Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The green bartape while hideous in it's own right actually works super well there, Barney it is so, although eeeee might have other ideas for a name.

It is rough alright and I had an equally bad yellow :eek: I don't know if anyone else does it but when I'm ordering online I usually go into the clearance section and pick up the most random things. The upside is the bar tape was €2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else does it but when I'm ordering online I usually go into the clearance section and pick up the most random things. The upside is the bar tape was €2.99

And that's why I have 4 sets of new bar grips on the way from Planet X.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

who knew. a 10 speed quicklink works on an 11 speed chain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not surprised, but I doubt you’ll get an 11 speed link to work on a 10 speed chain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Not surprised, but I doubt you’ll get an 11 speed link to work on a 10 speed chain

the plates on the 10 speed are 40 thou wider than the chains 11 speed links, did 50 km with 900m of climbing yesterday didnt hear anything from the gears

• Advertisement

That sounds like a challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I bought a set of 180 cranks on ebay a few weeks back. I have very long legs / inseam and I had read a few things saying longer cranks for longer legs and that bikes only came with 175 as it doesn't suit the bike industry to cater for outliers in sizing and fit.

Today I took them off and put back on the old 175s. Didn't get on with 180 at all , cadence was off plus my knee came up higher on them on the up stroke and i had knee pain off the bike after using them. I might have adjusted to them but anything that gives me knee pain at this stage is going to be avoided.

Put a new set of GP5000s on the good bike. I have a chain and cassette to fit, but waiting for my new chainrings to do it all in one hit.
    Had a look at the front mech shifting on the winter bike as it’s awful, but one of the limit screws is fully in and too tight to move without damaging the screw head. I’ve soaked it in WD40 so I’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I bought a set of 180 cranks on ebay a few weeks back. I have very long legs / inseam and I had read a few things saying longer cranks for longer legs and that bikes only came with 175 as it doesn't suit the bike industry to cater for outliers in sizing and fit.

Today I took them off and put back on the old 175s. Didn't get on with 180 at all , cadence was off plus my knee came up higher on them on the up stroke and i had knee pain off the bike after using them. I might have adjusted to them but anything that gives me knee pain at this stage is going to be avoided.

Did you notice any difference on climbs?

New chainrings arrived, so fitted them, new cassette and chain. Freewheel hub will be next as it’s not the best. Heading out soon, happy days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Found this out one day a couple of years ago. I keep a spare 10sp and 11sp quicklink in the saddle bag as I've found some 11sp quicklinks can be a bugger to install whereas 10sp are a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Today, I collected this...

514618.jpg

Hopefully start the rebuild today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the muddy fox frame?

that's the muddy fox frame?

Yep. This is what it looked like before, in case anyone has a passing interest
    cletus wrote: »
    497364.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Love it. Is it sprayed or powder coated?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you keep the fork?

@lolipopjimmy: it's powder coated

@magicbastarder: yeah, fork was done as well. I'm sure you'll see it in future build photos :D

Just arrived in the post this morning. The eldest fella picked out the colour. I was sceptical...

514624.jpg

Turned out ok though

514625.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Lads....any advice what size chain to get ? Looking to replace mine within a month....was wondering is there any trick to check size or you just match the length ?

Lads....any advice what size chain to get ? Looking to replace mine within a month....was wondering is there any trick to check size or you just match the length ?

How many gears does your bike have?

• Advertisement

Right, I won't spam the thread with photos of this build, but I just put on the decals, and I'm pretty excited

514652.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

^^^ A good friend of my older brother had a courier back in the day. It was a lovely bike then. Interested to know what parts you are putting on it - original or higher spec.

letape wrote: »
    ^^^ A good friend of my older brother had a courier back in the day. It was a lovely bike then. Interested to know what parts you are putting on it - original or higher spec.

So, obviously the frame is original. It's been sandblasted and powder coated. New decals, as you can see above.

Original quill stem, but I'll need the a new handlebar. I'd like a short straight chrome bar, similar to what you might see on a fixie or single speed.

Original seat post, but will need a new saddle. Will be looking for advice and suggestions when the time comes.

Saccades has, very generously, offered me a set of wheels, as well as cranks and derailleurs, although our locations are not close enough to collect yet.

The wheels are alexrims G3000 with a Shimano deore hub (from what I can tell from the pictures), 9 speed, so a step up from what would have been on it. That will mean new shifters, as the bike was originally 5 speed. I am toying with the idea of making it a single speed, though.

I'll keep the original brake levers and brakes, they need to be cleaned up, but I've a polishing kit for my bench grinder coming, so we'll give that a whirl.

Basically, anything that's original that can go back on the bike (headset bearings etc.) will be cleaned up an put back on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Lovely job, new decals look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Right, I won't spam the thread with photos of this build, but I just put on the decals, and I'm pretty excited

514652.jpeg

Fresh. Where did you get it powder coated? How much?

Just arrived in the post this morning. The eldest fella picked out the colour. I was sceptical...

That colour is very nice :)

Tony04 wrote: »
    Fresh. Where did you get it powder coated? How much?

Guy in Athy. €50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

How many gears does your bike have?

3*8 shimano

3*8 shimano

Then you'll need an 8 speed chain, although I'm pretty sure a 6 or 7 speed chain will also work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Guy in Athy. €50

That all in? Sandblast and powder? I've a steel frame i think I'd like something done to, but unsure if route to go

Advertisement