Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Just wonder where you might source one of these, I tried a place in Thurles today, they wanted 123 euro for a 5 to 20 Nm one.
    Thanks as always

Presume it's a torque wrench your looking for,

Quick Google search shows up loads at a cheaper price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5-20+nm+torque+wrench&oq=5-20+nm&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.7300j0j4&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If you want bricks and mortar, try a motor factors rather than a bike shop.

Personally, I've never used a torque wrench on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I changed both tyres.

Back on two wheels for the first time in 2 years !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i paid 70 or 80 quid for a torque wrench in my LBS. only bought one when i got a carbon framed bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've never used anything other than the free torque wrench that came with the canyon.

Up until I got that I used the German torque spec :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've never used anything other than the free torque wrench that came with the canyon.

Up until I got that I used the German torque spec :D

As an indefatigable Canadian says "Tighten it down till you hear the crack, back it off half a turn, and leave it for the night shift"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Fitted a new (to me) rear and front mech , and hanger to my commuter. I bought new cables but couldn't be bothered to change those yet as the ones on are new enough. Had to shorten the chain as the previous mech was a long reach. I've a slight knock in the slowest gear on the cassette, so that needs more looking at but rain stopped play. I have a new tube to fit to my good bike, but I'll do it in the kitchen later

I also put new pads into the rear brakes, which was a lot more work than I wanted. Seized screws and fun and games...

A bit more on the raw bike today

Such a clean cockpit it's going to be a struggle to fit bar tape and a brake lever.

50004514928_27c6f336cd_w.jpg

New rack fitted, I was originally going to go with chrome but I think this matt grey works better.

50004514843_1225c9e8dc_w.jpg

I'm going to fit wood across the base and try a little shou sugi ban to seal.

50004514878_7339dc6849_w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

@iwillhtfu - looks smashing build indeed! Where did you get the front rack from? I'm looking for something similar for my soon to be built (once I have the frame stripped, repainted, rebuilt lol) commuter. Be keeping an eye out for further progress!

bsb1971 wrote: »
    @iwillhtfu - looks smashing build indeed! Where did you get the front rack from? I'm looking for something similar for my soon to be built (once I have the frame stripped, repainted, rebuilt lol) commuter. Be keeping an eye out for further progress!

Cheers, it's a basil porter front rack https://www.bike24.com/p2130486.html

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Today, I tried to replace my inner tube for a latex one. Ten minutes and a burst latex tube later, today was also the day I learned about the importance of proper rim tape application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Shai wrote: »
    Today, I tried to replace my inner tube for a latex one. Ten minutes and a burst latex tube later, today was also the day I learned about the importance of proper rim tape application.

Are you sure you put the tube properly in the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Tony04 wrote: »
    Are you sure you put the tube properly in the tyre.
    I wish I knew for sure. All I know is that upon inspection there was a perfectly circular hole in the tube in a location that matched exactly with where the rim tape was not properly covering a spoke hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Had a change of mind and shelved plans on steel frame (might get paint job done), so started building up Bianchi Infinito CV. Shifters cables and bar tape yet to be done. Hopefully get them done during the week. Everything bar the seatpost and bottom bracket second hand or used on previous build

Alanbt wrote: »
    Had a change of mind and shelved plans on steel frame (might get paint job done), so started building up Bianch Infinito CV. Shifters cables and bar tape yet to be done. Hopefully get them done during the week. Everything bar the seatpost and bottom bracket second hand or used on previous build

That's a beauty but steel is real :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a tasty looking machine. what was the steel frame you'd planned on doing?

that's a tasty looking machine. what was the steel frame you'd planned on doing?

Picked up a custom Donhou frame second hand on one of the UK forums. Lovely frame, and in great condition (approx 8/9 years old) but now thinking want it to “pop” a little more visually (nothing mad though). Currently dark grey colour

sounds like a lot of work, you should probably sell it. i'll give you a tenner for it, doing you a favour at that price.

sounds like a lot of work, you should probably sell it. i'll give you a tenner for it, doing you a favour at that price.

I have first dibs on it ;):D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113483962&postcount=18

PM me so

I’ll politely tell you to piss off there instead ;)

Double the price for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Had a change of mind and shelved plans on steel frame (might get paint job done), so started building up Bianchi Infinito CV. Shifters cables and bar tape yet to be done. Hopefully get them done during the week. Everything bar the seatpost and bottom bracket second hand or used on previous build

What bottle cages are they?

What bottle cages are they?

Supacaz fly carbon Celeste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Supacaz fly carbon Celeste

Thanks, bank account won't like that. Look well though

Thanks, bank account won't like that. Look well though

Got them a while ago when we’re €25 each. Also use new email address for new customer discount! €10 off order over €50

A little messing around gluing my fingers together this evening. :D I might have to buy a few corked Belgian beers just to try something different. ;)

50012928438_1359716435_w.jpg

50013717992_50affaaed1_w.jpg

50013455931_d2a8c2f7d8_w.jpg

Are you leaving the bars unwrapped?

cletus wrote: »
    Are you leaving the bars unwrapped?

I think I'm going to run it like that for a short while I like the simple look. I do have some brooks tape if it doesn't work out.

A little Shou sugi ban this evening, it's quite therapeutic and not a bad way to fancy up some cheap pine. :)

50016466733_f4f807d936_w.jpg

It'll dry slightly lighter, at this point you can use wood stain and get all kinds of mad effects.

50016994111_559df0c7eb_w.jpg

Thought I was doing a great thing and completing the clean lines

50019536758_14887ce264_m.jpg50020325232_f95c6778eb_m.jpg

but alas it wasn't to be, anybody with a lathe :D

50020325347_891aa7a372_m.jpg50020339342_41fbd3ec8f_m.jpg

The polishing kit arrived though so gave it a quick blast, it's pretty good should've gone for the 6" pads though :D

Gave these cranks a quick lick

50020325287_1ebf93c750_m.jpg50020067026_e86bc64a38_m.jpg

• Advertisement

but alas it wasn't to be, anybody with a lathe :D

50020325347_891aa7a372_m.jpg50020339342_41fbd3ec8f_m.jpg
    i do, but it's a wood lathe. i could make you a solid elm seatpost?

Advertisement