Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Fitted a new Prologo Dimension Nack to my good bike. I had the Tirox version on it but decided to splurge on the top model for it. Took all of 3 minutes to fit.

Fitted new tyres and latex tubes on my winter bike which I’m using full time now during restrictions as I’m sticking to rural back roads which are poor enough in places and so fitted 28mm tyres and latex tubes to soften the ride on the poor roads.

Hi, would you please post a pic as I'm in the market for a new saddle and that was one that came up. I'm looking for a flat short fit saddle with a cutout. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

There's always one...

511941.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Finally got the Record 12 speed on the BMC. Bugger to index, but it's a learning curve! 1st spin down the road and it's a revelation!

Just needs a clean and tidy up, then all ready for my 5k.

KRT7HtG.jpg

^ Belongs in the images of beauty thread!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

^ Belongs in the images of beauty thread!!!!!

Beautiful everything but that rear mech is shocking altogether. :o

I wont mention the bar tape :D

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Beautiful everything but that rear mech is shocking altogether. :o

I wont mention the bar tape :D

Good grief, there's always one! What bar tape am I allowed to put on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Trekker09 wrote: »

I like the bar tape. Adds colour subtly. But then again I would say that as I have the Celeste version to put on Bianchi build for the summer

Trekker09 wrote: »

Ah I was only having a laugh I actually like the bar tape and the bar ends. I'm poking fun at the taped end and the gaps at the hoods but sure I guess I'm just that one :rolleyes:

Nice bike enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Lovely bike Trekker / everything works well together - but have to agree that the bar tape is badly fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hi, would you please post a pic as I'm in the market for a new saddle and that was one that came up. I'm looking for a flat short fit saddle with a cutout. Thanks!

These are pictures of both the nack and tirox versions I have. The nack version is the anthracite/black model and came new on some of the high end SuperSix models. I haven’t been able to find it for sale anywhere else in nack version. The hard black Tirox version (which is a grey/silver colour) is the common one that’s sold everywhere. They’re a really nice saddle, I have them on my three road bikes and was even considering getting another one for my mountain bike but I like the saddle on it so possibly will leave it on.

• Advertisement

letape wrote: »
    Lovely bike Trekker / everything works well together - but have to agree that the bar tape is badly fitted!

I've had to take it off several times as the RH shifter is playing up! It'a a pain in the arse and now I'll have to take it off again as the RH hood is torn under the shifter so have ordered new one.

Fully prepared for this to be an absolute nightmare to remove

49879521268_cd707a7310_c.jpg

It slid out like a hot knife through butter thanks to some genius plying it with grease.:D Shame I couldn't say the same for every other bolt in particularly a fecker of a mudguard bolt.

49880359017_803308d8f0_c.jpg

Fitted the front derailleur to my '06 Claud Butler. Dialled in the shifting and braking. All that's left now is take it out for a spin

Ever since I saw https://ambikeco.com/ create this thing of beauty I've always wanted to do a raw steel finish on a bike.

37084625_2216271368596727_8507519125982019584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=TYYg4DQ7pKUAX_6aoLz&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=66887f0fe72b89852c80acafb078a107&oe=5EE4A4E0

I had a spare bent fork so I thought I'd see what damage I could do with a flap wheel. Easy on the well easy bits but I'd imagine the more awkward corners and angles would be very difficult.

49895610282_be115c2245_c.jpg

49894788408_14d2118a6f_c.jpg

I slipped off the end of the fork onto the drop outs and the centre lock nut hit the fork :eek:

49894788348_783f855519_c.jpg

Interesting. So what's the plan after the flap discs. Work up through the grits and then clear coat?

It might be easier to get the frame sand blasted or chemically stripped, and then do the hand sanding

cletus wrote: »
    Interesting. So what's the plan after the flap discs. Work up through the grits and then clear coat?

It might be easier to get the frame sand blasted or chemically stripped, and then do the hand sanding

Yeah I'll just run a 120 grit over it to smooth. I used a 40 grit on this test and it was a bit to rough I'll probably go 80 - 120 next time.

I usually get my frames blasted but with everything being shut for the foreseeable I said I'd try it by hand. I'm having second thoughts already.

I need to find a good rattle can clear coat because any frame I've painted previously usually ends up with rust spots.

Yeah I'll just run a 120 grit over it to smooth. I used a 40 grit on this test and it was a bit to rough I'll probably go 80 - 120 next time.

I usually get my frames blasted but with everything being shut for the foreseeable I said I'd try it by hand. I'm having second thoughts already.

I need to find a good rattle can clear coat because any frame I've painted previously usually ends up with rust spots.

I envision much hand sanding in your future :D

I envision much hand sanding in your future :D

It may end up just having the distressed look ;)

Following on from my previous test I decided to see what damage I could do in a couple of hours with this bad boy :D I was pleasantly surprised with the result, I much prefer seeing the patina on the frame it gives it some character, the flapper disc gives to polished a finish but nice also.

49901617057_3ce1f0f74d_c.jpg

It has a bit of a panzer look at the moment but hoping some wire wool will blend it a bit better and help me get into the tight angles.

49901614672_de8cf4e2cd_c.jpg

When you come across some of the bronze brazing its like hitting a vein of gold. :eek:

49900788758_24507cb7f8_c.jpg

and the little details you wouldn't typically see

49900788673_f7b6815c99_c.jpg

Also simple DIY headset cup removal tool incase anyone is looking to buy one. Cost was only time about 2 mins. :D

49900788658_1041799264_c.jpg

When I get to the point of sealing the frame I'm thorn as I don't really want a lacquer finish but also don't want to have to strip the frame again. I've read mixed reviews on boiled linseed oil so I might try it.

Thin coats on warn steel seems to be the way to do linseed on metal. Might not be practical to heat up the frame, though. It can dry to a slightly yellow finish, and it's more likely to break down in sunlight, I think.

Interesting project, keep the pictures coming

• Advertisement

Thin coats on warn steel seems to be the way to do linseed on metal. Might not be practical to heat up the frame, though. It can dry to a slightly yellow finish, and it's more likely to break down in sunlight, I think.

Interesting project, keep the pictures coming

I'm not to concerned with it breaking down in sunlight as it will only be a bar bike so its trip will be short and sweet. I'm more concerned with the oil not drying and leaving a tacky surface which would be crap. I could heat the tubes with a heat gun if needs be.

I guess as the whole thing is a bit of an experiment I could always remove if it goes pear shaped, I might drop into the local body shop and ask them what it would cost to clear a bike frame just incase.

Stepped away from the raw project today to spend a bit of time on another bitsa bike, incase you haven't figured it out yet I have a lot of random frames and components and a grá for single the simplicity of single speeds at the minute. Oh and I've since discovered you can get a 2k matte clear so I'll likely go for that instead of the boiled linseed :p although I am interested in how that would look. :rolleyes:

I had been putting this off for a while as trying to scavenge usable parts, after trawling through a ridiculous amount of wheels I finally found compatible parts. Now to swap over the bolt axles to QR thankfully they're only cheap wheels so should it have went arse about face no huge loss.

49905091357_d404ac00ab_n.jpg49904793046_fb149757e7_n.jpg

Found a nice shiny crankset though as I rumaged :cool: Do you think I can get the shagging pedals off though, amzing the way one job always becomes several to get back to your original plan. :rolleyes:

49904793086_3603d62d38_n.jpg

Well that was a battle :eek:

49924043306_f470367ca6_n.jpg

I won though :D

49924043241_0ca0ca0d1b.jpg

Those cranks are lovely!!!!!!

Those cranks are lovely!!!!!!

They cleaned up nice considering they were lost in a box for years. I recall upgrading a mates bike to 11 speed and he had no interest in keeping the old bits. I'll do a proper job on them one day and they'll be sparkling :D

I've shimano 600 crank arms on their way to me in a very sad state but they look well when cleaned up.

Nothing too serious. Both my boys bikes had issues shifting, so dialled in their rear derailleurs. I was having a touch of chain rub on the big ring on the front derailleur, so freaked that a little.

While I had the bikes in the stand, I said I'd clean the chain and gears on each of them. I had wet lube on my bike over the winter, so I figured I'd do a good clean and get some dry lube on. That wet lube is a pain in the hole to clean off fully

Threw on some bar tape a brake and brought "Barney" for a spin :D

barney.jpg

49926876108_1eef86c1d8_w.jpg49927698367_732874dbce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

49927698367_732874dbce.jpg
    What frame is that? Are those custom built wheels with hope hubs?
    One hell of a gorgeous commuter, image of beauty definetly.

Tony04 wrote: »
    What frame is that? Are those custom built wheels with hope hubs?
    One hell of a gorgeous commuter, image of beauty definetly.

An old planet x tri frame I used to race a life time ago, a stealth I think. Wheels are only cheap ebay wheels and weigh a ridiculous amount, a tad lighter since I converted to qr. I did consider custom as I have a set of 40mm carbon rims but I'm spending far to much on bike part since this lock down began.

It was just something I knocked up as I was waiting for other parts to arrive for the raw frame. It truly is a mutt so would be lambasted in the images of beauty thread but a bit of fun all the same.

• Advertisement

The green bartape while hideous in it's own right actually works super well there, Barney it is so, although eeeee might have other ideas for a name.

Advertisement