Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cletus wrote: »
    I saw that too, but I still went for the 6" because bigger :D

Seems appropriate at the moment :D

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rear wheel was beyond economical repair when I called into my LBS earlier so got a set of shiny (well Matt) new wheels. Vision team 35’s. Just done swapping over the tyres and cassette and indexed the gears. Happy out ðŸ˜႒

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Spent the day wondering if I've installed my headset cups the wrong way round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Spent the day wondering if I've installed my headset cups the wrong way round

I always figure the deeper of the two goes on the bottom, but if they're the same size, you're golden

It is the deeper of the two, I just like to convince myself something is wrong.

I also spotted, and should have spotted earlier that I sheared the bolt head off the top of my high limit screw on ym Sram Red derailleur. So I can't adjust it. I figure it happened when I took a spill in Jan and then left the bike aside.

• Advertisement

So, getting down to the tedious stuff now. Broke down the front brake lever and calipers, cleaned and polished all the parts and popped them back on the bike.

I'll do the back brakes tomorrow, as well as picking up some cable and housing.

The anodising on the body of the brake lever is badly scratched, and I'm not sure whether to leave it, or sand it back flat and paint it (anodising being beyond my skill set)

515383.jpg

515384.jpg

Setting up the cockpit, front brakes will be done as soon as I get a hanger

515577.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

515384.jpg
    are the cantilevers on the correct side there?
    if you look at the left one (i.e. the one on the right in the photo), is that not meant to go on the other side of the fork?

are the cantilevers on the correct side there?
    if you look at the left one (i.e. the one on the right in the photo), is that not meant to go on the other side of the fork?

Well spotted. They aren't :D

Correct, I noticed that after I took the original picture. I can assure you they have since been swapped :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Correct, I noticed that after I took the original picture. I can assure you they have since been swapped :D

You just threw them on for the pic right? :D

You just threw them on for the pic right? :D

Something like that. I had just reassembled after polishing each of the pieces, and I didn't even look to see which one should go where. I was walking back last it later on and I realised. Then I realised I'd taken a picture and posted it on the internet :)

So, I'd love some saddle suggestions or recommendations. Cheap and cheerful is the order of the day

515700.jpg

If you want something cheap and comfortable hard to be the charge spoon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J3PGJGC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A32CWL50OXRGYH&th=1&psc=1

49985136826_34c276f186_w.jpg

I'd probably put this one on it myself :D It would also match those grips you posted recently ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WRRDZV4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A32CWL50OXRGYH&th=1&psc=1

49985390607_66ff5d613b_w.jpg

Ha, right colour, wrong bike :D

Given the yellow motif, I was contemplating a yellow saddle, but that might be a bit much. I'll have a look at the black saddle you linked

Ha, right colour, wrong bike :D

Given the yellow motif, I was contemplating a yellow saddle, but that might be a bit much. I'll have a look at the black saddle you linked

The blue saddle has yellow bits and you know where to order matching grips :D

You can get a charge spoon cheaper than that from a non Amazon retailer.

Always worth not spending money there if you can

Merlin have had them under 20 in the past

Weepsie wrote: »
    You can get a charge spoon cheaper than that from a non Amazon retailer.

Always worth not spending money there if you can

Merlin have had them under 20 in the past

You wont get those cool colours though and beside Jeff Bezos ain't that bad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If you really want to go cheap you could get this from ali express.

I've had few issues with delivery from China in the last few months, so I'm steering clear for the foreseeable.

I'm looking for black, and plain as possible, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a white saddle that would match the colour of the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I've a 90's planetX saddle that's pretty much black with delicate gold flames on it I can stick in the pile with the rest if you want?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saddle-Planet-Uranus-Flame-Gray/dp/B000AOA1IM

With the reduced lock down we might even get the deal sorted too ;)

i have a white saddle that would match the colour of the frame.
    balls. i just realised it was on a bike i sold a few months ago, was going to offer it to you gratis.

Thanks very much for both the suggestions and the offers folks. I definitely want black, and I'm pretty sure I want plain, but am contemplating this saddle from Funked Up, considering the handlebars cane from the same shop.

saddle_1_black_2.jpg

Otherwise I'll go with the charge spoon

So, showed the funked up saddle to my boys, and the decision was made

So, first of all, I'd like to say a MASSIVE thanks to Saccades, who made the hugely generous donation of wheels, derailleurs and crankset to my ongoing build.

Front wheel is test fitted, and it's perfect

516042.jpg

Slight issue with the rear wheel, I presume because initially the bike was a 5 or 6 speed, and the new wheel has a 9 speed hub.
    Instead of going to the stupid questions thread, any suggestions on what I can do, other than cold setting the frame. If it helps, I'm thinking of converting to single speed anyway.

516043.jpg

The hub has a different o.l.d to the frame. The hub is a deore hub so it probably uses the qr mtb o.l.d standard of 9x135 where as qr road wheels have an o.l.d of 9x130. I dont know much about old standards so cant help you there but would presume and if the hub doesnt fit in dropout by 5mm that you need a 130mm qr wheel.

You could widen the dropouts by 2.5mm each but I personally would try and find another wheelset.

The dropouts are 125mm, so I really don't want to try cold setting two sizes up, particularly as the frame is powder coated, and I'm not sure how it would react with bending the frame

Quick google tells me 126mm was the 5,6,7 speed road o.l.d standard. Maybe you could find a old wheelset....

Ideally you want the same o.l.d as the dropout spacing so you could cold set by 2.5mm either side and then you have to spacing to fit any road wheel set.

Single speed wheels have an o.l.d of 120mm so if you got a single speed wheelset and added some spacers that might work also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just wonder where you might source one of these, I tried a place in Thurles today, they wanted 123 euro for a 5 to 20 Nm one.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement