Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

New Year - new bar tape :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wanna see the full bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sbs2010 wrote: »

Lovely neat looking job. Just waiting for some new gear and brake cables to arrive and I'll do mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

sbs2010 wrote: »

A Colnago master? that doesn't fit perfectly judging by that shocker of a stack under the stem :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    A Colnago master? that doesn't fit perfectly judging by that shocker of a stack under the stem :p:D

Yes ... and probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Finally got this frame built up. Had to visit the local lbs to get the Bb shell chased, was a mess. Still need to find a nice silver seatpost. The frames a bit too big for me, need to change the cockpit for something more upright.

Doesn't look too bad for something from 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Nice job, love the colour.

Listen, I'll take it off your hands, no point having a frame that's too big...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

cletus wrote: »
    Nice job, love the colour.

Listen, I'll take it off your hands, no point having a frame that's too big...

Thanks. Yes, color is great indeed. It did manage to wear off the Reynolds sticker from the seat tube. I had it confirmed from Mercian that it has 531 tubing, but not sure what style of sticker is the correct for period. Would anyone here know which is correct?

Is this one correct https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/products/reynolds-531-j73-77?

Finishing restoring old Irish Army Bike circa 1943. Rear hub is a coaster but I need to go at it again since it goes into neutral after braking. I suspect a set of pawls are sticking due to grease being a bit thick.

Photos?

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Photos?

Here goes

It's one of 3000 BSA Mk5 army bikes built for the Irish Army in the 1940's. Got it in 2001 and only restored it this year. It feels like cycling a very heavy gate. I have another I got in 1991 and used when I wasin school and college which I will restore this summer hopefully.

Info here: https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/1942-bsa-military-mk-v-roadster-ex-irish-army/?tax=tour&tid=50

And here:
    https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/1942-bsa-military-mk-v-roadster-with-rifle-clips/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Quick trial fit. Just waiting on the tyres to arrive. Opted to fit the tyres myself so will follow the process to the letter.

Quick trial fit. Just waiting on the tyres to arrive. Opted to fit the tyres myself so will follow the process to the letter.

Cable outers to red or black i think will look better. Lot of colours there tbh and I'm not sure about how it looks. Definitely won't be going tan wall tyres anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cracker :P

Black cables I reckon. Go red and you'll have the same yellow problem, just not yellow.

Beautiful wheels. May we all get an unexpected blast of good weather to enjoy these recent acquisitions!

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Cracker :P

Black cables I reckon. Go red and you'll have the same yellow problem, just not yellow.

Beautiful wheels. May we all get an unexpected blast of good weather to enjoy these recent acquisitions!

Waiting on that weather alright! I've a couple of other small jobs to do but an hours work at most, brake pads to carbon pads and finally fit the plain black bartape thats been there a long time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one vote here for yellow cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yellow looks great.

Beautiful bike and wheels.
    Must be one of the most iconic manufacture paint schemes. Up there with Bianchi Celeste.

Following on from a suggestion on the "what's in your saddlebag" thread, I decided to put a few wraps of duct tape around my mini pump.

Now anyone can have black duct tape, but I figured mine should match my handlebar tape

539665.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new year added new front wheel and disc brake to the old mtb not bad for less than 100 euro
    539839.jpg

new year added new front wheel and disc brake to the old mtb not bad for less than 100 euro

Looks well, you'd typically run the brake line inside the fork just incase they catch on anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looks well, you'd typically run the brake line inside the fork just incase they catch on anything. :)

yeh was thinking about that but the fork had a cable holder on the fork brace so used it ! dont do much technical !

yeh was thinking about that but the fork had a cable holder on the fork brace so used it ! dont do much technical !

It would be the bit between the cable clamp and the calliper that would run inside the fork leg. It does seem counterintuitive though as it's now closer to the wheel itself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Today I refitted the mudguards that I took off yesterday to clean the bike. Can't set them up without any rubbing now!! If its dry in the morning, I might leave them off for the commute to work (and then probably regret it by the time I come home again) as they drive me nuts!

Front brake wouldn't release properly on the ride home from work. Had a look and found the cable fraying inside the outer. Managed to pull it halfway out and then it jammed. More elbow grease added and it came out. Looks like a load of knitting! Only have gear cables in the shed - typical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My rear brake jammed over the weekend. It turned out* the rear cable had a small kink in it . As luck would have it, I had a spare. As luck wouldn't have it, the end of the cable had a manufacturing flaw that meant it was bigger than the cable itself - no chance of it fitting the outer cables. So off to the LBS for me.

*only after I had removed the whole thing , cleaned it, took it apart, dropped some tiny bits, swore some, found the tiny bits, re-lubed it and reinstalled the assembly

My rear brake jammed over the weekend. It turned out* the rear cable had a small kink in it . As luck would have it, I had a spare. As luck wouldn't have it, the end of the cable had a manufacturing flaw that meant it was bigger than the cable itself - no chance of it fitting the outer cables. So off to the LBS for me.

*only after I had removed the whole thing , cleaned it, took it apart, dropped some tiny bits, swore some, found the tiny bits, re-lubed it and reinstalled the assembly

I know you haven't asked any questions, and the job is already done, but could you not have just snipped of the bit that was too wide?

New brake cable fitted. Front mudguard readjusted to not rub and wreck my head (for at least 5 minutes anyway).
    2 new bottle cages fitted. A different design to any I’ve used before so will have to see how I get on with them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not my bike, but I cleaned up my spare room which is the de facto bike room. Got myself a 4x4 kallax style cube shelving to organise bike cloths and tools etc as well and have a bit more order to it.

We too delivery of a cat yesterday, who has decided that the shelf is his and I've had to remove some stuff from it as he might get stuck behind. Also can't use the turbo trainer while he's getting used to the place!

Advertisement