Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

cletus wrote: »
    I know you haven't asked any questions, and the job is already done, but could you not have just snipped of the bit that was too wide?

I was concerned I wouldn’t get a clean cut. It was also getting cold in the shed. Fitted the new one last night. All good.

Just for the craic, I took a small grinder to the defective cable. It worked surprisingly well in the that the individual strands of the cable stayed together while I removed the extra material on the end of the cable. I now have a spare cable again.

I suspect that, during manufacture, they heated the cable end for too much time and that resulted in a bit of a blob of material stuck on the end, which made the diameter too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A good wire cutter is essential. Cheapo ones make a mess of cables but a good one will go through them like butter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭cletus

A good wire cutter is essential. Cheapo ones make a mess of cables but a good one will go through them like butter

This. Normal wire snips are no good either, they tend to flatten out the cable.

I have cut cables as in the post above, with a small cutting wheel on a Dremel, but the wire cutter is much simpler

Also, with regards to your newly cut, and now spare, cable, I'd put a dab of solder on the top to stop it unraveling. You could probably put an end cap on it too, but it'd annoy me to waste one :D

Well, there's your problem...

540549.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A bit of lithium grease they'll be grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

cletus wrote: »
    Well, there's your problem...

540549.jpeg
    A thinly veiled "i'm married " post :)

secman wrote: »
    A thinly veiled "i'm married " post :)

That's not my wedding ring :D

Although I am married

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i was wondering; a wedding band on the middle finger of the right hand is an unusual position.
    i wore my weddng band for three days, i hate wearing any sort of jewellery. watches too, don't wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’d soak that whole race and bearing set in some diesel for a day or so and then give it all a clean with something to get the rough surface off. Plenty of grease and it should all be grand

I’d soak that whole race and bearing set in some diesel for a day or so and then give it all a clean with something to get the rough surface off. Plenty of grease and it should all be grand

I have them soaking there now, I'll post up a picture when I take them out of that jar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the bearing cage looks a bit beaten up and the bearings look tatty. for the sake of the cost of replacing them, assuming they're easy to get.

the bearing cage looks a bit beaten up and the bearings look tatty. for the sake of the cost of replacing them, assuming they're easy to get.

Ah, you're after ruining it mb. I was going to take a picture of the new bearings, and say that the diesel worked a treat. It was going to be a whole thing :D

i'm just proud that i didn't descend to puerile language to describe the pieces.

i'm just proud that i didn't descend to puerile language to describe the pieces.

No please do, I'm intrigued as to what you had in mind

i'd have to infract myself if i did.

anyway, today i have been polishing my rims.

540765.jpg

Spent a couple of hours today cleaning the winter bike, fair bit of gunk on tbe jockey wheels, cleaned them down, scrubbed the chain, cleaned and oiled the drivechain Oiled a couple of sticky cables, hopefully that will free them up. Rear brake is not fully opening on release,not sure if its the cable thats causing that ? Put a coat of silicone all over bar braking surfaces. Replenished the saddle bag having been caught out with a spent co2 canisters recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Havnt bothered with co2 in ages. Mini pump is grand when you're no more I'm than 5km from home and have the track pump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Had a problem since I bought the bike new a few years ago. When climbing under load in the biggest sprocket the spokes would clip against the inside of the upper pulley cage.

Everything was tuned perfectly, dropout was perfect etc. It was just the design of the Campy type hub did not provide enough clearance. This is well documented on the web. Not a problem with actual Campagnolo hubs apparently.

I got by for years by adjusting the limit screw to prevent me using that sprocket and ran it as a 9 speed rather than 10.

Finally sorted it once and for all by inserting a 1mm spacer on the axle to push the freehub over. Found a perfectly sized 28mm spacer also to close the gap between the outside flange of the freehub and the hub to prevent water getting in to the pawls and bearings.

Nice to have it finally sorted.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Havnt bothered with co2 in ages. Mini pump is grand when you're no more I'm than 5km from home and have the track pump there.

Left my mini pump down in Wexford, picked one uo in CSS yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've got four (if not five) tubeless tires which need to be either changed or installed for the first time. Was planning to do it today but didn't feel like I had built up the patience I worry is needed for this. I don't actually have a rideable outdoor bike at the moment and have been on the turbo since Christmas. One day I will wake up with the motivation needed to do them all in one go.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

I haven't even bothered carrying any spares or pump the last while it'd only be a short walk home. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I haven't even bothered carrying any spares or pump the last while it'd only be a short walk home. :D

Same here, outside of the commute, its going to be an hour at worst, and realistically I'll be alot closer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    ...in cycling shoes!

...in cycling shoes!

I'm usually on the gravel bike these days so wearing comfortable spds. Although I'd probably do the same on the roadie but would likely end up making a call. It's a shorter drive than a walk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Decided that after a long sabbatical that Id get back on a bike, so I recommissioned my genesis equilibrium. Brookes saddle and bar tape added. Now just to finish a service...

IMG-20210127-124623.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Simple one ...maybe ...

Can't decide on ... red bar tape or stick with white ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

So not just today but I've a bit done of work done lately on the bike.

Headset serviced. All good there!
    Inners and outers all replaced with the exception of the front brake cable which is fine
    Removed both brake calipers and cleaned.
    New jockey wheels installed on RD and derailleur removed and cleaned.
    BB bearings replaced
    Front derailleur has to go back on also so I'll probably do that tonight or at the weekend
    New tire needs to go on rear winter wheel
    A couple of cassettes removed from wheels and cleaned and spare cassettes cleaned
    So pretty much a total overhaul of my CAAD12.
    I like that kind of work and there's a nice sense of satisfaction when it's done and everything working perfectly again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Simple one ...maybe ...

Can't decide on ... red bar tape or stick with white ....

Red purely on the basis I can't abide white bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

White bar tape - nice, but not in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Im with ye all on white bar tape ... I actually think it looks class....for a whole 3 mins .....

I don't want to go black ... so I suppose red would be my only other option ....

Advertisement