Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

f1000 wrote: »

Nice to see your bike featured on the GCN Tech Show :D

Thank you. Unfortunately the guy with the Trek is beating me 69% to 31% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

So this morning I did something to my face. Did an hour on the turbo, then showered and shaved. Reached for some moisturiser and instead liberally applied chamois cream to my face (I use it most days for its intended purpose and was on auto pilot). I was at the bottom of the stairs when I thought to myself...hold on, something's wrong...

So this morning I did something to my face. Did an hour on the turbo, then showered and shaved. Reached for some moisturiser and instead liberally applied chamois cream to my face (I use it most days for its intended purpose and was on auto pilot). I was at the bottom of the stairs when I thought to myself...hold on, something's wrong...

You really will have a face like a baby's bottom so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Made a half hearted start on the write off frame.

Stripped down and will be sending off for repair,paint or possibly powder coat.

50311582838_1b9d86a8b1_w.jpg50312426677_32533dd7d7_w.jpg

At least one upside to steel is it's pretty easily repaired. :D

50312250151_ce89e89403_w.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen 531 stamped on the BB.

50312250071_a654f89f5b_w.jpg

Dying to put these onto something :)

50312333311_e629643515_w.jpg50312250226_a851c60cfb_w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rewrapped my bars for the first time since I go the bike (10 years ago!) - easy enough job, and a definite improvement. I left some of the old tape on the tops for extra padding, was very comfortable on todays spin. Also flipped the stem as I've been feeling like I'm sitting on the nose of the saddle (which is already all the way forward) - didn't make much difference TBH, probable need a slightly smaller frame, or a shorter stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted new bearings in the front wheel of my winter/wet bike. The wheels are Fulcrum Racing 5 Disc and have just under 4000kms on them. One of the bearings was almost completely seized.

The bearings that were in were 61903-2RS and I had 2 spare ceramic versions of those bearings so fitted them but found that the axle wouldn’t fit through them despite them being identical in number. I measured the inner diameter and it was 18mm on the OE fulcrum bearing but 17mm on the ceramic 61903’s I had fitted.

From googling I found that Fulcrum sneakily use 18307 bearings but use seals for 61903’s most likely in the hope people only buy from them at stupidly inflated prices in the belief that it’s a proprietary part specially made for fulcrum when it’s in reality an off the shelf bearing mislabelled by fulcrum.

Anyway I picked up an Enduro 18307 bearing in my LBS and they actually confirmed that it’s identical to the Fulcrum bearings that they had in stock.

Fitted the new bearing today and it’s perfect.

Just installed this on my bike

526329.jpg

Now the big question. What colour draw cord do I use??

526330.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

After checking over my creaking bike on Saturday, I found the drive side crank to be falling apart (Ultegra 6800). Some kind soul gave me a 6700 crank and after work I fitted it. I wasn’t totally sure a 10 speed crank would work on my 11 speed set up, but it does flawlessly, so I’m happy out now.
    Also heard my BTW has been accepted, so new winter bike on the way soon too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

cletus wrote: »
    Just installed this on my bike

526329.jpg

Now the big question. What colour draw cord do I use??

526330.jpeg

I’d use that orange one to match the bar tape (unless the colours aren’t as close in real life as the picture you posted..)

Think it might be the flash. The 'orange' is actually a golden/yellow colour.

I'm leaning towards black, tbh

• Advertisement

Gravel kings arrived today. I put my boys to bed, and figured I'd throw them on now, and be ready for the weekend.

Spent 20 minutes sweating and cursing while I chased the bead around the rim, having broken two tyre levers. Finally got the bead seated, inflated the tyre, and realised I had a pinch flat, caused by trying to get the tyre on.

Tyre back off, new tube in, tyre back on, inflate the tube, put it back on the bike, and figured I'd do the rear tomorrow.

I measured the width of the Panaracer, and the tyre that's on it, both inflated to about 45psi.

The old tyre reads 39mm, nominal size 40mm
    The Panaracer reads 36mm, nominal size 38mm, although everything online suggests they run big, closer to 40mm

And now a question (there's always a question). Should I be trying to seat the tyre with an air compressor, even though I'm using tubes, or is this discrepancy just one of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭f1000

Today, I fecked another bottom bracket (square taper). I think I snapped the axle. Managed to nurse it home, when it would engage, without slipping. I seem to need an annual BB change :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Square taper?? Jaysus, I'd have thought that's nearly a fit and forget bb, now perhaps brand dependent.

Take a picture when you remove it, I'd like to see the fail point

f1000 wrote: »
    Today, I fecked another bottom bracket (square taper). I think I snapped the axle. Managed to nurse it home, when it would engage, without slipping. I seem to need an annual BB change :mad:

I doubt you've snapped an axle or more so I'd be amazed. The way you describe it engaging sounds more like the freehub to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Made a half hearted start on the write off frame.

Stripped down and will be sending off for repair,paint or possibly powder coat.

50311582838_1b9d86a8b1_w.jpg50312426677_32533dd7d7_w.jpg

At least one upside to steel is it's pretty easily repaired. :D

50312250151_ce89e89403_w.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen 531 stamped on the BB.

50312250071_a654f89f5b_w.jpg

Dying to put these onto something :)

50312333311_e629643515_w.jpg50312250226_a851c60cfb_w.jpg

I think i might of sold you that bike?. Did you buy it in kildare from adverts?

Link below is "bluing" a steel frame. Not to everyone's taste, but definitely an interesting way to protect a raw steel frame

edited to embed video

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the same chemical used to highlight the layered pattern on damascus steel style blades?

No, thats ferric chloride, or muriatic acid. The guy in the video uses a gun bluing product, normally something like selenium dioxide, the link below shows the type of product

https://www.sportsden.ie/birchwood-casey-perma-blue-liquid-gun-blue-kit.html

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I think i might of sold you that bike?. Did you buy it in kildare from adverts?

I honestly can't recall whereabouts but it may well have been. I picked up a pair of bikes from you, the other a ladies step through.

It's now back from the powder coaters and an interesting teal colour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I honestly can't recall whereabouts but it may well have been. I picked up a pair of bikes from you, the other a ladies step through.

It's now back from the powder coaters and an interesting teal colour :D

Yeah thats me. Ha, Small world.

Today I didn't do anything to my bike, but I did start arranging my bike tools in their new tool box

531539.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

QXOwZDHh.jpg

For no other reason than I had it and wondered what difference it would make.

^^^
    Stem and fork? Stem is unusual looking what make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

The steerer on the Storck fork was about 5mm shorter than the Caad so I needed a stem with a lower stack height to clamp it properly. Cheap aliexpress job branded EC90 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001000481633.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65a74c4dGAGITj

Lockdown boredom is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Plastik wrote: »
    QXOwZDHh.jpg

For no other reason than I had it and wondered what difference it would make.

Mudflaps looking a bit long there - extra resistance for training :)?

Was never a fan of those FSA cranksets. Changing those would have been an instant visual improvement!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

cletus wrote: »
    Today I didn't do anything to my bike, but I did start arranging my bike tools in their new tool box

That toolbox is way too neat. What’s the tool at the top of the picture in the bottom tray?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was never a fan of those FSA cranksets. Changing those would have been an instant visual improvement!!!!

Yikes! Plastik ain't gonna thank you fo' dat! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Might have taken the Red theme overboard. May as well keep going with it now

Advertisement