Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Zen0 wrote: »
    That toolbox is way too neat. What’s the tool at the top of the picture in the bottom tray?
    Looks like a bearing puller

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Looks like a bearing puller

Looks like a hammer to me

And toolboxes must be neat and tidy. Nothing worse than spending half the time doing a job looking for tools, I dont leave the shed until all tools are back in their place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yikes! Plastik ain't gonna thank you fo' dat! :o

I just feel sad. Sad for Enfilade and his poor eyesight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Zen0 wrote: »
    That toolbox is way too neat. What’s the tool at the top of the picture in the bottom tray?

This has been answered twice by two different posters, and they're both right. Top left of the bottom tray is soft faced hammer, top right is a bearing puller.

I like to keep my tools neat, hate scrabbling around looking for something.

cletus wrote: »
    This has been answered twice by two different posters, and they're both right. Top left of the bottom tray is soft faced hammer, top right is a bearing puller.

I like to keep my tools neat, hate scrabbling around looking for something.

I was being a messer however... thats a big aul bearing puller, I'd use that on a car

• Advertisement

I was being a messer however... thats a big aul bearing puller, I'd use that on a car

It's the biggest one of a set of three. I used it, unsuccessfully, to pull the cranks off the muddy fox. So it was in the old tool box anyway. I'll likely swap it out for the smallest of the three

Whats in the red box just below? Socket set?

Whats in the red box just below? Socket set?

Yep. Handy little 1/4" set

531597.jpeg

I don't know where else this would belong, but given the posters on here are more likely to be spannering than not, I figured here was as good a place as any

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/toolboxwars-a-battle-between-professional-cycling-tool-nerds/

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

bingobars wrote: »
    Might have taken the Red theme overboard. May as well keep going with it now

You need to change the bar tape and shifter hoods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

bingobars wrote: »
    Might have taken the Red theme overboard. May as well keep going with it now

That's far enough, STOP! :D
    Tony04 wrote: »
    You need to change the bar tape and shifter hoods

vomit.jpg

Fitted the new (to me) longer seat post that I got from 8valve to the muddy fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

After nearly failing to complete an emergency stop on the way home from work, I decided I’d given the brakes on my new bike long enough to bed in and realised they were just crap.
    Swapped out the Ultegra ones from the old commuter and can now stop properly!
    The casting on the front one where the cable lock bolt goes decided to split so I had to swap bits over from the old one. Not being a Shimano brake there were slight differences, but it all works well enough

Latest order from wiggle arrived yesterday. Tried out the chain wear tool, turns out my KMC Z chain is stretched after only 700 miles. Think I'll pick up a Shimano chain on Monday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worn to what extent?

worn to what extent?

The .75% guage on the park tools chain check tool fits in easily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Stuck a pair of jack brown blues onto the croix de fer. they feel a bit tacky to the touch, and went with only a little negotiation.

Very limited test but they feel rather nice I have to say and the tan walls are lovely. 33.3c so bigger tyre than I've had last few weeks, but smaller than I normally had on there

Weepsie wrote: »
    Stuck a pair of jack brown blues onto the croix de fer. they feel a bit tacky to the touch, and went with only a little negotiation.

Very limited test but they feel rather nice I have to say and the tan walls are lovely. 33.3c so bigger tyre than I've had last few weeks, but smaller than I normally had on there

Was actually looking at those earlier, going for £19.99 each on Planet X at the minute, not sure is that a good price or not?

Put a new Shimano chain on, with a Clarks master link. Hopefully I get more out of it than the KMC I took off

that's for a gravel bike, yeah?
    i wonder what the lifetime of a chain normally is on a bike taken off road. i suspect the crud thrown onto it would cause greater wear than what a road bike would usually deal with.

• Advertisement

that's for a gravel bike, yeah?
    i wonder what the lifetime of a chain normally is on a bike taken off road. i suspect the crud thrown onto it would cause greater wear than what a road bike would usually deal with.

Honestly, I think it may be a combination of gravel, muck and shïte, and the wet lube I applied and could never seem to fully clean off.

Also, it seems that KMC make a lower quality chain that gets used to keep down costs on bikes. It would seem whether it has a a master link or not is the clincher*

* This is all gleaned from other forums, so may or may not be true

I've been using KMC chains tge last few years and they have outlasted SRAM and Shimano by at least 3 to 1. Currently have a KMC DLC chain with 3000kms on it and no wear at all. Using wax this time around and I clean it and relube every 1000kms

I've been using KMC chains tge last few years and they have outlasted SRAM and Shimano by at least 3 to 1. Currently have a KMC DLC chain with 3000kms on it and no wear at all. Using wax this time around and I clean it and relube every 1000kms

Don't doubt it at all. Can't find the link to the forum, but the suggestion was that they turn out a number of chains at varying quality.

Just to compare, here's both of the chains, the red dot is the KMC at link 112, and the blue dot is the Shimano at 112

532843.jpg

Bonus points (in whatever imaginary game it is I'm playing this morning) for the first person to identify the parts below

532858.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was actually looking at those earlier, going for £19.99 each on Planet X at the minute, not sure is that a good price or not?

They have been cheaper, I think 2 for 30 at some point, but I needed a new tyre on this bike sooner rather than later. Waited til they dropped from 25 each and needed something else.

Won't have much cycling on them next couple of weeks (getting married during a pandemic) but will report back

Weepsie wrote: »
    They have been cheaper, I think 2 for 30 at some point, but I needed a new tyre on this bike sooner rather than later. Waited til they dropped from 25 each and needed something else.

Won't have much cycling on them next couple of weeks (getting married during a pandemic) but will report back

Ah congrats, we were to do the same back in June. The only thing we were really annoyed about was the honeymoon being off aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bonus points (in whatever imaginary game it is I'm playing this morning) for the first person to identify the parts below

It's a headset cups and bearings the top cap looks unusual or is it a tool. As for the thing on the far left right :D:D I've no idea, is it some kind of steerer shim?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's a headset cups and bearings the top cap looks unusual or is it a tool. As for the thing on the far left I've no idea, is it some kind of steerer shim?

Yep, headset, but for a scooter. The top cap is hidden inside the steerer tube. Eldest fella came in last night and told me his scooter had " an obnoxious rattle".

Turns out the top cap had come off completely. While I had it apart I cleaned and repacked the bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Put a new Shimano chain on, with a Clarks master link. Hopefully I get more out of it than the KMC I took off
    You won't. KMC are far better chains at any price point.

• Advertisement

TychoCaine wrote: »
    You won't. KMC are far better chains at any price point.

Do you think it likely that I'll get less than 700 miles from the Shimano chain?

Advertisement