job but well worth doing for anyone on disc brakes, makes a huge and immediate difference to braking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Final leg of stripping this frame

Removing the cup and cone bottom bracket. Buy an expensive park tool pin wrench?

Nah, just make my own
    503199.jpg

Like a glove
    503200.jpg

Frame stripped and ready for powder coating
    503201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Put on new wheels :):)
    Apologies for the poor photo, need a new phone too :D
    OTpLUwy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

New cassette and chain today, followed by a good clean. Have been very negligent lately in bike maintenance, mainly cause the weekends have been manky and the evening to dark after a long commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

New set of peddles on the winter bike today after a mid spin failure and a one legged 15km spin to CSS for a quick changeover followed by a continuation of the spin.

• Advertisement

Today I was going to clean my discs and pads, they're squealing something awful since the last cycle.

However, eldest fella (11 years old) had a puncture, so I taught him how to patch a tube. Took about 4 times longer than doing it myself, but infinitely more pleasurable having him working away beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

cletus wrote: »

However, eldest fella (11 years old) had a puncture, so I taught him how to patch a tube. Took about 4 times longer than doing it myself, but infinitely more pleasurable having him working away beside me

Its amazing the amount of people that cycle who can't do this. My dad taught me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I took the bike out of the boot of my car, where it’s been since Thursday, washed it and put it in the shed. It’ll be going back in the car tomorrow

So today I DID clean discs and pads. Also took the opportunity to make sure the calipers were aligned correctly.

Nice solid braking now, with no squealing

So, with the muddy fox frame away being powder coated (God knows when I'll get it back), I decided to go back to the Claude Butler I started stripping last year.

Today's job was rebuild the freewheel and reinstall the wheel bearings

506377.jpg

Cleaned the races

506379.jpg

Then I shined up my balls

506378.jpg

Degreased the rest of the freewheel components

506380.jpg

• Advertisement

Bottom row of ball bearings in...

506383.jpg

...and the top row

506384.jpg

Finally a sealed unit again

506385.jpg

Drive side bearings in place

506386.jpg

Freewheel and cassette (cartridge??) back in situ

506387.jpg

Non drive side bearings tomorrow, because now it's time for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I finally removed my finger from my... well you know and did some work on the Look. Chain and cassette fit, derailleurs refit, brake calipers reinstalled and pedals back in place. Shed tidied also...

Just need to put the cables back in the brake calipers, they're ran already and tighten up the stem/headset.

Might even get out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carklone

This week I got a new bottom bracket . . .

On the commute home, pushed off at a set of lights, non drive side pedal spun forward with little effort. Leaving both pedals hanging down.

LBS quickly diagnosed the problem, bottom bracket cut in 2 by the internally routed front derailleur cable.

A few months previously I had upgraded the brake levers & replaced cables. The bike shop, who have closed in the meantime, had routed the cables incorrectly causing them to rub the BB.

This from a 'Shimano Service Centre'

Anyway thought it worth sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Jeez - that's both impressive and shocking.

I spent yesterday pottering and changing #1 child's bike from 1x9 with rim brakes to 1x10 and disc brakes. Took way longer than it should have as a bolt holding a lock on grip on, rounded on me. Stanley blade in a bit of duct tape saved the day.

It's all old bits I had in the shed but there is xtr, XM819 and chris king on there... curse those ever changing bike standards.

Also spent an hour cleaning up the old bits to give away (whenever the social distancing drops...).

Carklone wrote: »
    This week I got a new bottom bracket . . .

On the commute home, pushed off at a set of lights, non drive side pedal spun forward with little effort. Leaving both pedals hanging down.

LBS quickly diagnosed the problem, bottom bracket cut in 2 by the internally routed front derailleur cable.

A few months previously I had upgraded the brake levers & replaced cables. The bike shop, who have closed in the meantime, had routed the cables incorrectly causing them to rub the BB.

This from a 'Shimano Service Centre'

Anyway thought it worth sharing

Jaysis, what brand of cable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not a warm day to be washing bikes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finally changed the bottom bracket on my old trek. Long time coming

Not a warm day to be washing bikes.

Good waxing weather though

cletus wrote: »
    Before I throw the bike up on the rack, any ideas as to why my front mechanical disc brake would squeal when steering left, but not when steering right.

This is all at very low speed

So, finally threw the bike into the stand. Ive been putting off doing it because I'm trying to spread out the jobs to use up this Corona time.

I was pretty sure it was brake rub, but I convinced myself that I should have a look at the headset "just in case" (but really just to drag out the job :D)

Headset was fine, so had a look at the pads and caliper. I had cleaned the pads and disc about a month ago, but you know what they say "Never trust the work that went before you, even if it's your own"

So I went through the whole alignement process again, and I still had the barest hum at low speed. Piece of paper and a torch so I could backlight the pad gap, and the top of the inner pad was just barely contacting the disc. Tapped the top of the caliper inwards ever so gently with a rubber headed persuader, and low and behold, parallel gaps between both pads and the face of the disc

Two quick spins around the green outside, and no sound.

Happy days, but now I have to look for some other job...

Stripped the rear derailleur on one of the bikes I'm messing around with, cleaned it up, and put it back together

510851.jpg

510852.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

saccades wrote: »
    Jeez - that's both impressive and shocking.

I spent yesterday pottering and changing #1 child's bike from 1x9 with rim brakes to 1x10 and disc brakes. Took way longer than it should have as a bolt holding a lock on grip on, rounded on me. Stanley blade in a bit of duct tape saved the day.

It's all old bits I had in the shed but there is xtr, XM819 and chris king on there... curse those ever changing bike standards.

Also spent an hour cleaning up the old bits to give away (whenever the social distancing drops...).

IMG-20200417-165650774.jpg

#1 child loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted a new Prologo Dimension Nack to my good bike. I had the Tirox version on it but decided to splurge on the top model for it. Took all of 3 minutes to fit.

Fitted new tyres and latex tubes on my winter bike which I’m using full time now during restrictions as I’m sticking to rural back roads which are poor enough in places and so fitted 28mm tyres and latex tubes to soften the ride on the poor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I stripped and rebuilt a Shimano GR500 pedal that had developed a wobble when I was out earlier. Tiny 1mm bearings are no fun when they roll off the table onto the floor.

TychoCaine wrote: »
    I stripped and rebuilt a Shimano GR500 pedal that had developed a wobble when I was out earlier. Tiny 1mm bearings are no fun when they roll off the table onto the floor.

Cheap tray with a magnet glued to the bottom is good for working on small parts like this

After today’s spin I noticed some noise from the headset whilst I’m out of the saddle.
    Stripped the front end down and cleaned the bearing race outers and the inside of the head tube. Greased and refitted and sounds ok now. Front brake was also creaking a bit, but a squirt of wd40 sorted that.
    Then gave the whole thing a good clean as it was surprisingly dirty even with the better weather lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fitted out Rudy for some adventures post lock down :D

Bar tape didn't survive the winter gloves but I've new bar tape waiting for new flared bars.:D I have some panaracer tan walls on the way also.

49855374518_d170340029_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

image link is dead - i think google ones have a time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Mad Max Mode - love it iwillhtfu

So today a bunch of stuff arrived from Germany. I made a mistake when ordering though. I thought I had ordered shifter cable kits, but what I actually ordered was shifter cable. So I'll have to order the housing this week. Pain in the ass, as I was hoping to have everything together this week to start assembly.

Regardless, I started adding bits back onto the bike today.

The stem was originally up, so I flipped it when putting it back on. No idea how it will feel or ride, but it looks much better.

I I only got this far, then life got in the way again

511884.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So I picked up this one this morning, I wasn't really looking for something but came across it on adverts.

I haven't had a chance to take a good look over it but everything appears to be moving working, tyres are shot and wheels are poor. The frame is a bit scaby in spots mainly the fork which I'll probably strip back and powder coat.

I don't know if it is a BSA and I have my doubts judging by how clean the decal is but we shall find out.

49863698981_a502961f6b_c.jpg

49863165038_03d68f0c5a_c.jpg

A date under the saddle looks to be June 90 but I'd have thought older myself. edit - in hindsight I guess 90 is 30 years ago :eek:

49863699011_90a21beb5a_c.jpg

49864007402_15473091c6_c.jpg

Advertisement